Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bonded bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    You just stated in a much better way, the point I have been trying to make
    Thanks Luke, and I do understand what you're saying, and even agree to a point, but I just don't trust bullets like SST's or Ballistic Tips, due to their occasionally quirky behavior, and the idea that i don't like my sausage flavored with lead. But you are absolutely correct that "premium" bullets are not necessary for deer hunting. They are, however, what some folks prefer to use, and that's all good.

How's that for riding the fence?? Lol.

Basic Member
    I'm a big fan of the gameking and prohunter, never used the SST. I've always thought of the nosler ballistic tip as more of a "coyote" type bullet.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Thanks Luke, and I do understand what you're saying, and even agree to a point, but I just don't trust bullets like SST's or Ballistic Tips, due to their occasionally quirky behavior, and the idea that i don't like my sausage flavored with lead. But you are absolutely correct that "premium" bullets are not necessary for deer hunting. They are, however, what some folks prefer to use, and that's all good.

How's that for riding the fence?? Lol.
    I definitly respect your choices and sound logic !

daniel87
    Op that is your personal opinion.
    But I call bull.
    Like all things shot placement is king.
    The bonded fed fuzion did tremendous damage to. Two white tail last season in .308 at 50 yards.

Basic Member
    At 50 yds it didn't matter, they wouldn't have been any less dead with bullets or ammo 1/4 of the price

daniel87
    Quote Originally Posted by Londerko View Post
    At 50 yds it didn't matter, they wouldn't have been any less dead with bullets or ammo 1/4 of the price
    The op said bonded dont work well. That bonded is bad on medium size game

If the op wants to discuss longer range than discuss the range

I said
    . They work

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel87 View Post
    Op that is your personal opinion.
    But I call bull.
    Like all things shot placement is king.
    The bonded fed fuzion did tremendous damage to. Two white tail last season in .308 at 50 yards.
    If it works for you and you have confidence in it then great! I have had good luck with lighter constructed bullets on deer sized game, never wounded one with light constructed bullets, and almost exclusively one hit kills dead on impact.I

Basic Member
    Bonded bullets and all copper bullets are completely pointless for medium deer sized and smaller game, they will actually kill them slower than a traditional bullet. If you use these on this sized or smaller game you are wasting money and actually being less efficient.

I keep seeing commercials, adds in magazine, ect thT are basically saying you need a bonded bullet all game for 90% weight retention blah blah blah and it's annoying and false
    I totally agree based on my experience in the field.

...Sectional density plays a significant part in terminal ballistics
    Absolutely correct!

The issue is WHICH sectional density counts -- the free-flying bullet? or the deformed bullet?

Answer:

• The SD of the free-flying bullet helps define the ballistic coefficient. The BC, coupled with the MV, and range, are the dominant players in defining the start of the terminal ballistics phase.

How often do we look at a recovered bullet and wonder "When did it expand to that new shape?" That happens within inches of impact.

• The penetration phase is dominated by the sectional density of the deformed bullet.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Absolutely correct!

The issue is WHICH sectional density counts -- the free-flying bullet? or the deformed bullet?

Answer:

• The SD of the free-flying bullet helps define the ballistic coefficient. The BC, coupled with the MV, and range, are the dominant players in defining the start of the terminal ballistics phase.

How often do we look at a recovered bullet and wonder "When did it expand to that new shape?" That happens within inches of impact.

• The penetration phase is dominated by the sectional density of the deformed bullet.
    Strait off harnadys website
    "A bullet’s sectional density also affects the amount of damage it can cause. Sectional density (a bullet’s weight in pounds divided by its diameter squared) describes a bullet’s length for its diameter: The higher the number, the longer the bullet. Generally speaking, the larger a bullet’s sectional density, the deeper it will penetrate."
    And again
    "Expansion can be controlled by the bullet’s tip design and by the jacket construction. Rapidly expanding bullets create a wider wound channel, displacing even more tissue and increasing temporary cavitation, but they also increase drag, thus requiring more energy and momentum to drive through tissue, and in general don’t penetrate as deeply as bullets designed to expand more slowly"

Strait off harnadys website
    "A bullet’s sectional density also affects the amount of damage it can cause. Sectional density (a bullet’s weight in pounds divided by its diameter squared) describes a bullet’s length for its diameter: The higher the number, the longer the bullet. Generally speaking, the larger a bullet’s sectional density, the deeper it will penetrate."
    And again
    "Expansion can be controlled by the bullet’s tip design and by the jacket construction. Rapidly expanding bullets create a wider wound channel, displacing even more tissue and increasing temporary cavitation, but they also increase drag, thus requiring more energy and momentum to drive through tissue, and in general don’t penetrate as deeply as bullets designed to expand more slowly"
    ...and does Hornady give a physical basis for the model?

I used the HITS methodology for a long time both for personal investigations and for my writing.

It was the writing, particularly the search for a way to modify the HITS methodology to include premium bullets, that lead me to the alternative approach.

In my view, HITS still gives results that are hard to argue with and any disagreements with the recommended "Ideal Bullet Weight" tend to be at the margins.

Bullitt 454
    How do you figure the SD of a bullet that comes apart?

Luke45
    will a 180 gr 7mm bullet
    Act upon impact the exact same as a 180 gr 338 cal bullet of the same weight and velocity and construction? ( wound canal, penetration, ect)
    I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt 454 View Post
    It can be done as soon as you know the dimensions and materials of the fragments.

There is an alternative path based on gel and wet-newsprint tests. You will see in the references to the Ideal Bullet Weight paper that an extensive set of tests support the conclusion that penetration in game is largely independent of caliber and impact velocity when the bullet impacts within its design envelope (usually 2,000 to 3,000 fps).

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    It can be done as soon as you know the dimensions and materials of the fragments.

There is an alternative path based on gel and wet-newsprint tests. You will see in the references to the Ideal Bullet Weight paper that an extensive set of tests support the conclusion that penetration in game is largely independent of caliber and impact velocity when the bullet impacts within its design envelope (usually 2,000 to 3,000 fps).
    So now velocity and sectional density dont matter..... so a 180gr 338 cal at 2000fps acts the same as 180gr 7mm bullet at 3000..... yea....

Luke45
    This "ideal bullet wieght" paper also says the minimum non bonded bullet weight for coyote Huntin should be 70 gr, wich i find amusing. You can go soak some
    Newspapers and shoot them and write an article saying pretty
    Much whatever You want. Lots of "papers" contradict this

Who wrote that paper?
    Last edited by Luke45; 04-24-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Basic Member
    So now velocity and sectional density dont matter..... so a 180gr 338 cal at 2000fps acts the same as 180gr 7mm bullet at 3000..... yea....
    I am curious if anyone could prove him wrong, I haven't done any scientific tests, but I would definately think that the 7mm bullet @ 3000 fps or even the same speed as the 338 bullet for that matter, would penetrate deeper than the 338 bullet of the same weight

bflee
    All of this is pointless. I know my rifle and my rounds as do you. Shoot what you want and be efficient and ethical. Thank you! Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt 454 View Post
    We have a winner!! Quote of the Day!!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    All of this is pointless. I know my rifle and my rounds as do you. Shoot what you want and be efficient and ethical. Thank you! Have a nice day!
    Also this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234