Thread: 223 scope/ring/base fit ?

mtnrunner260

223 scope/ring/base fit ?

Hello,
    Just got an Axis 223 and now need to get optics on it. I was thinking of going with this Weaver rail
    http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Base-Sy...or+savage+axis
    with these rings
    http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Quad-1-...QWMNVY8ZTERNDW
    and mounting the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope in it.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104535180

My questions are will these combo allow the bolt to clear? It seems as if the Axis bolt travels higher than the Rem 700 I'm used to.

Also as far as the scope goes at the price $200ish and at Cabelas (spending points) is there another option to check out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cranebird
    I believe the weaver base part number should be 48347.I paid $12 for it . The Weaver quad lock rings you are looking at is right but you most likely will rub the scope when cycling rounds with that ring and base set up.I have that same set up and it works but there are better.EGW 1 piece is suppose to be better because it is thicker but it is $39 for the base through amazon.The last time I just went with the stock 2 piece bases and a set of Burris 1" high Zee rings.part #420087 and that gave me better clearance than the set up your looking at.The Burris rings were $34.00 here locally, I'm sure you can find them cheaper but I recommend those rings over the quad lock.The Vortex sounds like a great scope.I was tempted to buy it so many times but always opted for something else.They make a 2 piece weaver base #209 that was posted here and sets you closer together if I remember correctly. I hope this helps.

Ok I took a few pictures Here is the set up you are looking to get with a different scope of course but you can see the problem once the bolt is pulled back by the scope.It can rub if you push upward as your pulling back.

Then there is the issue of grinding the front ears of the base down if you want to set the scope further back. This is a 40mm scope so I'm not sure you can do it with a Vortex 44mm and still have clearance or not. It might fit but would be too close to call either way without actually trying it.

Here is the last set up. Lots of room with the stock 2 piece base and Burris ring.

Last edited by cranebird; 04-25-2014 at 03:47 PM.

mtnrunner260
    Thank you for taking the time to take pics and reply to my questions.
    I'm thinking I might go with the Weaver base and the Burris Zee rings you suggested. I have heard good things about them.
    Thanks again.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner260 View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to take pics and reply to my questions.
    I'm thinking I might go with the Weaver base and the Burris Zee rings you suggested. I have heard good things about them.
    Thanks again.
    Not a problem. It was worth the time so you didn't make the same mistake I had made. It is easier to snap a picture for you to see than have me try to explain it. I ran out of .22 cleaning patches and have been cutting shotgun patches down to fit, thus the lint all over the rifle in the picture. Maybe I oil everything in excessive manner but oil is cheap even though everything clings to it.