Thread: Powder safe?

Basic Member

Powder safe?

I just came across 2 lbs. of IMR3031 for free. It's in the old metal can (see pic) It's been properly stored and should do fine in my 308, but I got an uneasy feeling about it.
    It says "formerly supplied by DuPont" on the top of the can (visible in pic) I just want to be sure this is the same stuff that now comes in the plastic jugs. IMR still lists a charge for it. Any reason why I shouldn't give it a shot?

[COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    If WWII or Korean war surplus ammo is safe to shoot, why not that?

Is there WWII or Korean War surplus ammo around?? LOL

Basic Member
    If it looks, smells and tastes OK its probably OK.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

emtrescue6
    Should be A-OK as long a it has been stored properly. I have a couple pounds of surplus powder (4895) that my grandfather bought in the early 60's (it's the last of what was a 50 pounder).

Patch700
    It is indeed the same product , Dupont \ IMR same company if you will.... Even if the seals are not broken I would (out of curiosity) transfer that powder to an appropriate labeled plastic one.. Have seen old tins of 7828 that were untouched yet had rust inside at the lower portions that may not have been noticed till a person got to that point. Good find by the way

Mike Vegas
    I disassembled some corrosive FN 51, 52, 53 30-06 and re-used the powder and they shot just fine... dump the powder out in a pan and have a look at it, if they are not clumped together or shows odd discoloration then use it as fertilizer... But if the can is stored in a cool dry place and sealed, I'm sure it will be safe to shoot...