Thread: reloading for a 12" 308 pistol (not a striker)

Basic Member

reloading for a 12" 308 pistol (not a striker)

getting a 12" single shot pistol in 308 win and was wondering if anyone has any bullet weight and powder combo's (not charge weight i'll work up ) that would work in that short of a barrel. i've been thinking about 130-150 gr. heads and know i should be going with a faster burning powder (use varget and rl-15 in my f class rifles) any ideas ? the pistol is a ssp91 rotory breach pistol my father had one in 357 mag years ago and it was nasty accurate.

TC260
    Just use the same powders you're using in your f-class rifle. Ive reloaded lots of rifle cases in pistol length barrels and the powders that yielded the best accuracy and velocity in long barrels do the same in short.

+1

Don't get too caught up in it. Use which ever load that gives you the most accuracy.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    I would think with the short barrel not all the powder would be burnt

Sent from my HP 7 using Tapatalk

TC260
    Yes it sounds logical but appropriate powders for a given cartridge aren't determined by barrel length. They're determined based on the dynamics of what's happening inside the case before the bullet has moved an appreciable distance. If you move towards faster than normal powders it'll end up working the same way as if you used the same powders in a rifle. Pressures build too quick and the result is less velocity. I'm looking at an old manual that has some 30-30 "pistol" data which is basically a mix of "normal" 30-30 powders and some faster pistol powders. Even in a 10" barrel the pistol powders show velocities up to 350+fps slower that the standard powders.

Short barrels are loud. There's no two ways about it and a 12" 308 is gonna be a firebreather. If you're looking for plinking loads my first stop would be sr4759 or AA5744. They've worked great in everything I've tried them in rifle or pistol.