Thread: Homemade Silhouette

badmutha6

Homemade Silhouette

I found some scrap metal at my grandfathers house. The scap I found was 2 3/8 or 1/2" metal plates of unknown hardness. One was shaped sort of like an IPSC target and had a bunch of holets in it and the other was a rectangle with an ear on it. I placed it in a drill press to add a hanger of some sort. I then welded the plates together with a 220 stick welder and eventually hung the plate from a saw horse with scrap firehose and a grade 8 bolt. I used the saw horse as it was inexpensive and I needed it done quickly. I added some eye bolts to the legs of the saw horse to stake it down and hopefully prevent it from rocking and falling over from the impact of the rounds etc. I haven't decided whether or not to shoot the flat side or the side with all the holes in it. Its for rifle at distances so I guess we will see how it holds up. I did cut that ear off the bottom, but not at the time of the picture, my son hates the sound of that grinder.

Well done if you can bring it too the PA Savage shootout on May 10 if you are close enough

badmutha6
    I wish! I live in far west Texas.

campdude
    Well done and it looks like little man approves :)

badmutha6
    So, I shot my target this weekend and it held up until just before we were about to leave. We had hit it about 40 times at 475 yards with 308, 223, and 22-250. Last round broke the welds between the plates and a better examination revealed that I suck at welding and that I need a hotter welder. The material failed to bond it. I had used a 220 stick welder and I have a friend with a better mig that we may try but he also thinks its on the upper end of what his can do. I do have a buddy with metal shop (builds custom gas tanks for drag cars) and he has the gear to do it. The rounds did not tear up that steel very much, some minor pitting. Could that be from the 1/2" backing I had welded to it or should I not worry about it and keep shooting?