Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will the next big advancement be in the firearm world?

Gunome

What will the next big advancement be in the firearm world?

It would be fair to say that the current day rifles, handguns and anything that goes bang and sends a projectile down range all started from the caveman throwing a rock, spear, bow and arrow as examples.

The progress in this field has been both simplistic in one aspect and very advanced in another.

What in your opinion will be the next big advancement in firearm technology?

The weapons itself?
    The additions like the scope?
    The bullet?

But more importanlty how will it be the next big thing.

Automatic windage-compensating scopes. Don't ask me how. Twenty years ago, who would have guessed we'd have automatic elevation-compensating scopes? Granted, windage is a much more fickle variable than elevation, but I'm sure technology will advance and someone will figure it out.

I want those voltage actuated ammo that the navy uses in the anti??? guns.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Remington already tried that and it never took off.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I hope to have someday one of those Hollywood guns that never run out of ammo. But hopefully not the ones that constantly make the slide racking noise every time they go around a corner!

Basic Member
    Propellant? Compressed nitrogen or?

laws mostly...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

There will probably be more technologically advanced add-ons like that TrackingPoint system in the future. Moore's law almost assures us that electronics will keep getting smaller and/or cheaper, and I suspect they will proliferate into the firearms market. Like barrel-nut says, it's not too difficult to imagine some whiz kids in the industry developing a system that can ascertain windage by reading mirage or background movement. As for a specific prediction, a computer-generated reticule that will consist of one to three concentric circles that grow or shrink around the center crosshair corresponding to a given probability or probabilities of a shot falling within the circles based on gun movement and barrel temperature.

^ This. It's just a matter of time

Basic Member
    I'm honestly afraid of what's going to come next. EfBell stated that laws would be written. I'm afraid that the government will try to implement "safe" firearms that only fire when biometric devices allow them to.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Well, those charges will be led by lobbyists for companies that have already developed technology along those lines. Remember microstamping?

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by EFBell View Post
    laws mostly...
    Afraid I have to agree.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Afraid I have to agree.
    So what is the matter with getting rid of some of the INFRINGEMENTS??

Id say microstamping and 'smart guns'. The smart huns have been requested by the Attorney Gen, Diane and Chuckie et al!! Has to be next with that lineup.

Lets keep politics out of it guys, otherwise we'll be forced to close it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

mazda3gun
    Straight wall cartridges ONLY are now legal for deer rifle hunting in Ohio. I don't live there yet, but I'd say it's definitely an advancement after all these years!

Smart bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by mazda3gun View Post
    SELECT Straight wall cartridges ONLY are now legal for deer rifle hunting in Ohio. I don't live there yet, but I'd say it's definitely an advancement after all these years!
    Fixed that for ya as not all straight walled cartridges are now legal, only those they specifically listed (handgun cartridges predominantly)
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

bflee
    How about an electric trigger that can be set at any weight?

Itsricmo
    I think we might see some form of advancement in ammunition. For too long we have been using the tried and true Brass with Copper and Lead! There is something out there, somewhere, that is going to be cheaper, faster and better... it is going to take time and probably a leap in technology itself, across the board. Propellants or Primers might be the first thing they try to change and see what else can work. Just my thoughts..

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Fixed that for ya as not all straight walled cartridges are now legal, only those they specifically listed (handgun cartridges predominantly)
    Say whaaaat?! They seriously limited which cartridges 'specifically' are allowed?! WOW!

mazda3gun
    I mean, handgun hunting has been accepted there for a while, right? I think it's silly that at least the southern counties near where I currently live in KY, and will be moving to, can't already use "high power centerfire rifles". Terrain isn't any different from Boyd Co, KY to Lawrence Co, OH, just a river in between. Further north, I can see that. It's super flat just a few hours north, a small caliber with a lot of powder would travel immensely greater than a shotgun.

I need to see this list!

mazda3gun
    More .22 ammowould be a definite 'advancement'.....HAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by mazda3gun View Post
    I mean, handgun hunting has been accepted there for a while, right? I think it's silly that at least the southern counties near where I currently live in KY, and will be moving to, can't already use "high power centerfire rifles". Terrain isn't any different from Boyd Co, KY to Lawrence Co, OH, just a river in between. Further north, I can see that. It's super flat just a few hours north, a small caliber with a lot of powder would travel immensely greater than a shotgun.

I need to see this list!
    Per the press release from the ODNR...

The council also approved straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The new regulation is designed to allow additional opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers:
    .357 Magnum
    .357 Maximum
    .38 Special
    .375 Super Magnum
    .375 Winchester
    .38-55
    .41 Long Colt
    .41 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .444 Marlin
    .45 ACP
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum
    .45 Smith & Wesson
    .454 Casull
    .460 Smith & Wesson
    .45-70
    .45-90
    .45-110
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50-70
    .50-90
    .50-100
    .50-110
    .500 Smith & Wesson

A new regulation states shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles used for deer hunting be loaded with no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. The current hunting regulation states a shotgun must be plugged if it is capable of holding more than three shells.
    The question right now is whether or not a tubular rifle magazine would have to somehow be plugged. The wording here doesn't say it would, but since it's not specifically clarified yes or no then it's kind of open to interpretation by the GW's.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The question right now is whether or not a tubular rifle magazine would have to somehow be plugged. The wording here doesn't say it would, but since it's not specifically clarified yes or no then it's kind of open to interpretation by the GW's.
    I get the desire to prevent mass murder of furries and limit ammo capacity in hunting firearms. But, sometimes ya get buck fe-fe-fe-fever and miss LOL!

Folks that want to use AR's for hunting, which has increased hand over fist in the last few years, are probably targeted most. Since they don't make 3rnd mags and all...

Basic Member
    I like the idea of the electronically adjustable trigger, but I really don't want to rely on anything with batteries! I think the big thing is going to be the smart optics that are tied into the gun getting cheaper, but to me that's not much fun when there is so much knowledge to be had determining it all on your own. I think if all the electronics come into play it would change the sport of shooting the first time someone showed up to a competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast