Thread: Axis 270 w/scope combo.

gregskin

Axis 270 w/scope combo.

I bought the gun in Dec. I've been busy shooting birds so I haven had a chance to shoot it. I did yesterday. When I bought it they said it was factory bore sighted. Well at 50 yds I couldn't even hit paper. Also the scope seemed crooked as in tilted to the left. I know a bore sight is not dead on but just a good starting point. It also seemed the barrel is touching the left side of the fore end. At the cost of ammo it was pretty frustrating. And the detachable mag is not the greatest fit.

Sounds like it needs a "tune up". Just loosen the rings a bit and rotate the scope to the right until it looks level, take a bit off the stock fore end where it rubs. Bore sight it again at something set at 25 yards. Don't know what to tell you about the mag fit without more info. Also might want to consider getting into reloading your own.

gregskin
    Thanks for the info. How high should it be at 25yds?

I usually set a round target at 25 and zero it to that....that will put you roughly right on at 100. Have you bore sighted with a scope before?

gregskin
    No.

No
    Ok. After you look through the bore and align it with the target, then look through the scope. If the windage cross hair is right of the target click the windage RIGHT not left. Same with the elevation cross hair. If the elevation is high, click the elevation knob UP. So left move Right, right move LEFT. Up move UP, down move DOWN. It is just bass ackwards from normal.

gregskin
    Well that could have been a big part of my prob. The little booklet doesn't even say that. So I bet I was hitting the dirt 10 ft before the target...thx for the info.

Been there and done that!

gregskin
    I've been using my grandpa's 300 win mag and the scope is dead on @300yds just wanted to retire the ol thank. I never had to touch the scope. Thx again for the info. I'll get it there in time for deer. If not ,pop's gun comes out. I hunt in Idaho with family. I live in Ca. So tried to get something a little smaller caliber. Guess I got to learn how to zero a scope someday. And now its time.

Yep it is time. The 25 yard bore sight is a little rough so I usually take the colored top off a spray paint can and set it up at about 35 yards and refine the bore sight....usually gets you pretty close to fine tune at 100. Your scope probably does not have a parallax adjustment so it will probably be pretty blurry at 25, a little better at 35 and pretty good at 50. Good luck on the deer hunt! Bill (Zuni Mountains, New Mexico.)

gregskin
    Is that the 1-9 adjustment on the eye relief?? Or is that the reticle adjuster.

The 1-9 adjustment is your power ring and has nothing to do with parallax. The Parallax adjustment is usually on the objective end and you turn it to match the yardage you are shooting at. Some scopes have a side parallax adjustment that is opposite the windage knob. The scope that came with the Axis most likely does not have parallax adjustment.

http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/ None of these Revenge scopes except the 6-18x44 have parallax adjustment. Click on that scope and you will see the difference between it and the others.

gregskin
    Ah the scope on the 300 has one. It was handed to me turn key..I don't touch nothing on it and hav got 2 mulies in 3 years.

gregskin
    And I am no great hunter. I have a great brother in-law. Without him I'd still be looking in all the wrong places..lol

Hey two out of three ain't bad bro....the brother in law got you there but you took the shots.