Thread: Mcgowen7mm

Basic Member

Mcgowen7mm

I just finished my first build with a Mcgowen semi custom barrel. The barrel is a 28" 8 twist contoured to pacnor#7 chambered in 7mm Remington mag.I started load development today and I'm very impressived I not was able to get time to shoot two loads they both shot about the same .410" and .430" four shot groups at 100yds off bipod and a bag.I'm very happy so far barrel looks great and shoots great too the only issue I have is when I clean it I have to rip a cleaning patch in half to get it to go in the barrel on a 7mm jag if I re a full one I can't get it to any further than just outside the bore guide. Am I doing something wrong?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local41 View Post
    the only issue I have is when I clean it I have to rip a cleaning patch in half to get it to go in the barrel on a 7mm jag if I re a full one I can't get it to any further than just outside the bore guide. Am I doing something wrong?
    Just because your using a 7 jag and a patch for a 7 doesn't mean the combination is right for a 7 bore. Most times a jag and patch made by the same manufacturer are sized correctly, but not always.

Depending on the patch thickness and size you may have to use a jag for a 6.5/264 or maybe even one for 25 cal.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Also try punching the jag into a corner of the patch and not the middle.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys I was hopiby it was something simple