Thread: Another Axis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cranebird

Another Axis

I finally bought another Axis in 22-250 caliber without the scope option for $289 so I am happy.I threw the already modded .223 trigger in it since I put the accu-trigger in the .223 but I am most likely going to put a Timney system in the new one.I am at odds for a stock.I 'm not crazy about the flexability in the Axis stock but I am not crazy about the extra weight of the Prairie Hunter and from what I'm reading, there isn't a lighter option .Does anyone know if a accu-stock will fit the axis or any info of a lighter weight stock that doesn't flex would be appreciated.Weight is an issue since I walk into where I coyote hunt.I have permission to hunt 220 acres an 1/8 mile from my home.I managed to take 3 coyotes towards the end of the season with the .223/sightron /old flexi axis stock setup but since went with the Boyd's stock and it added quite a bit more weight to it.I will have to haul it out for a walkabout and see if it I can live with it.

Take a look at Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole....got one for my Axis 22-250 and like it a lot!

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Take a look at Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole....got one for my Axis 22-250 and like it a lot!
    The Featherweight thumbhole weighs 2.3-2.5 lbs. The prairie hunter I have is said to average 2.8 lbs. I know that need to lose the Harris bipod and find a shooting stick or something.I bought the Boyd's in the first place to be able to use a Harris bipod . It's not just the stock, it's the combination of stock/scope/bipod and was wondering if anyone else found themselves in a similar situation. Thanks again.

cranebird
    I've solved my problem. I gave the Harris bipod to my nephew. Now to seek putting a limbsaver recoil pad on this thing.I am still thinking of milling slots in the bottom forearm piece and shave out a pocket in the butt stock . The next question is will the 25-06 or .243 axis be next ?

cranebird
    Well I got another Ramen noodle budget scope delivered last night. The discontinued Nikon Coyote special 4.5-12X40.I used the stock split mount bases and a set of Burris high rings. Everything went together like pork chops and applesauce. I threw a Sims whip doowiggy gadget on it. I'm not sure it needed it since I haven't even fired a round yet.

cranebird
    Just so you know,I had the Sims barrel de-resonator doowiggy in the wrong place in the picture.That happened to be the location for a supported barrel stock system.You want to be out 3/4" from the end for floating barrel...
    Last edited by cranebird; 04-24-2014 at 07:59 PM.