Thread: Rascal Mods for Competition?! Yep.

AndyVandy

Rascal Mods for Competition?! Yep.

My daughter is in her first year of our 4H clubs shooting program and the rifle that fit her best was a left-handed Rascal. This girl is tiny! After one of our last competitions I was being asked a bunch of question about the rifle and what we had done to it. My daughter is consistently beating kids with much better guns, and is thrilled with her little underestimated Rascal. So here we go with mods so far....

We have drilled and tapped two points on the rear sight to get it ready for competition. We drilled the peep sight and tapped it to receive Lyman/Williams apertures, and we drilled the sight arm itself and tapped it for a 8-32 set screw 1/8" long. This allows us to make very small elevation changes needed for the targets she is shooting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image01.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	6430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image02.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	6431

To help in the small changes needed we also made a washer to take the play out of the sight arm hinge screw and used some blue LocTite to get the right amount of resistance. This and the set screw have been so helpful.

Name:	image03.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	6432

We also did the obligatory removal of the front sight and replaced it with a Lyman 17a .404 height globe.

Name:	image04.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	6433

The inserts that come with the Lyman are...junk. Now that is my opinion, and it might not be shared with others. We found Lee Shavers inserts and following his advice stacked two inserts to create the sight picture my daughter likes. I cannot speak highly enough of these inserts. We love them!

Name:	image05.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	6434

So, how good can a little Rascal shoot? Now mind you, I cleaned up the barrel a bit and we were shooting good ammo, but it's not anything that is top secret or anything.

Target 1 from the last shoot

Name:	image06.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	6435

Target 2

Name:	image07.jpg 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	6436

Our next mod...we are working with Evolution Gun Works to make a mount that will accept the Williams Foolproof GR-TK rear sight. Prototype should be here any day now. This will allow her to make adjustments to her sight during the competitions which we are not able to do now. I'll keep y'all posted.

Hope this helps somebody out there. Andy

AndyVandy
    Here's the kiddo that has been working with me on this...

Here is something you mite look into for outdoor use of her rifle, i have on my 144LS a front sight mount with two levels dead on at fifty feet and at fifty yards not sure of make have had many years wii have to dig rifle from back of Cabinet and look for maker mite be easyer too look on line.

AndyVandy
    Sounds interesting. Sure hadn't heard of that before. It would be cool to see.

All of the shooting she will be doing with this rifle (set up as it is) will be at 50ft. She has a scope rail and red dot we use for hunting and silhouettes.

AndyVandy
    Here is a quick picture of the rail that Evolution Gun Works (EGW) worked up for us. Great folks to deal with.

This allows for the mounting of a Williams FP-GR-TK sight on the Rascal.

Name:	image08.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	6437

Basic Member
    Subbed!!!! I think I got a rascal build fixing to start!

AndyVandy
    Great little guns!

I missed this thread earlier. Nice work and great shooting!

campdude
    That is great, hope she continues shooting and doing well.

Jackpine
    Nice job on the rifle and congratulations to you and your daughter!

Our daughter is 3, and I think I need to grab one of these rifles before they mess them up.

RIGIDONE
    my kids love their rascals, i see some mods happening in the future..

AndyVandy
    Huge thank you to Evolution Gun Works for helping us to develop this mount.

Name:	image09.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	6438

Now we have the ability to be able to mount a Williams receiver sight and pair it with a Lyman 20mjt globe sight. On a Rascal! They work together perfectly. Now my little shooter has the ability to be able to adjust her sights on the shooting line. The inability to adjust her sights during competition has cost her some points. Not anymore! After last competition she took a first and two second-place finishes. This is as a 9yr old competing against 11yr olds! I have had a number of questions on her set up. I cannot speak highly enough of Evolution Gun Works!

Here is the full gun in all of its comp readiness...

Name:	image10.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	6439

And, just for fun, the size difference between a Lyman 17a and 20mjt!

Name:	image11.jpg 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	6440

Just finished all these mods, but I'm shooting way high

This thread was an amazing resource as I've been working with my daughter and her Rascal as she enters 4H shooting. Thanks so much for sharing your hard work.

We're excited to start shooting, but we've hit a jam.

The first install was the Lyman MJT-20 (.700), which went well. I just finished installing the rear sight, Williams FP-GR-TK on the EGW adapter. While the install went well, the first trip to the range didn't. Shooting an NRA A17 target at 50', my shots were 2". That's at the max adjustment on the Williams.

I note that in the pictures here, the Williams is fairly close to the top of its adjustment range (meaning, when you look at the gauge on the sight, the top mark on the sight is just about at the index mark on the sight body). I have this rear sight as low it can go, but am still way high out of the black.

So, I've got a left-handed Rascal, an EGW mount, a Williams FP-GR-TK paired with a Lyman MJT-20 . . . it seems I'd match up perfectly with AndyVanday, but I'm getting different results. We'd sure appreciate any advice.