Thread: Boyd's stocks for Hog Hunter

Basic Member
    Beaver Dam, Wi. 8 mi from the biggest cattail marsh in the US

Boyd's stocks for Hog Hunter

Has anyone on this site replaced the tupperware stock on the Savage Hog Hunter with a Boyd's stock?
    If so was it a "drop-in" fit? Also.......if you had a choice between a conventional stock or a thumbhole what would you choose?
    This rifle is to be used for hunting more than target shooting.

campdude
    I have ask similar questions about his stocks and if they will require work to fit the factory barrel and can't seem to get any response.
    So bump for a good subject.

Basic Member
    I put mine in a tacticool. Opened up the barrel channel a bit 'cuz I like a lot of space there. Can't remember if I had to or not.

I think all of their stocks will accept the HH barrel if you are willing to open it up a bit. It isn't hard to do. Just sand it down using a dowel or a long socket. Be sure to seal the wood with Birchwood Casey stock seal or something similar when done.

I have a couple thumbholes I like shooting off the bench with. Don't think I'd want to hunt with it, though. Not sure why except I know I like to be able to shoot with either hand. Tough to do with a thumbhole.

campdude
    Yeah, I don't care for the thumbhole stocks and like a more classic style, as you said if needed you could shoot it left handed.

Basic Member
    I purchased the featherweight thumbhole for a HH I had, knowing I would open up the channel. The barrel I believe is medium heavy and didn't want a lot of open area around the barrel towards the forend of stock. With a little work I opened it up with sand paper and socket. It takes a while but was worth it. There was probably 1/8 in or so of material on each side with barrel floated. I have since removed and sold the stock because I found out I dont like that style thumbhole. That HH is now a 6.5 CM in an HS Precision. For the HH barrel size I believe any Boyds configuration ordered with factory channel, with some sanding, will ultimately look and work best. For an idea on look, check out my ad in "Non Savage Firearms". It's a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in a walnut Prairie Hunter. That barrel is heavier than HH and it started as factory channel. It's not a HH buts shows it can be done. I just learned how to post pics and there are a few on there that shows the barrel and channel.