Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rifle, first groups! AMAZING!

Not_Infringed

New rifle, first groups! AMAZING!

I can't believe this rifle! It shoots like a laser beam!

Model 10 FCP-HS in .308 Win
    Nikon M-308 scope
    TPS steel 1 piece base (bedded using JB Weld)
    TPS rings (lapped)

Brass: Lapua (Factory new unfired)
    Primer: CCI #200 large rifle
    Bullets: Barnes 168gr TSX BT
    Powder: IMR 4064 43.0gr
    OAL: 2.770" (.050" jump to lands)

3 shots (2 holes) fired from 100 yards off bench with front and rear sandbags
    .272 MOA max
    .118 MOA average to center

Basic Member
    boom!!!! You gotta love that...

Freebore
    Good job! I suppose you don't have a chrono? Is be curious what speed you are getting out if that combo

Team Savage
    Outstanding

Those were my thoughts exactly when i got my HS. doesnt it feel great?
    While shopping around and looking for a good bolt rig, I saw a couple of Remies but they were WAY over priced and they didnt come with what i wanted. The 1st time I spotted the Savage Model 10 FCP Mil Spec, 5R, fluted,threaded, 11.25 twist barrel, with an HS Stock, I had to have it. Sure enuff.....close and tight patterns 1st go around..there even tighter now. Ive done absolutely nothing to the stock.
    Mine loves the 150 SMK,s with RL-15 but Ive been developing a different load for the 168,s and 4064 because I cant find RL-15 anymore.
    Ive found 42.2 to give me tight groups @ 2730 (5 shoot average) @ 3800ft elev. I tried copying Federal FGMM with 168 SMK,s 42.8 charge weight of 4064 but I found my speed to be faster than factory OEM. I slowed it down and paydirt!...the 175,s are doing even better.
    Congrates on your new HS!
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    That's what I'm TALKIN about!

Nice!

Not_Infringed
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
    Good job! I suppose you don't have a chrono? Is be curious what speed you are getting out if that combo
    I will get a chronograph one day. But for now...I'd *GUESS* about 2,500 fps.

Not_Infringed
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Those were my thoughts exactly when i got my HS. doesnt it feel great?
    While shopping around and looking for a good bolt rig, I saw a couple of Remies but they were WAY over priced and they didnt come with what i wanted. The 1st time I spotted the Savage Model 10 FCP Mil Spec, 5R, fluted,threaded, 11.25 twist barrel, with an HS Stock, I had to have it. Sure enuff.....close and tight patterns 1st go around..there even tighter now. Ive done absolutely nothing to the stock.
    Mine loves the 150 SMK,s with RL-15 but Ive been developing a different load for the 168,s and 4064 because I cant find RL-15 anymore.
    Ive found 42.2 to give me tight groups @ 2730 (5 shoot average) @ 3800ft elev. I tried copying Federal FGMM with 168 SMK,s 42.8 charge weight of 4064 but I found my speed to be faster than factory OEM. I slowed it down and paydirt!...the 175,s are doing even better.
    Congrates on your new HS!
    I am guessing the 5R and threaded option is no longer available. I like the 1:10 of my barrel, but I so wish it was threaded! One day I'll send it off to get threaded.

Basic Member
    Outfreakinstanding!! Gotta love Savage!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Oscarflytyer
    Very nice. Mine was awful out of the box. But after 53 rnds, it is shrinking regularly. Yet to shoot some real good match ammo/equivalent loads in it.

D.ID
    Oscarflytyer, Put some premium high octane fuel in that thing. Athletes have to fuel right to perform, race cars have to fuel right to perform, rifles are the same.
    Congratulations to the OP on some **** fine shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Infringed View Post
    I am guessing the 5R and threaded option is no longer available. I like the 1:10 of my barrel, but I so wish it was threaded! One day I'll send it off to get threaded.
    this may be true indeed. I have yet to see anybody with my model. Ive asked a few times and started some threads here at SS.C but to no avail.
    I like it so much that I purchased a 10FCP-K to send heaviers down range and give my HS a break. Ive owned the HS for a couple of yrs and the Model K for 1 yr. I can honestly say that the HS shows more consistancy and accuracy.
    The 10FCP-K in 1/10 twist suprise,s me to no end. Especially for the price.
    I think you,ll start seeing tighter groups after a few 100 down the tube and re-evaluate your load.
    My thought is that your running faster than 2500. More like mid/high 2600. Unless your a @ sea level.
    Im getting 2700 with a 168 SMK 42.2 of 4064 @ 3800ft elev.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Not_Infringed
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    this may be true indeed. I have yet to see anybody with my model. Ive asked a few times and started some threads here at SS.C but to no avail.
    I like it so much that I purchased a 10FCP-K to send heaviers down range and give my HS a break. Ive owned the HS for a couple of yrs and the Model K for 1 yr. I can honestly say that the HS shows more consistancy and accuracy.
    The 10FCP-K in 1/10 twist suprise,s me to no end. Especially for the price.
    I think you,ll start seeing tighter groups after a few 100 down the tube and re-evaluate your load.
    My thought is that your running faster than 2500. More like mid/high 2600. Unless your a @ sea level.
    Im getting 2700 with a 168 SMK 42.2 of 4064 @ 3800ft elev.
    Just curious why you think the rifle will produce tighter groups as more shots are fired? I am not trying to argue, but learn. Are you referring to barrel break in? What are your thoughts about using copper solvent on the barrel? Does the copper help seal the machining marks and imperfections in the rifling?

My elevation is about 700' above sea level. 3,800' is pretty high! I guess that is why your FPS is fast too.

Also, have you shot much 180gr projectiles from a 1:10 in 308Win? Everything I read says its not worth it and 168gr is the heaviest/optimum bullet for a 308. But I wonder if the folks that say that are using 1:12 or 1:14 twist?

D.ID
    For close range 168s do fine but who ever told you it was optimal is ignorant of ballistics or strictly referring to close range. I run 178 amax or 190 vld in mine. I shoot long range and would not bother with a lighter bullet than a 175.

Love those Savages! Congratulations!

300winmag
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarflytyer View Post
    Very nice. Mine was awful out of the box.
    Same here, although mine is a 110. Even with match ammo, lousy results.

Congrats to OP.

Basic Member
    I do not say this to be a dick but I can't understand how you can gauge the accuracy of a rifle with a 3 round group. I guess from a cold bore perspective it can be helpful but if your using groups to determine accuracy a minimum 5 shot group with 10 being a better indicator.

Give the Snipers Hide Dot Drill a try. This is what I use for practice and it is extremely helpful. Instead of trying to group you shoot one shot at each dot. There are 20 1/2" dots on each target. This will tell you how accurate your rifle really is.

http://www.mytargets.com/target22%20circles%20x20.pdf

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Infringed View Post
    I can't believe this rifle! It shoots like a laser beam!

Model 10 FCP-HS in .308 Win
    Nikon M-308 scope
    TPS steel 1 piece base (bedded using JB Weld)
    TPS rings (lapped)

Brass: Lapua (Factory new unfired)
    Primer: CCI #200 large rifle
    Bullets: Barnes 168gr TSX BT
    Powder: IMR 4064 43.0gr
    OAL: 2.770" (.050" jump to lands)

3 shots (2 holes) fired from 100 yards off bench with front and rear sandbags
    .272 MOA max
    .118 MOA average to center
    Excellent results!
    Please explain the 'bedding with JB Weld'.....

ron

D.ID

D.ID
    Rifle shooter308........................I do not understand why it matters. I say that because a three round followed by a three round followed by a three round will tell you more than a ten round hole. It either groups good or does not.
    I have a tikka lite weight that will put three in a 1/4" And then be hot enough to start wondering, Is it a true .25moa gun.........depends on who you ask. Is it accurate? Hell yes. Altho clearly for a limited duration.
    Why would I want to waist twenty rounds to track how much the 12th round wonders, Why would spend thirty bucks to find out what number 12 does if all the first three went threw the same hole right were I wanted them and did the job to begin with. The only exception would be if your running a tactical match that requires 12 round in rapid succession.
    Practice is great but I fail to under stand why three means nothing but five does.........Not to be a dick but it's retarded.

Basic Member
    D.LD

I think 5 is better than 3 because you can better tell if all 5 are tight. Theoretically, you could shoot a dozen bullets at a dozen different targets, measure how far each is from the center, but it is quicker to just shoot them all at the same spot and measure the one furthest away. Shoot 5 or 10 at the same spot, and don't let the barrel heat up so you can see what they all do with a cool barrel. Your concern about bullets walking away as it heats up is true and valid, but not what is done when shooting 5-10 shot group.

Just for kicks I once shot a 15 round group with my 25-06 and it took me maybe a 1/2 hour... it measured just over or just under a 1/2 inch. What I did not know, of course, what was my smallest 5 shot group among them, but I knew I could keep them all inside 1/2. The fun part was pressure was mounting with each shot to not mess it up. One flyer would ruin what I knew was a good group. I would have kept going but I ran outa bullets. I had decided to shoot all I had left when I started it. :)
    Last edited by foxx; 04-29-2014 at 08:03 PM.

D.ID
    Thanks Foxx but you missed my point. His rifle is accurate, my tikka is accurate. If you can repeatably group like that you have an accurate rifle.

Basic Member
    You're right. But what if your first three shots grouped a little left of the next two? You would not necessarily know that it happened without measuring how far from the center your furthest round hit.

No biggie, though. Accurate is accurate. :)

D.ID
    Unless you need more than three, what would it matter? I completely agree that be it at one target or twenty, the more repeatability reference you have the better but ten shot groups serve no purpose other than ten shot groups. Three rounds repeatable is enough to say it's accurate.
    Snipers hide gaming rules serve a valuable purpose= preparing for snipers hide games.

Basic Member
    So would we be testing the rifle or the shooter ?!!! I shot close to a 100 rounds yesterday from 100 to 1000 yds. and everywhere in between. After all that I dialed back to zero and fired two rounds to check my zero at 100 and knocked the center out of a one inch dot. So I think thats a good group. I guess I should have fired 3 more, or 8 just to make sure.
    Good shooting Not_Infringed!
    Last edited by chukarmandoo; 04-29-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast