Thread: removing stuck recessed ejector...

adjc

removing stuck recessed ejector...

hello to all here, another newbie needing some help! my son in law brought his 110 savage .270 to me with a crammed ejector that doesn't want to budge in order to come out and be replaced. have the knowledge to repair but can't figure this one out. can anyone recommend how to get this out? there is no movement when you push on it and is below flush so no way of grabbing it with pliers. appreciate it if someone can help me here.....lost! and yes the sleeve pin has been removed.

Sounds like a blown primer caused the ejector spring to collapse, if someone dosen't have a better way, they can be drilled out. I have had a couple do the same thing & the distorted spring makes removal difficult.

adjc
    if drilling is the only option how precise does one have to be? any tolerances due to sometimes other than perfect drilling....really don't want to screw up the bolt head.

seanhagerty
    Soak some kroil over night, then push in and out on the ejector with a punch. Work with it a bit and you may be able to get it worked loose. If you dont have kroil use any light oil.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjc View Post
    if drilling is the only option how precise does one have to be? any tolerances due to sometimes other than perfect drilling....really don't want to screw up the bolt head.

The last one remove that was hopelessly stuck I used the mill but a good drill press and vise will do. First I used a #1 center drilled it then used the drill bit. When the bit cut in about a 1/3 of the way the ejector grabbed, started turning and pulled right out stuck on the bit. I removed the spring using a wire bit turned in the first few coils and a pliers.

What I don't remember offhand is the size of the drill and wire bit I used.

Most times I can gut them to move by removing the bolt head then slamming it face down on a piece of oak and pulling the twisted up spring with a wire bit.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

adjc
    thanks for the replies. got this thing soaking in kroil oil maybe it'll fly apart by morning!

Yep I have always drilled mine. Use a small bit and go slow and you will get it.

Basic Member
    Take out retaining pin, if not already out
    After soaking in kroil, put it in a vise bolt face up (so you can see what is happening)
    Heat the bolt head with a hair dryer
    Tap (lightly) on the side of the bolt head with a Small hammer repeatedly - spring might push it out
    watch out for flying parts
    IF not, take the bolt as earlier mention and tap/slam it face down on the table
    This has worked for me a couple of times
    Drilling is next option
    Jack
    Last edited by JW; 04-27-2014 at 07:19 AM.

adjc
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    Take out retaining pin, if not already out
    After soaking in kroil, put it in a vise bolt face up (so you can see what is happening)
    Heat the bolt head with a hair dryer
    Tap (lightly) on the side of the bolt head with a Small hammer repeatedly - spring might push it out
    watch out for flying parts
    IF not, take the bolt as earlier mention and tap/slam it face down on the table
    This has worked for me a couple of times
    Drilling is next option
    Jack
    well woke up this morning and still no luck, soaked it in kroil oil for over 8 hrs...frozen solid! tried all the above suggestions nothing works. would a 3/32 bit size be the one needed and is the ejector fairly soft metal? looks like no other alternative.

Basic Member
    I can't remomber the drill size but if 3/32 is smaller than the hole it will work
    I would drill with a bit as Billpa suggested
    you want to be sure and center dot the pin and have the drill small enough in diameter to ensure you do not get into the bolt head when drilling
    This would be a drill press or mill operation for me
    Good luck
    I hope it helps
    Jack
    Last edited by JW; 04-27-2014 at 09:02 AM.

adjc
    got it out, used a dremel with a 1/16" titanium bit....here's the culprit. looks good..opinions?
    thx to all for the great suggestions. added another pic without the drilled out ejector in it.

Last edited by adjc; 04-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Basic Member
    Good deal
    Glad you got it out
    Clean out the hole and a new ejector and spring and you good to go
    You might ask your son in law what happened to cause the issue to begin with to avoid another stuck ejector

Jack

And what have we learned here today class, we have learned we should not play with or around hot loads, LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Dean
    I would never have thought you would suggest that someone would be running a hot load. Lol