Thread: My Axis II with Accutrigger.

aprayinbear

Thumbs Up My Axis II with Accutrigger.

Just received my axis II .223 with accu-trigger last week. Already had a Boyds Classic stock to replace the plastic original. Topped it off with a Weaver mount and a cheap Barska 6-20 scope. I know Barska isn't Zeiss, but seems to work well enough. I used to use the Barska when shooting .22 stock benchrest and it worked well. Took me about 10-12 shots to get the rifle to zero (shooting off a shaky card table in the pasture without decent bags) . I could hardly keep the table steady. Once I was close to zero I shot three final rounds. Group measured .942 " at 100 yards.

I was very pleased. Seems like an excellent starting place to me. I'm pretty certain I can get that to around 1/2" with a more stable platform and a bit of practice. I didn't try to lighten the accu-trigger yet. Left it as it arrived. My brother remarked how loud the gun was. With my ear plugs I could hardly hear a thing and recoil was next to nothing. My only problem...... I'd like a single shot adapter for bench shooting. Are any of you making your own?

I was using a moderate load of Varget with Hornady 55gr SP w/cannelure. I have some 50gr Hornady I also want to try. Can't wait to get to the range!

Two thumbs up for Savage!

cranebird
    Congratulations on the new rifle.Sharp shooter supply makes a single shot loading ramp that you install in the magazine that should work on the Axis but I haven't tried to take the magazine apart so maybe it wouldn't work. I'm sure Fred can tell you if it would work or not. I haven't seen a Barska scope but there are a good selection of Budget scopes to be had.The $99 Sightron 3-9x40 I picked up is a solid gem on the cheap . I just replaced it with a Nikon to keep the same BDC system on both rifles but in all Honesty, The $99 Sightron has slightly better glass than the Nikon.
    Last edited by cranebird; 04-27-2014 at 07:43 AM.

n4ue
    mr bear. SSS makes a "poly sled". It replaces the regular magazine. I load almost all my rifles 'long' and don't care about the magazine. I bought 3, they work PERFECT and are waaaay cheaper than a Savage magazine!!!
    Win-win for shooters.

ron

rons
    Have you shot your rifle before changing stocks? Looking at AXIS II 223. See the barrel is floated, the plastic stock has pillars installed. Is this an improvement from original?

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Have you shot your rifle before changing stocks? Looking at AXIS II 223. See the barrel is floated, the plastic stock has pillars installed. Is this an improvement from original?
    No, the old stocks have the same thing.I had to sand a little on the last one on the left side but I did have to do the same to the boyd stock.