Thread: stevens 200 LA and duramax

Basic Member

stevens 200 LA and duramax

Have a 200 in 25-06 , also a 338-06 barrel to swap in.
    Orderd the duramax for LA .
    200 is a center feed, I know that I have to make provisions for the center feed magizine and the tab.
    Anyone have pictures, or a forum for this yet ?
    THANK YOU !!
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Team Savage

Re: stevens 200 LA and duramax

First, I would consider adding some pillars and bedding the Duramax stock to get the action firmly fitted in the stock. The magazine well is likely going to be oversized in the Duramax. So what I did was put a thin spacer (business card thick) between the bottom of the bolt and magazine lips and taped the magazine in place on the action. Next I put 4 small balls of epoxy putty in the corners of the stock magazine well. Put some release agent on the bottom of the magazine and bolt the action back into the stock pushing the bottom of the magazine into the epoxy putty. Once the putty hardens, you have the base for your magazine setting at the right height for proper feeding, and the magazine lips do not come into contact with the bolt causing a stress point. Putting some Velcro strips in the magazine keeps the magazine box firmly in place, but still allows for removal. I did away with the L-clip, since it does not work in the oversized stock well on the Duramax. LOL.

Basic Member

Re: stevens 200 LA and duramax

Yes the magizine well is a lot bigger than the magizine.
    The replacement magizine does not have a bottom, or a base, the spring just pushes up from the stock's well.
    ?
    If it had a base I could bed the 4 corners so to speak, so it sets in the 4 corners.
    Height will be an issue to get right.
    I new going in to this it wouldn't bolt in, but I am starting to ask ?'s about these center feed rifles vs the old staggerdfeed, which I own 4 of and never had any issues with feeding and or loading ?
    Also, just looking at the stock, all b&c would have todo, is duplicate the 200's magizine well size, which shouldn't be a big deal .
    I belive one could make a plastic tub if you will, that is sized for the duramax well externally, but is the correct size for the center feed magizine, internally.
    I belive it could just be made of plastic.
    If I hade a milling machine, and a chunck of plastic that is what i would do. I will ask around my neighborhood.
    Anyone else with any tips ?
    Thank You !
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !