Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened 22-250!

stewart3

What happened 22-250!

punched a primer today. I'm a hand loading rookie but, I've read a lot and have a mentor. My charge is no where near max, brass is middle of the road and only fired twice. I've been methodical about prep and measurements. Bolt stuck, primer gone, case stuck what the f*** happened!

Basic Member
    Have you used that same bottle of powder before? Maybe it has been tampered with?

Is there a chance you had some other powder mixed into that load somehow?

Was the bullet seated long and therefore jammed into the lands? (not likely to cause it, but grasping at straws, anyways).

stewart3
    I only keep one keg of powder on the bench at once. Also, all I have is 5lbs of powder all unopened except the one I've been working with. The federal brass I switched to seems to have slightly large primer pockets for the Winchester primers I have.

Basic Member
    I may be wrong, but a blown primer due to loose pockets will not cause a stuck bolt. The bolt would only stick if the load was too hot. ???

Varget? I have some that seems to be much hotter than what others report to have used in the past.

Basic Member
    Do you weigh each load or rely on accurate measure from your measurer/dispenser? I'm guessing most people don't weigh every load, but I do.

stewart3
    This factory tube likes 38.5 of cfe max is 39.2 and I've worked up to max with no pressure signs. Would have gone hotter but, had best groupings with aforementioned charge. This one likes a little jump so, I had 20rnds of different lengths trying to dial it in and then failure.

stewart3
    I measure each load on a rcbs 10/10.

Basic Member
    I don't know... Forget about it.

Basic Member
    I had the exact same thing happen with my Stevens 200 in 22-250 when I used CFE 223.... I pulled all mine after that one round and went back to H380....
    MOAON AABE

I am surprised to hear you had problems with CFE223, I use it in all my Varmint application now.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    When I first started handloading I had the same thing happen... I don't remember the powder or even which gun/caliber. I never figured out whether it was me or a particular component or even a problem with the rifle. In any event, I eventually decided all I could do about it was to rededicate myself to being diligent about what I do and it hasn't happened again. Whether it was my fault or not, I'm glad it happened because it sure got my attention and forced me to respect the hazards of reloading.

Who knows? Maybe it was divine intervention! :)

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by stewart3 View Post
    This factory tube likes 38.5 of cfe max is 39.2 and I've worked up to max with no pressure signs. Would have gone hotter but, had best groupings with aforementioned charge. This one likes a little jump so, I had 20rnds of different lengths trying to dial it in and then failure.
    how much does all effect pressures ? Does longer oal decrease or increase pressure ?

stewart3
    thanx guys. I pulled bullet from next round charge weighed exactly what it was supposed to. although, I did read that loose primers can cause this and these are pretty easy to prime and the pocket is deep. Lucky, seems to be no damage to bolt face. I'll soot a fired round and see if the shoulders need a bump but, these have only been fired a couple times. The powder has been working great, maybe to clean takes a bunch of foulers to start grouping after cleaning. I'll take 'em apart and start over. Yes foxx it got my attention!

Basic Member
    Cranebird:

If the bullet is jammed into the lands, pressure is increased b/c the bullet must overcome the initial "hold" the lands have on the bullet before "breaking free". Kinda like if you try to drive your car over a curb when you start-out against the curb. On the other hand, if you allow for a jump (gap ahead of the lands) the bullet has a "running start".
    Last edited by foxx; 04-29-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Basic Member
    Maybe check to be sure the chamber is clean and not gummed up. That could also cause a pressure spike, just like jamming the lands.

stewart3
    Bullet was 15th off lands and I just cleaned my chamber recently. This is clean powder. Crane I started at 10th off lands and when shorter from there. I will completely clean my rifle including the bolt and start all over. Primers at 38.5 charge are a little flat but no cratering to speak of. I would send some pics but this computer is new and I'm struggling with photobucket.

Basic Member
    Bullet was 15th off lands and I just cleaned my chamber recently. This is clean powder. Crane I started at 10th off lands and when shorter from there. I will completely clean my rifle including the bolt and start all over. Primers at 38.5 charge are a little flat but no cratering to speak of. I would send some pics but this computer is new and I'm struggling with photobucket.
    That's why I said forget about it... You are paying attention to all that can be done and that's about all you can do. If it continues, I'd say get new and different brass (maybe Lapua). The rifle my not like what you have.

And keep in mind cleaning the chamber takes more attention and different tools than the bore. Might need a big chamber brush. I sometimes have my chambers polished by a smith. (maybe I did that with the one I had this happen to)

stewart3
    I wrap a patch around one size larger brush and use paste or solvent and scrub thirty revolutions or so repeat till patches are clean for my chamber. Then I do the bore. I do this every time I clean but I like the way it shoots fouled. Maybe I'll pull the barrel and polish the chamber just in case?

I would ease off on the lands, and give the round some breathing room to start with, lets say 50 thou then ease in to 40, 30, ect, until you you start seeing sighs of pressure, when ever I run into pressure I don't take them apart, I just run them though the seating die again, and set the bullets deeper usually 20 thou does the trick.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I only keep one keg of powder on the bench at once. Also, all I have is 5lbs of powder all unopened except the one I've been working with. The federal brass I switched to seems to have slightly large primer pockets for the Winchester primers I have.
    Did you start over with a minimum charge and work up after switching brass. Brass varies greatly in capacity and can cause problems.

Just a thought.
    Gary B.
    Last edited by GaryB; 04-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Basic Member
    I wrap a patch around one size larger brush and use paste or solvent and scrub thirty revolutions or so repeat till patches are clean for my chamber. Then I do the bore. I do this every time I clean but I like the way it shoots fouled. Maybe I'll pull the barrel and polish the chamber just in case?
    Sounds like a good plan. I try to LIGHTLY clean the bore so it keeps its copper fouling. I would think chamber, though, should be as clean as we can possibly make it.

Basic Member
    If anyone knows how to flirt with high pressure and safely push the envelope, Dean's the man!

In all my years of shooting, I have experienced harder than usual bolt lift "nothing extreme" just noticeable, and flat primers some flatter than others and even case separation, but I have never blown out a primer, "knock on wood" some may call it luck, I call it being aware of limitation, me, my gun, and they ammo, it does not happen overnight there was a lot of time invested.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 04-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.

stewart3
    Thanks again guys! I took one apart to check my charge it was right on. I might be long I checked several times and got consistent readings on this chamber. Although, I could have been pulling the bullet out slightly on extraction and I did pull the ejector. Dean I am going to take your advice and run those rounds down deeper the chambering tension seems heavy. I put a candle to fired case and it came out with good contact high on the shoulder.

cranebird
    No problem,I was thinking that you were getting too close on your oal limit but being reborn to reloading again I 'd forgotten a lot of things that I knew 30 years ago.I'm glad you've got it sorted and thank you.I am constantly learning.

Ivan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast