Thread: thumbhole stock for .308

eternalprimate

thumbhole stock for .308

Hey guys, new to the forum. Got myself an axis .308 the other day and it needs a stock. I originally wanted the thumbhole in pepper, but after some reading on this site people have stated the recoil from the .308,is rather heavy and with the thumbhole stock a lot of the recoil goes into the hand instead of shoulder.

So. My question.

Does anyone have the thumbhole stock on their 308 and think its fine and dandy? I really like that particular style, but will switch to a diff one if it affects the accuracy. I just want to hear from someone that's their setup and it still shoots inch groups at 100 yards. I think the review I read the guy was getten 4 inch groups, but want sire it was the stocks recoil disbursement. If some people are not having that prob than I'm good to order. If its common ill rethink it.

I already honed the action and switched to a 3 pound trigger spring. I just don't want the stock costing me accuracy.

Any thoughts? All are appreciated.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I've shot several different thumbhole stocks and the recoil feels the same as a regular stock. I can't tell the difference.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ejk24
    If the rifle is shouldered properly the thumb hole stock has nothing to do with felt recoil . It sounds to me like the guy was pulling his shots . I have shot rifles with thumb hole stocks and plenty of recoil and it makes no difference in accuracy . Its a matter of feel and comfort with proper fitment for your hand . My son had a thumb hole stock on one of his rifles that had too thick of a grip area that made it uncomfortable to shoot but had no effect on accuracy . He didn't keep it very long and switched it out for a more conventional stock .

cranebird
    And since your ordering it, they have a limbsaver or pachmayr recoil pad option available if you think recoil is going to bother you. I've never shot the Axis in 308 but have had a couple of 308 rifles over the years and didn't think the recoil was bad.

eternalprimate
    Thanks for the quickhelp guys. Not worried about the recoil. I'm not a huge guy, buy 5'10 , 165 pounds. I just read that someone thought the recoil was big. Shot some 308 And never thought it to be terrible.

I guess my next ? Now is can anyone with the fl thumbhole stock comment on if its comfy, good grip and not boxy and uncomfortable? If you got one , do you wish you had hone with a more classic model?
    I just don't wanna drop the $ and wait 3 weeks to fond out its county and/or uncomfortable. It certainly looks nice, wish I could see one at a him shop and "try it on" the other stocks look nice too, just really diggen on the flth. Wonder if I should just Ho basic and get the praire or the classic.
    Either way think I'm going pepper to go with the black barrel,action,scope, bipod. Should have the bipod and 7 strip mountable picatinny rail in tmrw, maybe the new spring too :) been honing cleaning oiling everything that needs love. Got some 150 corelokts, 170 fusion lite, and 180 deer thugs, (shakes head) can't wait to get her out and see what she likes eating

eternalprimate
    Thanks for the quickhelp guys. Not worried about the recoil. I'm not a huge guy, buy 5'10 , 165 pounds. I just read that someone thought the recoil was big. Shot some 308 And never thought it to be terrible.

I guess my next ? Now is can anyone with the fl thumbhole stock comment on if its comfy, good grip and not boxy and uncomfortable? If you got one , do you wish you had hone with a more classic model?
    I just don't wanna drop the $ and wait 3 weeks to fond out its county and/or uncomfortable. It certainly looks nice, wish I could see one at a him shop and "try it on" the other stocks look nice too, just really diggen on the flth. Wonder if I should just Ho basic and get the praire or the classic.
    Either way think I'm going pepper to go with the black barrel,action,scope, bipod. Should have the bipod and 7 strip mountable picatinny rail in tmrw, maybe the new spring too :) been honing cleaning oiling everything that needs love. Got some 150 corelokts, 170 fusion lite, and 180 deer thugs, (shakes head) can't wait to get her out and see what she likes eating

Basic Member

thumbhole stock for .308

I have the Boyds FWTH in pepper on my 308 Axis, but have not shot it yet. I also have a Boyds thumbhole on my 12g NEF, and I like it a lot. Having one on the NEF is what convinvced me to put one on the 308. I like the feel of it better that the classic style, it seems to keep my wrist in better alignment with my forearm. I think it's very comfortable, if the grip is too big or doesn't feel right, you can always take a grinder/sander to it and reshape the area. Finally remembered to take a couple photos. I have put a stainless varmint Lothar-Walther 308 win barrel on it, that I plan to rechamber to 7.5x55 eventually.

Last edited by Swissfan; 05-07-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added photos