Thread: Who makes best one piece aluminum scope base?

NotoriousAPP

Who makes best one piece aluminum scope base?

I'm building up my first rifle, it will have to do double duty as a hunting and long range bench rifle for the time being until I build a dedicated precision rifle. I love the idea of a one piece steel scope base but I don't like the added weight and I would like to try to use an aluminum mount. My requirements are that the mount is made from 7075-T6 aluminum and is a one piece; I don't want 6061-T6. Does anyone have recommendations besides the EGW HD? Here are the rifle details in case this helps

• Savage 110
    • Sporter barrel (I will be upgrading to a medium varmint barrel soon)
    • Viper PST 6-24x50
    • TPS TSR rings - low (I don't have these yet but I will order them the same time I order the mount)

I know a lot of you want to say, "it's not that much weight difference considering the weight of the entire rifle". I'm of the same mindset but my hunting rifle is getting heavy. First I went from sporter barrel to varmint, then I went from Viper PST 2.5-10x44 to 4-6x50, then I added a Saker 7.62....you get the idea. A man has to say enough at some point. I don't see why a good aluminum base won't work as good as a steel base and save some money at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

n4ue
    OK, as a Certified Mig / Tig welder, I do understand the difference in Aluminum grades. I have a large collection of rifles and an even larger collection of scopes. You will love the Viper scope. I have a bunch. I also have changed all my rifles over to either the EGW base or the Weaver one piece. The Weaver is a bit lower than the EGW. If you are shooting a .338 LM Mag or a .50 BMG you will shear off the mounting screws long before you have problems with the bases. IMHO. I like being able to swap scopes from rifle to rifle (keeping track, of course).
    A lot of guys might disagree, but I have had excellent results with the '6 screw' UTG rings. They align perfectly and have given ZERO problems.
    Yes, I have several Burris and Leupold, etc rings, but the most recoil I enjoy, is a weighted Axis in 7mm-08........

ron

masterblaster
    Check out DNZ or Leupold.

EGW has a one piece base that ia longer for F class believe number is #41030/41032 check first.

Checked numbers #F class 80312 20 deg
    Last edited by Balljoint; 04-23-2014 at 11:02 PM.

NotoriousAPP
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    OK, as a Certified Mig / Tig welder, I do understand the difference in Aluminum grades. I have a large collection of rifles and an even larger collection of scopes. You will love the Viper scope. I have a bunch. I also have changed all my rifles over to either the EGW base or the Weaver one piece. The Weaver is a bit lower than the EGW. If you are shooting a .338 LM Mag or a .50 BMG you will shear off the mounting screws long before you have problems with the bases. IMHO. I like being able to swap scopes from rifle to rifle (keeping track, of course).
    A lot of guys might disagree, but I have had excellent results with the '6 screw' UTG rings. They align perfectly and have given ZERO problems.
    Yes, I have several Burris and Leupold, etc rings, but the most recoil I enjoy, is a weighted Axis in 7mm-08........

ron
    Are you using the standard 6061 or 7075 HD EGW base?

Billch
    http://www.bench-source.com/
    There is one for sale here.
    They are pretty good. I use 'em. Them and EGW.
    I thought I had a better pic, but you get the idea.

B

NotoriousAPP
    I ended up buying the Farrell 20MA base since EGW did not have in stock the 20 MOA base in Aluminum for long action with a flat back, in fact, I wouldn't find anyone that did. Parts for this receiver type are hard to find.....once again, the market underserves the Savage 110.

I prefer weaver myself. IMO...EGW is over priced and over rated. egw,s hardware has much to be desired.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

buxman66
    Check out the seekins precision bases.made w/ 7075-T6 aluminum. Got mine from SWFA for $94 I believe. I had it re-machined for the mounting holes to #8 screws also.

Basic Member
    I have an EGW and I am very happy... However if you want high quality, then this is what ya want.

http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

I imagine he can make one for a savage.