Thread: Which rear action screw is the right one?

300winmag

Which rear action screw is the right one?

Ordered new front and rear action screws for my 110, figuring that with my luck I'd lose one at some point. Used the parts diagram on savage's website for my serial number, and picked off the parts as needed. They showed up today, but the rear action screw does not match the one that came with the rifle. In the picture below notice the different head styles; which is the right one?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Look at your trigger guard and see which one matches the counterbore/countersink?

300winmag
    The non-tapered head screw came with the rifle and the trigger guard is designed for it.

I guess i just didn't want to taint any answers to make sure that my original screw was indeed correct.

Savage is now 2 for 2 for poor customer service with me.

Basic Member
    I've actually never seen one of the tapered screws myself out of the savages I've dealt with and own. I wonder if it's on the new ones or something? I'm sure one of the gents here will know why it's like that, I'm sure sharpshooter knows.

Call savage up and tell em about the screw up, I'd imagine they'll make it right for you. While on the hook ask em what the heck that fits. Sorry about your parts mixup, crap happens though I guess.

How old of a 110 do you have?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

300winmag
    Just picked it up a few months ago. The handwritten numbers under the barrel on my hs precision stock say "8 - 13"

Savage is sending me new screws, so props to them for fixing the mistake.

Interesting.............I've got an older 110FP Tactical in 223 with the sheet metal blocked long mag box. It has Philips head action screws. The serial number starts with an "F".

Basic Member
    The countersunk screw is what is standard on the HS stocks found on the LRPV and such. It does not fit the trigger guard properly, and usually damages the hole in the TG. The proper screw to use is the phillister type. I don't know why HS didn't make the stocks to use a standard screw set that Savage uses, instead of what Remington uses. I counterbored all mine to use the standard phillister type screws.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

300winmag
    Thanks for the info sharpshooter!

300winmag
    UPDATE; called savage today to see where my screws were. Turns out they were not sure which I needed and the guy said they were going to call me at some point... At some point? I called them over a week ago!?
    I sent them the picture above and my s/n, and also asked if they could send the parts UPS instead of usps and provide a tracking number as I ordered the original stuff over two weeks ago. I didn't get a warm a fuzzy that this would happen. I also don't know how the mfg can't know what parts are used in their products?!

300winmag
    Update two; Just got email from service manager. Ups overnighting the parts today.