Thread: Another Axis

cranebird

Another Axis

I finally bought another Axis in 22-250 caliber without the scope option for $289 so I am happy.I threw the already modded .223 trigger in it since I put the accu-trigger in the .223 but I am most likely going to put a Timney system in the new one.I am at odds for a stock.I 'm not crazy about the flexability in the Axis stock but I am not crazy about the extra weight of the Prairie Hunter and from what I'm reading, there isn't a lighter option .Does anyone know if a accu-stock will fit the axis or any info of a lighter weight stock that doesn't flex would be appreciated.Weight is an issue since I walk into where I coyote hunt.I have permission to hunt 220 acres an 1/8 mile from my home.I managed to take 3 coyotes towards the end of the season with the .223/sightron /old flexi axis stock setup but since went with the Boyd's stock and it added quite a bit more weight to it.I will have to haul it out for a walkabout and see if it I can live with it.

Take a look at Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole....got one for my Axis 22-250 and like it a lot!

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Take a look at Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole....got one for my Axis 22-250 and like it a lot!
    The Featherweight thumbhole weighs 2.3-2.5 lbs. The prairie hunter I have is said to average 2.8 lbs. I know that need to lose the Harris bipod and find a shooting stick or something.I bought the Boyd's in the first place to be able to use a Harris bipod . It's not just the stock, it's the combination of stock/scope/bipod and was wondering if anyone else found themselves in a similar situation. Thanks again.

cranebird
    I've solved my problem. I gave the Harris bipod to my nephew. Now to seek putting a limbsaver recoil pad on this thing.I am still thinking of milling slots in the bottom forearm piece and shave out a pocket in the butt stock . The next question is will the 25-06 or .243 axis be next ?

cranebird
    Well I got another Ramen noodle budget scope delivered last night. The discontinued Nikon Coyote special 4.5-12X40.I used the stock split mount bases and a set of Burris high rings. Everything went together like pork chops and applesauce. I threw a Sims whip doowiggy gadget on it. I'm not sure it needed it since I haven't even fired a round yet.

cranebird
    Just so you know,I had the Sims barrel de-resonator doowiggy in the wrong place in the picture.That happened to be the location for a supported barrel stock system.You want to be out 3/4" from the end for floating barrel...
    Last edited by cranebird; 04-24-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Scoped.22
    Sweet rifle, but what is the de resonator doowiggy?

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoped.22 View Post
    Sweet rifle, but what is the de resonator doowiggy?
    I don't think I can post a link to it since it is not a sponsor but look up Sims limbsaver X-ring. It sounds like a far fetched gimmick and I don't know if it works.I do know the 22-250 is an accurate one but I put the Sims doowiggy on there before I ever shot it and now I don't know if the stupid thing does work or not.I don't want to move it or touch it since it is shooting so well. In saying that, I'm having another doowiggy delivered today along with another Nikon scope exactly like the one pictured in this post to put on my .223 so I might be able to share an opinion on it since I already know how the .223 was before I throw the Sims doowiggy on it.

Scoped.22
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I don't think I can post a link to it since it is not a sponsor but look up Sims limbsaver X-ring. It sounds like a far fetched gimmick and I don't know if it works.I do know the 22-250 is an accurate one but I put the Sims doowiggy on there before I ever shot it and now I don't know if the stupid thing does work or not.I don't want to move it or touch it since it is shooting so well. In saying that, I'm having another doowiggy delivered today along with another Nikon scope exactly like the one pictured in this post to put on my .223 so I might be able to share an opinion on it since I already know how the .223 was before I throw the Sims doowiggy on it.
    Very interesting, some guy on Amazon said his groups went from 2" to .75" with it. I may have to pick up a couple and see what happens.

cranebird
    As stated earlier, The Sims doowiggy arrived and on along with the scope.I need to work on getting another set of Burris rings here and shed those Quad locks.I got the doowiggy in tan color this time.

cranebird
    Well I went and shot 5 rounds at 100 yards with the new doowiggy and scope on it. I don't think that it shot any better than it did without it. That Sims doowiggy looks different on there and it has my nephew and his buddy asking all sorts of questions about it . I suspect Sims will sell a couple more real soon..... If you think you need one, get one, they are cheap entertainment...Do they work ? I can't tell but It didn't hurt anything.....would I rather have my $9 back ? Not really,$9 ain't a lot to be out.It's something you don't see everyday....
    Last edited by cranebird; 04-27-2014 at 06:24 PM.