Thread: Anyone have information about the Savage 11 VT. Gun built for Dick's Sporting Goods?

Jeff T

Anyone have information about the Savage 11 VT. Gun built for Dick's Sporting Goods?

Hello,

I'm a newbie to centerfire rifle's and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Savage 11VT being sold by Dick's Sporting Goods? It's got a 24" heavy contour free floated barrel, accutrigger, and Bushnell 4-12x 40 scope. For around $600.

I'm going to use it as a range gun to get more proficient at target shooting. I'm going with .223 since it's cheaper to shoot, has lower recoil, and the ammo is more readily available. Once I feel more confident with centerfile rifles, I'll work on the .270 and then get a .308. My range only goes to 300 yards so there's no need to try a .338. Plus my eyesight is very poor so I'd have to get a 50x scope to see that far.. Ironic that I choose a hobby that relies on eyesight and my eyes are so bad...

And speaking of bad eyesight... Should I stick with the Bushnell 4-12x40 or get something different? What brand? What magnification?

Thanks for any light you can shed about this rifle. At $600 and the Savage reputation for accuracy I think it's a good deal but I'd rather hear from someone who's actually fired 1.

1375619cm3
    I own a 11vt in 243... I like it a lot its a nice entry rifle/ hunting rifle. The scopes ok depending on distance and what your shooting at. I'm not a big fan of tge scope base and rings tho. The accutrigger is nice to be able to adjust to ur comfort and they are a real solid shooter. I plan on getting a boys thumbhole stock for mine and new scope rings n base in the future. I just want a higher power scope for the woodchucks that are around the 300 yard mark. But I've only missed one varment disposal shot with it so far and that was a woodchuck at 327 yards with around 10 mph crosswind. Right now it eats up federal cheep ammo 100 grain 243 and shoots easily under moa at a hundred. I'd say buy it you won't regret it. Sry for the long reply.
    Cody

Jeff T
    Hey Cody,

Thank you. Just the info I needed to know "nice entry rifle", "solid shooter", "eats up federal cheap ammo",and "shoots easily under moa at a hundred". I am always wary of the scopes included with package deals but I'll try it first and see if it's OK before I go spending more money. Did you pick this rifle up at Dick's? I know they have it in .223 and .308 I didn't know about .243.

This sounds like a good rifle for me to start with and learn to be a better shooter.

P.S. NOT a long reply on your part!!! Your reply was to the point and full of good information. I'd rather have a "long" reply with good information than a short yes/no reply.

1375619cm3
    Ya I got mine on ducks had to hunt for it they are low production numbers so they are limited. I had to call dicks hq and savage a bunch to finally get one. I think when they shipped mine to my local dicks for me they only ship 10 to ohio total and around 100 nationwide.

fastbob49
    Also check Cabela's for Model 11 Prairie dog in 223 or 22-250. These were on sale recently for 419. Also look for 10T in 308 with accustock goes for 599.

Jeff T
    Thanks again Cody. Also good to know this is a limited production run.

Jeff T
    fastbob49: Thank you for the alternate suggestions. I may not get the money put aside in time to pick up 1 of those 11 VT's so I'll go for 1 of you suggestions.

1375619cm3
    As far as I know its not a limited time production its just the 243s are not as sought after. Good luck with whichever one u decide and remember post pics or it didn't happen.

Oscarflytyer
    Recently bought the 11 VT from Dick's. Was on sale as a replacement for the Rem that was on recall. $449, $389 with the coupons I had. Mine is 308. Put a bipod on it. Recoil is neglible, imo. Gun weighs nearly 10 lbs, so weight and pad soak up most of the recoil of it. I am not real recoil sensitive, but also had shoulder reconstruction. I can shoot it from the bench for extended sessions, no problem.

Mine shot awful groups out of the box, but after 30 rds, and a fouled bore, it is come around in a hurry. So far, only ~55 rds thru it. But I like it, and so far, the scope too. I plant o shoot it a lot, and work on some eventual upgrades. But right now, it is a nice rifle/scope combo at the price point. And my accutrigger is about 32-34 oz - out of the box...!

Jeff T
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this rifle Oscar.

I know there are different ways to break in a barrel. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the clean it after every shot for the first 20 to 30 OR let it build up some fouling before cleaning. I'll probably let it get fouled up first since that seems to be working for you with this particular rifle.

Oscarflytyer
    I have never done the one shot/clean/one shot method. YMMV. But I am in the school that says that more damage occurs from a cleaning rod than form bullets down the tube...

Jeff T
    Good point about he cleaning rod. I have alwasy wondered about that because no matter how careful I try to be I do seem to touch the barrel with the cleaning rod. My only hope is the rod is made out of a softer metal than the barrel so I don't cause any dammage. .

shooter0311
    I just picked up a new model 11 VT in .243. Haven't shot it yet, but looking forward to it. I'd like to get a new stock put on ASAP, but I'm to the Savage line and am slightly confused by the interchangeability of the stocks. Also, I'm thinking about swapping out the bottom 'metal' (plastic) for a CDI or Badger type removable magazine system. The plastic magazine doesn't look like it would last a frigid Wisconsin winter of full of hunting abuse. Not sure if this makes it easier/harder to find a replacement stock? I'm a fan of the Choate tactical stocks, but it doesn't look like they have anything made for the VT yet. Any advice on what stocks would fit the rifle, ammo selection (also, my first rifle in .243) would be greatly appreciated.

U have a short action, now check where the safety is. Then measure the distance between the screws (front 2)