Hello,

I'm a newbie to centerfire rifle's and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Savage 11VT being sold by Dick's Sporting Goods? It's got a 24" heavy contour free floated barrel, accutrigger, and Bushnell 4-12x 40 scope. For around $600.

I'm going to use it as a range gun to get more proficient at target shooting. I'm going with .223 since it's cheaper to shoot, has lower recoil, and the ammo is more readily available. Once I feel more confident with centerfile rifles, I'll work on the .270 and then get a .308. My range only goes to 300 yards so there's no need to try a .338. Plus my eyesight is very poor so I'd have to get a 50x scope to see that far.. Ironic that I choose a hobby that relies on eyesight and my eyes are so bad...

And speaking of bad eyesight... Should I stick with the Bushnell 4-12x40 or get something different? What brand? What magnification?

Thanks for any light you can shed about this rifle. At $600 and the Savage reputation for accuracy I think it's a good deal but I'd rather hear from someone who's actually fired 1.