Thread: Savage shotgun Quiz:Super Rare????

heatshield

Savage shotgun Quiz:Super Rare????

heatshield
    talk to me what is it????????

Savage Model 69 Vietnam Commemorative Combat Shotgun. They were commissioned by The American Historical Foundation and they were basically made out of the left-over parts Savage (Industries) had laying around the parts dept. after they had discontinued all pump-auction shotgun production after 1979. Not sure how many were made or sold, but I see them come up from time to time on Gun Broker and Auction Arms. That said, I don't think this is one of them, or if it is it's been badly Bubba'd which would kill any additional value over a standard Model 67. I can't say for 100% certainty as these were never cataloged due to being commissioned guns, but based on several searches I'm inclined to believe that this is a fake that someone's put together to try and get a little extra money out of an otherwise very cheap shotgun.

Every photo of a Commemorative (save one) shows walnut furniture and a totally different engraving pattern (see pics below). The one and only photo I can find of one with this style engraving and a synthetic looking stock is actually the exact same photo as the first one above. Nowhere - not on Google Images, Photobucket, Flickr, Bing Images, etc. am I able to find another photo of a Commemorative that looks like this. Based on the photos above it appears to me it could be original walnut furniture that's been painted with truck bed liner, but without seeing it in person that's just an assumption.

Here's what they're supposed to look like with the original display case and commemorative plaque.

Just the gun (without display case) in very good to excellent condition they usually go for between $300 and $400. With the case and in mint/unfired condition I've seen them go for anywhere from $500 to $700.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

heatshield
    man,,you're right on target with your post,thankyou for your input,,I didn't know about these Vietnam commemortives until about 04 when I bought this gun book and the book had a paragraph about them,,I'v allways liked the black one over the lighter one,gonna pick one up someday,Cheap shotgun -yes,,but I have A soft spot for them,call it a passion.Tonight I'll post that article and its pics,,seeya