Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzle brakes...i know you got 'em, and i wanna see 'em!!!! surefires?!?!?

RollinCoal24v

muzzle brakes...i know you got 'em, and i wanna see 'em!!!! surefires?!?!?

im deciding which brake to put on my fp-sr. i have ran surefires (the sfmb-xxx models) on most of my rifles in the past and i love them, but there are a lot of great options out there and my main concern is asthetics, its only a .308 gun so its not going to beat me up. so i was wondering if all of you fine fellows could post pictures of what youre running and tell me what they are, and if youve had them turned down at all.

i dont want a gawdy barrett style brake on my rifle, something low key that matches the contour of the barrel.

thanks again and i cant wait to see what you guys have.

112VLP 30-06 with Smith Enterprises brake. One of these days I'll take it back to my smith and have it turned so it blends completely in with my barrel but for now I'm extremely happy with it!

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are two Ross Schuler brakes. The black on is turned to contour and the other isn't. You would have to call him to confirm your barrel diameter to see if he can turn it down. http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooter...zzleBrakes.htm

RollinCoal24v
    Both of those look awesome. I've heard a ton of good things about the smith units.

buxman66
    Save my spot here to post a pic later. Just scored a benny coolie JP brake for my 10FP LE2 on ebay.

Here is mine. First is from muzzlebrakesandmore
    This one is http://killer-innovations.com/?page_id=319

That1guy
    Muscle Break. It was contoured to the barrel.

Side:

Top:

That1guy
    Check out the Badger FTE line, you may not have to turn the break or barrel depending on your barrel diameter. Just screw it on, clamp it down and make sure the bore it reamed out for your caliber.

PDX1953
    I've been looking at muzzle brakes for my .223 Axis but aren't sure if I even need one. The barrel was shortened to 17" and threaded/capped at 1/2 x 28. I don't ever shoot prone and this is the first rifle I've ever had customized to fit my taste so what are the benefits of having a brake? Other than punching paper this gun will only be used for bothering sage rats and probably at a max range of 250 yds. I have use of a range that goes to 1000 yds but couldn't hit a target that far away with a guided missile because I can barely see that far (old age ain't for the young).

Basic Member
    Stock one on my BA.

2111 Marine

Basic Member
    Here's a terminator T2 on a savage 16, i didnt have it turned down to match the barrel, as i will probably end up with a heavier barrel at some point.
    Last edited by nzshooter; 02-09-2014 at 04:05 AM.

PDX1953
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX1953 View Post
    I've been looking at muzzle brakes for my .223 Axis but aren't sure if I even need one. The barrel was shortened to 17" and threaded/capped at 1/2 x 28. I don't ever shoot prone and this is the first rifle I've ever had customized to fit my taste so what are the benefits of having a brake? Other than punching paper this gun will only be used for bothering sage rats and probably at a max range of 250 yds. I have use of a range that goes to 1000 yds but couldn't hit a target that far away with a guided missile because I can barely see that far (old age ain't for the young).
    I appreciate seeing all of those great looking rifles with brakes but I'm still in the dark about whether or not a muzzle brake would be worth adding. I'd appreciate your suggestions & comments because I'm out of my league on this one.

Thanks

buxman66
    Imho, I don't think a muzzle brake is of much value on a .223/5.56 . recoil is negligent and not much issue staying on your sight picture. Personally, I think its more often done for aesthetic reasons more than anything else. Just my personal opinion though.

Eta: the O.P. had a .308 which in my opinion NEEDS a brake which this thread was started by him to learn up on. Subsequent posters should start their own thread for their weapons caliber, if other than said same caliber.do your research.
    Last edited by buxman66; 02-09-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: needed saying

I would not bother on a .223. They are great on big magnum calibers. Mine makes my 300 win mag able to spot my own shots. On a .223 that is already possible. Putting a break on it is just going to make it loud and miserable for anyone around you.

PDX1953
    OK - thanks for the advice. With the barrel shortened to 17" & CeraKoted in Satin Black a polished SS brake looked pretty neat. The "neat" factor would have cost me dearly however. The break was $65 but the barrel would need to come off when the break was bored and that was another $75 shop time. Suddenly $140 worth of bling started me wondering if I really needed it. Now that it's threaded & capped maybe I'll buy a can for it - it'd be my first.

223 4 me
    My budget Stevens 200 30,06 project, of course I prefer a threaded rig but my shooting budget is stretched kinda thin as I am building a F-class stick and down range at least twice a week so this Witt Machine unit got the nod. She holds a 200 yard zero perfectly so I'm happy with it for $90.00 to the door.

I'm looking a the Seekins Large ATC break for my FP-SR .308. $130 MSRP
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 4 me View Post
    My budget Stevens 200 30,06 project, of course I prefer a threaded rig but my shooting budget is stretched kinda thin as I am building a F-class stick and down range at least twice a week so this Witt Machine unit got the nod. She holds a 200 yard zero perfectly so I'm happy with it for $90.00 to the door.

how do you like that Brake ?? , just installed one on my .308 and haven't been to the range yet !!

223 4 me
    2111 Marine.....I got to tell ya, I am very happy with it. I really like that the Marine sniper that designed and manufactures them left the bottom flat without ports as I shoot of a mat from the prone often, and that keeps the dirt and dust from coming up :} In addition the ports are large enough to clean with q tips very easily without removing and soaking it. Probably around a 50% reduction of recoil on the 30,06 but awfully loud. I'm sure you will be impressed as well. Good shootin

Seekins ATC thread on w/jam nut.....works good !

[B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

campdude
    More please :)

Here is one new one of mine
    Here is the best part.

Basic Member
    Nice brakes! I'm thinking about putting one on my 11VT in 308. What would be a fair price to have a gunsmith thread the barrel for it?

I pay $75 to have barrel threaded, brake contoured and clocked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast