Thread: 300 rum free bore

Luke45

300 rum free bore

So I picked up an rum for cheap.... New caliber for me.

I've heard Rums have extreamly long freebores, and your supposed to jump the bullet to get longer pressure peaks and reach higher velocity, is this true?

Scopeye?

I am not really familiar with this with this round, but from what I have read on they inter-net, they take advantage of they extra free-bore that is provided.

Just kidding that goes for most magnums, in all fairness all my stuff is machined with more freebore, and I end up jumping the land almost 100 thou on all my rounds.

so to answer your question yes,yes, and yes.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Luke45
    Thanks dean! Have you had problems loading then to mag length In a repeater or are all of yours single shot?

My Coal is 3.50" so no problems with a repeater, but I still load one at a time, you need to compose yourself between RUM rounds.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    My Coal is 3.50" so no problems with a repeater, but I still load one at a time, you need to compose yourself between RUM rounds.

Dean
    Haha thanks for the advice! im excited/scared to try it. As it sits right now, its 100% factory and only wieghs about 8 lbs. will this kill me?

whats your advice on a build? is a brake 100% nessesary? i wanting to make it a longish range elk rifle, and keep below 12 lbs for hiking

They only way to find out is try it, everyone pain tolerance is different, but lets not kid ourselves how many shots will you take in a year, so you will probably be able to get by without a brake.

Dean

I have an older 116 FLSAK lefty in 300RUM. I'm not a big fan of long freebore and prefer a rifle that a mag length round will reach the lands. My factory rifle doesn't seem to have long or excessive freebore. When doing load development I usually start jammed (for consistency) and work up. Once I find a node I'll go from there adjusting my OAL.
    My rifle is factory so weighs about the same as yours. I was scared of it at first because I bought it from a big ol dude who couldn't handle it. He was very tall and when he shot it from a bench he was bent over so far that the rifle basically rested on his collar bone. After five rounds down range and a low ball offer from me (I matched a pawn shop offer) it was my problem. LOL.
    I bought a beartooth neoprene slip on recoil pad and stacked all the foam spacers inside it and opened the brake for my first couple of shots.
    My initial impression was that it wasn't that bad. I removed some of the spacers and eventually settled on a regular limb saver slip on pad.
    As far as the brake goes In my opinion it's mandatory for this caliber. I have inadvertently fired mine with the brake closed and it's pretty brutal. One thing's for sure, I knew immediately that the brake was closed without looking or having to have anyone tell me. Kind of embarrassing but I've made this mistake more than once but never more than once on the same day. LOL
    If you wanted something to reach a long way well you certainly have it now. As a matter of fact it will reach a long, long, long, long way.
    I haven't shot an elk with mine and I wont use it on white tails because it blows em to smithereens. I have shot two whitetail deer with mine, It was on the same day and both were reduced to purple mush in a deerskin bag at 250 yards with a Remington factory loaded 180gr sirocco bonded. Remington had so many complaints of this that they now offer ammo in 3 power levels. Choose your ammo wisely. Prior to owning this I was of the opinion that there was no such thing as too much gun or too dead. Now I have seen both.
    One final thought and a word of caution. Though the perceived recoil may not seem overly bad and may not leave you with a black and blue shoulder, or even a tender shoulder, the repeated effects of shooting a .300RUM is cumulative. I was doing some load testing and sat down at the bench and fired about 40 or 50 in a day. I went home and everything was fine. I woke up the next day experiencing chest pain. My wife insisted that I go to the doctor and get checked out. I didn't even think about the previous days range session and the doc proceeded to run at least a gazillion expensive tests related to chest pain. When the results came in they said I had separated my ribs from my sternum. That's when I remembered the only thing that could have done it.
    I haven't had the RUM out of the safe in a very long time.
    Not sure living down in Georgia why I even keep it around. One things for sure if one of those pesky rhinos, elephants or dinosaurs ever gets in my garden, I'm ready.
    Don't be scared of it just respect it and use it in moderation.
    Good luck,
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Hat's off to you guys firing that cannon--300 win mag is as far as I'll go. But honestly--with a good brake and stiff pillar it is very manageable.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Luke45
    Thanks a lot guys!! I went and shot it today, only lasted 6 rounds. I felt like a 9 year old kid shooting a 30-06 for the first time

That sounds just about right.LOL

Dean

Luke45
    Well, it was decently accurate for closing my eyes, pointing the rifle in the general direction of the target, and jerking the trigger while softly crying to myself. (Hard plastic 1/4" recoil pad)

Two Words Baby, "Limb Saver" It makes a word of difference the best 20 bucks you can spend.

Dean

Luke45
    Thanks dean! Mi pf think with a decent recoil pad it will deffinitly be manageable!

Take a look at these guys, clamp on muzzle brake, good reviews and wont break the bank.

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?mai...roducts_id=180

Dean

Luke45
    dang dean that looks slick! i wonder if on a skinny facoty 26" barrel it would act like a whip or not??

I've had several Witt brakes on several different rifles--and my opinion is that at best they were neutral in effect (and sometimes made things worse)--in other words didn't really do much of anything. The one Kantrol brake I bought and put on my 300 win mag--at least once they sent me the right one--really does reduce felt recoil somewhat--but most importantly significantly reduces muzzle lift and gives a nice straight back recoil. It's not going to win any beauty contests though. YRMV
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]