Thread: Cabelas Model 10T

bowman69

Cabelas Model 10T

Ok so this is my first Savage... If you are not familiar with it, it's a Cabelas exclusive Model 10 308 24"bull bbl accu-trigger with BA handle dropped in an accustock topped with ECW rail...Pretty nice package for 6 bills... So being unfamiliar with tinkering around with Savages I have a concern...
    First off operation and function is flawless, I have not bought a scope for it yet still going back and forth between a Weaver tactical, Swfa, and Sightron...
    Anyways back on subject:
    When the the bolt is not engaged(Post fire or otherwise) there is a fair amount of play the the handle..So much that the a
    is an audible rattle... The sound seems to be coming from the the rear baffle hitting the receiver but I'm not 100% that's the only place it's coming from...My question is is this normal and if so how do I tighten up the "slop" or at the very least stop the annoying clanking??
    Thanks and hope the explanation is understandable...

Basic Member
    Normalcy. But won't rattle when cocked so hunting not an issue. Just to be sure tighten the Allen wrench head in back of bolt. That'S the BAS bolt assembly screw. If its loose it will also rattle more. But if it functions fine it is probably tight.

bowman69
    Wow...Really??? I realize there has to be some play... My Ruger, Remmy, and Cooper all have some play but holy moly...I don't make it a point to carry a loaded gun to the stand and I promise the amount of clank this is making would wake a sleeping bear...

Basic Member
    Well, I don't know, of course, without seeing/haring it.

Assuming it's normal, I'd suggest caring it to your stand cocked with an empty chamber.

bowman69
    I find it hard to believe this is normal but I've been wrong more than once... If so it will promptly find a new home...
    My dad has a two model 12s... One a 12FV 204 the other a 12LRPV in 6BR and neither "rattle"...

Basic Member
    If you have something to compare it with, and it is different than those, then I would call Savage, see what they say. I have about 15, some of them rattle a bit if the pressure on the pin is released. But give them a chance.

bowman69
    Here's how and what I've determined...I found the point of sound by simply putting sticky one side felt on this and that until I could no longer hear the clank... Turns out it's the handle itself hitting the bottom of the slot in the receiver...No worries nothing a fine file will not fix... The other epiphany I had was "when have I ever unloaded a gun and released the tension on the pin???"... I know I do it when I safe guns but couldnt think of a case where I do it hunting or at the range... Thus the guns are essentially cocked... So I left the felt on for now and stuck in a spent case, guess what, zero sound...bet you could seen my smile from space...Next I ejected the case, and this time chambered nothing... Put the safety on and again zero noise...Although there is still some jiggle in the handle and noise coming from the lugs and bolt body when not engaged and chamber empty...Not too worried about after all I've come to the conclusion that is just the nature of the savage design...Later down the road I may replace it with a PTG but for now she's just fine...Guess you live and learn... Thanx Foxx for the encouragement to stick with it...
    I said earlier in the thread Ive been wrong before :) probably won't be the last time...

Basic Member
    Glad to hear it.

Don't worry about dry firing occasionally. I dry-fire mine all the time, never an issue. Some say it will eventually cause a break, but don't believe it, especially if it's only done occasionally. Also, if you pull the trigger while closing the bolt, it will gently lower the firing pin safely releasing the spring pressure.

Basic Member
    Also, thinking about it, I still think you might have a lose bolt handle. try tightening it.

bowman69
    First thing I tried