Thread: Savage Model 25 Pump 22 cal

kona1636

Savage Model 25 Pump 22 cal

Just inherited my Dad's and/or possibly grandfather's Savage Model 25 pump action 22 cal rifle. I would really like to be able to restore this since mom didn't know how to take care of the poor thing. The one thing that I'm really having trouble with is trying to track down a replacement stock on for it. Unfortunately a big chunk was broken off of it and not kept (at least so far that I can find). I'm hitting dead ends everywhere for finding a replacement and I'm hoping that someone out here might know of a company that makes replacements. Thanks so much!

I'm just wondering if the model 29 butt fits a 25?

When Sav22 gets around he'll know for sure.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    No other model stock will fit the Model 25. There are house brand versions of the Model 25 and the stock from one of them would fit, some had the same stock and some were without the pistol grip. I would find a good stock repair person and have them add a piece of wood, but I don't know how much is missing. I also always try keep someone from doing a 'restoration' or a refinish - it's OK for old guns to look old. Just get the stock fixed & get it in shooting condition & keep it oiled it so it won't get worse & have fun with it (standard velocity ammo only).

Some house brand's using a Savage Model 25 action -

Kinda neat that the Premier used two screws on each side of the forearm.

Had my 25 out at the range last week and noticed it was missing one of the side screws on the forearm, which models used that screw size Gene?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I am not sure which Models used the same size screws, I know that the screws for a 1914 I compared to them had smaller heads. I'll have to check the later screws for a 29 and see if they are the same.

The Premier has only two screws in the forearm - there are none on the other side. The slide-arm is just a flat piece of metal and only the wood of the forearm is all that wraps around the magazine tube to hold it in place. Late version of the Savage Model 25 were the same. If you split the wood on these fore arms the left side will just fall off - they dropped this idea when they brought out the Model 29.

ridgerider
    I'm a new to the forum and in a similar situation as the original poster. Ive inherited my Dad's gun collection and he has a Model 25 pump action also.

I noticed a part was broken which is causing the shells to jam when ejected. I've checked Numrich and Jack First with no luck. Trying to find the part called 'Operating Lock', per the Numrich site, and 'Operating Handle Screw'. Don't mean to hijack the thread but thought perhaps someone might have a suggestion on where to find these parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

coolwk

Need Parts

Hi -

I too have a Savage Model 25 pump that I inherited. The barrel and stock are in great shape but the "guts" of the action are not working. I took it to a gunsmith who said my only hope is to buy another gun for parts.

Any ideas? It is really a nice looking rifle with octagonal barrel.

Ken