Thread: flash hole deburr help

Basic Member

flash hole deburr help

I want to deburr the flash holes in 500 cases. Looking at the various tools available I don't see a way to hook the tool up to a cordless drill.
    Does the main tool unscrew from the RCBS unit (or any other) in a way that would allow me to do this?

Any recommendations on an easier way to do 500 cases than to sit on the sofa with a case of beer?
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I want to deburr the flash holes in 500 cases. Looking at the various tools available I don't see a way to hook the tool up to a cordless drill.
    Does the main tool unscrew from the RCBS unit (or any other) in a way that would allow me to do this?

Any recommendations on an easier way to do 500 cases than to sit on the sofa with a case of beer?
    Your best bet, get a deburring tool, a Lyman for example, cut the handle off then chuck it in a drill. I've made a couple using numbers 0,1 and 2 center drills and sections old aluminum cleaning rods.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    K&M makes what you are looking for

Basic Member
    I figured I'd have to modify something to work in a drill. I did not see anything on the K&M site that was cordless drill ready, so I might as well cut up a new Lyman or RCBS.
    But here's what is probably a dumb question:
    Why not just use an ordinary drill bit? I just tried one and it seemed to work perfect. What am I missing?????

Basic Member
    With a drill bit you are cleaning the hole but not removing any burr on the inside of the case that may be present.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I would checkout 21st Century, their flash hole deburring tool looks like it might work with a drill.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

masterblaster
    I have the Lyman, and just got the K&M, the Lyman was okay but you had to adjust the mandrel for every caliber the K&M can just slip in the drill or unscrew it from the drill socket and screw the shaft into your trim mate and go from there, I have uniformed about 600 LC cases in the last week with it, much better. The K&M has a flange on the bit with a set reaming depth so each case is exactly the same, it indexes off the web, the Lyman indexes off the case mouth which is not uniform for each case. Good luck.

Patch700
    I figured I'd have to modify something to work in a drill. I did not see anything on the K&M site that was cordless drill ready, so I might as well cut up a new Lyman or RCBS.
    But here's what is probably a dumb question:
    Why not just use an ordinary drill bit? I just tried one and it seemed to work perfect. What am I missing?????
    Theoretically there is no reason that won't work so long as you :

1) Install a collar on the bit so the depth it cuts is controlled and very minimal and all brass is trimmed to exactly the same length as you'll be utilizing the case mouth as a stop so to speak.
    2) Ensure that the size of the bit doesn't enlarge the hole itself and merely removes the burr or flap if you will... Oversized flash holes are a proven way to destroy accuracy via inconsistent ignition .

In my opinion this is one of those areas where a little goes a long way so I would be careful with the drill setup , you see people post videos all the time of them trimming brass with their fancy drill , running the case into the cutter for a period of time that makes you wonder if the brass is being melted or trimmed lol..

stewart3
    Just a few turns of the proper tool by hand is all that's needed imho.

Basic Member
    Yep ! I'm OK with the Beer and Sofa idea? The drill is way overkill IMHO? :-))

Basic Member
    I use an RCBS casemaster. Unscrew the unit from the handle. Screw it into RCBS casemaster, adjust it and you are good to go.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Since I have 500 cases to do, and my new barrel is at least 3 months out, I've decided to invest more in the beer and just use the hand tool as designed.
    I'll let ya'll know how it went when I sober up :)

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Since I have 500 cases to do, and my new barrel is at least 3 months out, I've decided to invest more in the beer and just use the hand tool as designed.
    I'll let ya'll know how it went when I sober up :)
    This is the best idea I have heard!!

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by twarren View Post
    I use an RCBS casemaster. Unscrew the unit from the handle. Screw it into RCBS casemaster, adjust it and you are good to go.
    I do the same thing....bought the Lyman handtool one, they unscrew from the handle and just screw it into the RCBS case prep center...but I rarely uniform primer pockets anymore, just never saw any real benefits from doing so...cleaning primer pockets alone seemed to provide the same results for me.

Go to home depot or Lowes and get an 8-32 sex bolt, cut off one of the heads and tighten it in your drill chuck, most reloading tolls will fit right in

Quote Originally Posted by jhazelwood View Post
    Go to home depot or Lowes and get an 8-32 sex bolt
    Man, I must have been looking down the wrong aisles!
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_Erudite View Post
    It's right next to ladies lingerie and sporting goods.........

Mike Vegas
    Don't use a drill, it's so easy to get carried away and end with an oversized flash hole... (That's what she said?)

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_Erudite View Post
    makes 2 of us! hahahaha