Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scope base do you prefer on a hunting rig?

romad97

What scope base do you prefer on a hunting rig?

I have a set of burris signature zee rings. I need to mount them on a hunting rig. Not sure if a 1 peice or a 2 peice would be best for this application. What do you find best for hunting rifles?

I prefer the 2 pc dual dovetail mounts. And I like the Burris signature rings, or just Leupold rings.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    I think two piece bases on hunting rifles have a more traditional look and are fine for hunting if you are not looking for extreme accuracy at extreme range (better than 3" groups at 300 yards and shots not any further than that?) One advantage to single piece mount is it will allow you to mount a scope of any length.

the Ranger
    why have separate rings and bases at all? I say Talley lightweights.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    yeah, I like DNZ Game Reaper, too. But if you already have some rings...

the Ranger
    I like the DNZ and would probably have their mount if it were not for the logo being carved into the tops of the caps. nothing wrong with putting your name on the product, I just like a smoother look.

I love my DNZ game reaper mount.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I use the EGW with Millet windage adjustable rings.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    I am going this route on my hunting rigs over the last couple years also.

romad97
    Well I thought about the dnz game reaper but, I already have a set of burris signature zee on hand. I guess I can always use the zee rings for something else later on down the road. Do you prefer the game reaper 1 piece of the 2 piece set up?

I have one piece bases on all of my Savages - don't have to worry about scope lengths, eye relief, or any thing else when mounting a new scope.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

With the 2 piece bases it gives you more room to load and more room to eject.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Although they're clunkier-looking, one-piece bases are supposedly more accurate, if I remember correctly. Not sure what the supposed reason is...

I use the Redfield / Leupold one-piece bases.

Basic Member
    All of the above. LOL ! :)

The DNZ mounts I like are the one-piece. The claim they supposedly are made true to one another. No need to lap the rings so as to be sure they don't bind the tube. They also remove the question of whether the rings are mounted to the bases with right amount of torque and whether they might loosen. Has that ever been a problem for me with 2 piece base and separate rings? NO. :) Might it in the future? Not if I use solid rings and bases. Who knows?

Basic Member
    Also, in line with what's already been said, some scopes are too short for long actions. In that case, you gotta use off-set rings if you go with 2 piece bases. I think that looks worse than what the single base looks like.

I think the best solution is to get 4-5 different hunting rifles and put a different style mount on each of them! If your wife has any questions about why that's necessary, refer her here.

emtrescue6
    I pretty much buy nothing but Warne 2 piece bases and Maxima rings for all of mu hunting rigs and am slowly switching all my older mounts over to Warne's when I have time and $$....I do have a couple EGW rails on tactical/target applications. That being said, I have a few rifles with Millett bases/rings that i am happy with and will stay....all the Lupy dove tail crap is finding it's way to the trash.

Basic Member
    I also like the Talley light weights! ;-))

All I can say about one piece vs two piece is my .270 went from horrible 4"+ to 1" changing absolutely nothing but the two piece weavers to the one piece DNZ. And now shooting -1" with it's preferred ammo.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

cttb
    I also just knocked about three inches off my groups by replacing cheap two piece mounts with DNZ one piece.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Also, in line with what's already been said, some scopes are too short for long actions. In that case, you gotta use off-set rings if you go with 2 piece bases. I think that looks worse than what the single base looks like.

I think the best solution is to get 4-5 different hunting rifles and put a different style mount on each of them! If your wife has any questions about why that's necessary, refer her here.
    Fact is both one and two pc bases would require an offset front ring for a shorter scope. A piccitinny type base such as the egw base would allow
    for more selection on scope location especially with shorter scopes. If the Burris rings you have will work with that type base that would be my choice.

Basic Member
    Why would a one piece base ever require an offset-type ring/mount? Theoretically, you could mount a 4 inch scope on a rifle with a one-piece base if you wanted to do so. Maybe we are talking two different things... When I say one piece base, I am talking a weaver and/or piccatinny style one piece base. Is there another type?

Never mind. Leupold and others make one pieces that do not offer flexibility in ring placement. I assumed too much. I haven't used anything but weaver or piccatinny in years. forgot about the others.
    Last edited by foxx; 05-18-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Soybomb
    What is considered a short scope? Would a Vortex Viper 3-9 be long enough for a long action savage? They are about 12.4 inches I think.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
    What is considered a short scope? Would a Vortex Viper 3-9 be long enough for a long action savage? They are about 12.4 inches I think.
    Should be fine

mazda3gun
    I use a Weaver one-piece 0 MOA, Burris Sig Zee 1" High rings, for a Nikon 3-9x40 scope on my ol 110. It really doesn't make it any harder, or easier, to load/eject. Yes, there isn't as much room if you have sausage fingers, but everything still functions fine n dandy!

To each their own though.

Soybomb
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    Should be fine

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Vortex Viper w/ 1 inch talley low extended rings does NOT fit the Savage long action... At least not on the 111. Gotta mail 'em back and try to find some mediums somewhere now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast