Thread: Loose Primers

Loose Primers

Was putting in some primers In my 7mm rem mag and was surprised with how easy they went in. I can get them to fall out with a small tap on the counter. I double checked I was using magnum large rifle primers so that's not the cause. Assuming I should just use these cases for scrap metal and buy new brass? Any ideas of the cause?

Also would I be able to punch out the primers and reuse them without damaging the primers?

emtrescue6
    If the primers are that loose, the brass is beyond it's useful life and should be tossed. I have been successful at removing new primers, but be careful and go slow...if your pockets are that loose they should come out easily.

I never disguard brass, until I can see daylight though it, so here you go, I figure it will pay for itself after only 50 pcs of brass, that I other wised would have chucked, my good old stand by trick is to use a drop of super glue to hold the primer in one tube fixes hundreds of cases, all it takes is a drop, that fix has been use for years with the benchrest guys.

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddeta...dhb-f-swage-lg

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I never disguard brass, until I can see daylight though it, so here you go, I figure it will pay for itself after only 50 pcs of brass, that I other wised would have chucked, my good old stand by trick is to use a drop of super glue to hold the primer in one tube fixes hundreds of cases, all it takes is a drop, that fix has been use for years with the benchrest guys.

Dean
    Dean you are much braver than I am. I don't trust my eyes and face to super glue. If it does not take good pressure to insert a primer it goes in the trash. Your eyesight is not worth a cheap brass case.

The super glue just holds the primer so it does not fall out, it is not used to hold the pressure, when the case is fired the primer will expand to the walls of the primer pocket, and will not let any more gasses by, than if the pocket were snug.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

emtrescue6
    hahahaha oh my, only Dean!

He's right though, the superglue only hold it in place, once fired the primer should expand to fill the pocket unless it's super loose....that being said, my questionable brass hits the recycle bucket for the next crazy rise in brass prices.

Looks like I've got a simple solution for the brass I have with loose primers for now. Will probably turn them into scrap metal after firing them and move on to new brass. I've got enough spare change to get new brass so it's not worth the hassle to keep gluing them!

The swage tool dean posted works great and is worth the money. The reason your primer pockets are loose is because you are probably running a fairly hot load. Back off a half grain or so or your going to have the same problem with new brass.

pitsnipe
    [QUOTE=scope eye;259295]I never disguard brass, until I can see daylight though it, so here you go, I figure it will pay for itself after only 50 pcs of brass, that I other wised would have chucked, my good old stand by trick is to use a drop of super glue to hold the primer in one tube fixes hundreds of cases, all it takes is a drop, that fix has been use for years with the benchrest guys.

OK, I apologize ahead of time Dean if this is a stupid question. So after the super glue trick, and shot. Is the brass then headed to the recycle bucket because you cant get the glued in primer out? Just don't see them coming out too easily then.

Snipe

Basic Member
    snipe, the glued primers will come right out with your decapping die. They are broken loose during firing and pushed back against the bolt face to take up the .002-.003 depth below the base they should be seated.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post

Dean
    Super glue???
    You use super glue on your primers???
    Anyone else and I might be surprised. The way you load 'em I'm surprised they stay together at all.

OP - You tried using CCI primers? I like Fed brass which usually lets Win primers fall out after 4 to 6 firings. CCI primers give me another 5 to 6 firings.
    Or, go with Deano's solution and get a tube of Liquid Nail and a caulking gun.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    For me chancing a blown primer and a scarred bolt face isnt worth a pc of brass. I hand prime, if it goes in very easily i tap it hard on the bench a few times.
    If it comes out or even partially out the case gets chucked. i know guys who do the glue thing for 1 more time. Also a few who use the tool. I'll buy brass.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    OP - You tried using CCI primers? I like Fed brass which usually lets Win primers fall out after 4 to 6 firings. CCI primers give me another 5 to 6 firings.
    You can also try Wolf or Tula primers as they tend to be a tad larger.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Ok here it goes, the glue is just to hold the primer in place, so it does not fall out when you are adding powder or cycling it, it has nothing to do with it as far as holding it in when firing, the pressure when firing will expand it to the sides of the primer pocket just like it does any other time, and yes they come out easy when decapping them.

Dean