Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Hog Hunter Pictures ?

bama1

She's almost done.

jac091498
    Bama1, what stock and muzzle brake are you using?

bama1
    I put it in an Accustock and that's an aac mount for a sdn-6.

chanerz

campdude
    I started this when I was thinking of doing my build on my Hog Hunter

Here are the results

Basic Member
    I put this one together for a friend. Boyd's Thumbhole stock,Weaver 20 moa rail,Burris Signature Zee rings,and a Weaver Classic Extreme 4-16x50 scope.

Basic Member
    delete

Basic Member
    New addition! Can't wait to get it to the range. I have pretty busy few weeks coming up but will be out by the end of the month for sure.

Olvi
    Oh snap i think i want one!

Savage_in_TX
    Quote Originally Posted by campdude View Post
    I started this when I was thinking of doing my build on my Hog Hunter

Here are the results

Campdude, I've been looking for a stock just like for my .308 Hog Hunter. What stock is it and how much did it cost? Did you have to get it inletted for the DBM and what bottom metal are you using? I was thinking of getting a similar setup to what you have in these pics but I plan on getting the barrel chopped down to 16.25" and maybe running it in a scout rifle configuration. The rifle is going to mainly be used for popping hogs in central and south Texas. Nice looking rifle you got.

Zoomanderson
    I want to do a similar build to some of these but don't know much about long range. With the 20 MOA base will I still be able to shoot up close i.e. Within 100 yards?
    I also don't know anything about Savages as the hog hunter I'm picking up today will be my first. Am I correct that the Model they are built on a model 10 action and that there are multiple models built on this same action?

jac091498
    I'm also new to long range shooting so I hope I explain this right. The 20 moa mount should be fine for 100yd shooting assuming the scope you use has enough internal adjustment. For example, if you get a scope with 60 moa internal adjustment, the scope will roughly zero somewhere around 30 moa (about 30 moa available up and 30 down for adjustments). The 20 moa base means you will have to adjust up once mounted about 20moa to have the zero you had without the 20moa base. Once adjusted with 60 moa internal adjustment, you will have about 50 moa down and still about 10moa up. The hog hunter is model 11 action but I think this is the same action (or very similar) as the model 10. There are many savage rifles built on the same action. ** Again, I am new to long range shooting and savages so I hope I have given you accurate information.

kenl
    Here's my .338wm Hog Hunter on a South African safari. It was bought for this trip, with the short threaded barrel, accu-trigger, iron sights, and relatively light weight as the main selling points. It preformed perfectly. Bought it a little over a year before we went, and put over a hundred rounds through it to get to know it. It was kept simple, with a Leopold vx-2 3x9-40, Leopold Rifleman mounts and low rings, and a Tacticool22 muzzle brake. With the short barrel, it's handy in the field, more accurate than I am, and kicks like a lightly loaded 30-06 with the brake.

It was very effective safari rifle. It took down a Impala, Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, and a large zebra with one shot each. Ranges varied from a little less than 100yds to over 250yds. Very pleased with it. I think Savage does the rifle a disservice by calling it a Hog Hunter. It really is a great knock-around world class hunting rifle.

campdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage_in_TX View Post
    Campdude, I've been looking for a stock just like for my .308 Hog Hunter. What stock is it and how much did it cost? Did you have to get it inletted for the DBM and what bottom metal are you using? I was thinking of getting a similar setup to what you have in these pics but I plan on getting the barrel chopped down to 16.25" and maybe running it in a scout rifle configuration. The rifle is going to mainly be used for popping hogs in central and south Texas. Nice looking rifle you got.
    Thanks TX,

It is a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in pepper and the lower metal is factory Savage I ordered directly from them. The 10 round mag is Dark Angel customs, I had to open up the barrel channel and do a little fitting work on the bottom metal, but was fairly easy for me and it was the first one I had done. It pleased me the first time at the range.

Sam5300
    Quote Originally Posted by campdude View Post
    Thanks TX,

It is a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in pepper and the lower metal is factory Savage I ordered directly from them. The 10 round mag is Dark Angel customs, I had to open up the barrel channel and do a little fitting work on the bottom metal, but was fairly easy for me and it was the first one I had done. It pleased me the first time at the range.

Was the forend thick enough after you opened up the barrel channel? I'd like to get a boyds classic stock on one of my savages if I decide to put a varmint weight barrel on it but they say it will be too big of a channel for the forend. Thanks

campdude
    Plenty thick on the Prairie Hunter, cannot speak for his other stocks. The HH has a medium contour barrel.

Basic Member
    Here is my .308 with Leupold 2-7 in Warne Quick Release rings/mounts.

Zoomanderson
    Ok, I'm trying to drop one of these inyo a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and am having issues. I get it installed, but when I close the bolt, the trigger won't move. If I loosen the action screw, it eventually (within five shots) work it's way out of the screw hole. What the hell is going on? Yes, I have the right stock because I already got the wrong one and had to get it replaced. I'd really appreciate some help with this. It's driving me nuts.

Was your rifle a Hog hunter or a different model? The trigger is hitting some part of the inlet. Leave the trigger guard off and try to operate the bolt. now look from underneath and see where it is hitting. Look at the front and rear of the trigger up in the inlet.

40bullzi
    Txhillbilly, which Boyds stock did u use? I just one for my Axis II and love it. Boyds said they do not make one for the hog hunter. I assume you did some fitting work to it? Thx.

Zoomanderson
    Robinhood, it's a hog hunter. I may have solved the problem. The back action screw was a little bit too tight. Probably not a permenant fix though. Will try at the range this weekend.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bama1 View Post
    I put it in an Accustock and that's an aac mount for a sdn-6.
    I'd like to do exactly the same thing. Was it difficult to install the Accustock on the Hog Hunter?
    Thanks.

Zoomanderson
    Here's mine. If nothing else, it looks good.

Team Savage
    Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    zoom, what scope is that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast