Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Illusive 22LR/Short/Mag/WMR, and others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mazda3gun

Question The Illusive 22LR/Short/Mag/WMR, and others

*topic said in my best Steve Irwin voice*

Been a while since I've seen a recent topic on the seemingly unattainable rimfire. Though it's not entirely gone, I can get it occasionally here in KY, sometimes it's available across the OH River in OH and WV too. But it's always a little overpriced(over $0.15 a round) and never on the shelf at WalMart anymore, at least not when normal people go there(NOT @ 6-7 AM!!!). I prefer to pay less than $0.10 a round if possible, but that's beginning to be a pipe dream most days.

I've seen it start to make a 'comeback' on Midway's site, at least moderately; 1600 CCI for $99.99(don't buy it all guys! I want some next Thurs if it's available). Other sites still too rich for my blood. Locally, again, hit or miss on stock and prices.

Let's not turn this into a 'I have X-amount of rounds' or something like that. Just curious if there's been an influx of supply, +/-, or if you've noticed a rebound of sorts. It's OK to include other calibers too, sometimes it's hard for me to find my .40S&W ammo too, and I'm picky about my .30-06 ammo I shoot as well.

How goes it where you are? What websites are more promising to get it in stock and have ammo worth buying?

bremereric
    What you looking for by next Thursday. I might be able to spare 525 rounds of 22 lr. send me a PM.

emtrescue6
    I haven't shot anything but reloads for a couple decades in my center fire rifles with very few exceptions...I do have a few 22's and do go through a fair amount of it so I was happy to have stockpiled a little, but now am starting to run low...still very little of it around here. I also have a 17HMR but haven't really had any problems finding it over the last year...with few exceptions that's about all the factory loaded ammo I buy...I did find a deal on 115g FMJ 9mm a few months back in brass @ $11/box of 50....so I bought a case.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I haven't shot anything but reloads for a couple decades in my center fire rifles with very few exceptions...I do have a few 22's and do go through a fair amount of it so I was happy to have stockpiled a little, but now am starting to run low...still very little of it around here. I also have a 17HMR but haven't really had any problems finding it over the last year...with few exceptions that's about all the factory loaded ammo I buy...I did find a deal on 115g FMJ 9mm a few months back in brass @ $11/box of 50....so I bought a case.
    Heck of a deal on the 9! If only I could catch 40 like that!

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda3gun View Post
    Heck of a deal on the 9! If only I could catch 40 like that!
    Yeah I have more 40 brass than I will probably ever need, so no need to buy 40 ammo....I hadn't had a 9 in ages till a couple years back so I had gave away all my 9 brass, but now my wife and daughter are shooting a fair amount of it so needed to build back up a stockpile...

cranebird
    22 mag ammo is crazy, if you find it available here they are getting $25 a box and with the NY safe act bull crap, I am no longer able to order ammo online. I have about 2 boxes left of 22 mag ammo left but will resort to killing something with the .223 or 22-250 instead for the capability of being able to reload it. Who knew a 22-250 could be an all around .22 caliber ?

Like you mazda, I haven't seen 22LR or 22Mag in our local WalMart for well over a year. But I'm not actively searching and am skipping the early morning line up also.

I was able to do some "horse" trading for .17HMR in the flavor my 93R17 likes (17 grain CCI VMax), and then there was some listed at a gun shop in Pa. about 100 miles from me (Trop in Elizabethtown Pa.). I figured time and gas and decided to order by mail- so I'm pretty set for the foreseeable future relative to .17HMR.

I ordered a 500 Rnd. case of SK .22LR which with shipping came out to be $8.00 per box- high I know. I have a decent amount of hunting, plinking .22LR but the MKII likes the SK real well for target so....sigh...

I'll really be glad to see the shelves stocked again- but with all the hoarding and gouging I feel the prices are forever skewed.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

clovishound
    I used to shoot very little .22lr. My daughter started shooting a couple months ago, and fell in love with my Ruger Mark I. Now I have to find enough ammo to satisfy her 200 round per week habit. I'm not complaining, but it certainly isn't as simple as dropping by Wally World on the way to the range anymore.

I have seen a little more on the shelves in the last few months. I missed the 2K buckets that came into Dicks a little over a week ago. My buddy called me, but I was on vacation and missed it. I have picked up about 4 or 5 bricks at Wally World, but you have to check the ammo counter whenever you drop by, and be ready to pick up some if it happens to be there.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by clovishound View Post
    I used to shoot very little .22lr. My daughter started shooting a couple months ago, and fell in love with my Ruger Mark I. Now I have to find enough ammo to satisfy her 200 round per week habit. I'm not complaining, but it certainly isn't as simple as dropping by Wally World on the way to the range anymore.

I have seen a little more on the shelves in the last few months. I missed the 2K buckets that came into Dicks a little over a week ago. My buddy called me, but I was on vacation and missed it. I have picked up about 4 or 5 bricks at Wally World, but you have to check the ammo counter whenever you drop by, and be ready to pick up some if it happens to be there.
    Granted it's been a couple months since I stopped in Wally's specifically for ammo, but they've never had 22 past 8AM as far as I know. The fact you're finding it still on the shelf is a miracle, unless you go at 6AM...

Basic Member
    You folks searching for rimfire ammo ought to try this place: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22wmr/

I've found their information to be pretty current and quite accurate.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    You folks searching for rimfire ammo ought to try this place: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22wmr/

I've found their information to be pretty current and quite accurate.
    Info is current and accurate, true. However, quality and prices are not 'accurate'. Too rich for my blood, and dookie ammo too. Majority of what is in the "good price" range(-$.14 a round) for 22LR is subsonic or all around bad ammo. Personally, I look for standard, if not high, velocity ammo and reputable manuf.
    Even .40 ammo isn't THAT good of a buy from there.

Basic Member
    I can't believe anyone would pay 10 cents a round for 22lr. but I seen them do it. Like they say a fool and his money are soon departed! Last I bought (2 months ago) I paid $22.00 for a brick of 500. Went to another LGS and they were selling 325 tins for $31.00. I laughed. The sad thing is people were buying it like they just struck gold.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I can't believe anyone would pay 10 cents a round for 22lr. but I seen them do it. Like they say a fool and his money are soon departed! Last I bought (2 months ago) I paid $22.00 for a brick of 500. Went to another LGS and they were selling 325 tins for $31.00. I laughed. The sad thing is people were buying it like they just struck gold.
    This is the problem why prices won't go back down. Most are too ignorant to NOT pay the higher prices. I quoted 'good pricing' under $0.14 a round simply due to the fact the better ammo is going to cost more and I really like CCI w/ HPs and how it runs with my 64.
    Again, the fact you're seeing it on the shelf at all is; a) a miracle, b) you get up WAY too early on delivery day, c) it's making a slight comeback in your area and isn't quite there elsewhere lol

mazda3gun
    I just give all my brass, rather leave it on the ground, to my friend that reloads when we shoot at his place.

He's got a Dillon 650 and reloads 9, but keeps telling me I need to buy dies, powder, and primer so he can hook me up....he's lost it...

Joetinva
    I put on a Vintage Military Rifle match at one of my local clubs and had a good turnout using .22 LR as prizes. 1st- brick of Wolf Match Target, 2nd-brick of Eley Sport and 3rd-federal 525 Value pack. Since I won, I broke even with proceeds from entry fees. (of course I lost money if current prices are considered)

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetinva View Post
    I put on a Vintage Military Rifle match at one of my local clubs and had a good turnout using .22 LR as prizes. 1st- brick of Wolf Match Target, 2nd-brick of Eley Sport and 3rd-federal 525 Value pack. Since I won, I broke even with proceeds from entry fees. (of course I lost money if current prices are considered)
    No, you didn't lose anything. You actually kept your dignity by doing the right thing. Current prices, outside of a Big Box store(W*M, Gander, Cabela's, etc.), are too high still. All this talk of supply/demand crap, I may not have a huge supply, but my demand isn't desperate either! Drives me up a wall and onto the ceiling!
    Bu that's not what this thread is for. So, moving on lol.

22 LR and Magnum is almost non existent in my area. Must be made from "unobtainium". I sold my magnum rifle because I couldn't find any ammo for it for a year.

Basic Member
    It is sad that i can shoot my AR cheaper than my 22 plus it is easier to find ammo for.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

mazda3gun
    In other news....

.40S&W has been getting easier and more plentiful it seems. Bulk 12ga is everywhere, and 30-06 usually isn't too hard to find(depending on grain and bullet type)

mazda3gun
    I was able to acquire some 22LR at Wally World due to a 'can't fix stupid' situation. Scored a 225 pack of Rem GBs!

Even though I didn't have much before, or after, getting the 225 pack, I caught wind of a fella in need. I have about 1k rounds +/-, so I'll help out what I can. Of course, I plan on making a buck or two, just not much more than that :). I'm not gonna gouge for something that should be available.

emtrescue6
    Just glad I reload everything....except the rim fire stuff of course. It's kept me on the range uninterrupted during this whole mess....I am not holding my breath this mess will completely end anytime soon. We're only 1 idiot short of being back in a whole new shortage too sadly enough.

mazda3gun
    I agree emt! I've not been short, per se, on anything other than 22. so it's not much of an issue. I really enjoy developing a mean flinch to the bite of my -06 LOL! Seriously though, I'd rather shoot my SR40 and shotguns all day long over shooting a 22, it's such a fun pistol to plink with!

emtrescue6
    LOL...there's a reason I don't own an 06...hahahah I've got 1000 .40 cases prepped and ready to hit the Dillon...a few hours in the reloading room and we're set! I too prefer to run my bigger guns....my wife and daughter on the other hand can go through 300-800 rounds of 22 over a long weekend....I stocked up several years ago, so have been good on 22 and 17HMR (although it really hasn't been all that hard to find)...and I've been able to find a little 22 here and there to keep me topped off....

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    LOL...there's a reason I don't own an 06...hahahah I've got 1000 .40 cases prepped and ready to hit the Dillon...a few hours in the reloading room and we're set! I too prefer to run my bigger guns....my wife and daughter on the other hand can go through 300-800 rounds of 22 over a long weekend....I stocked up several years ago, so have been good on 22 and 17HMR (although it really hasn't been all that hard to find)...and I've been able to find a little 22 here and there to keep me topped off....
    If only I reloaded...

The 22 is here, just not the price. That junk's lost somewhere in time! LOL!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast