Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Hog Hunter Pictures ?

campdude

Any Hog Hunter Pictures ?

Thinking about building up a Hog Hunter in 308 any pics or tips for a new member ?

Thanks

Have you watched the PIG MAN on the sportsman channel killing pigs from a helo with a shot gun and bow.

campdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Have you watched the PIG MAN on the sportsman channel killing pigs from a helo with a shot gun and bow.
    I have not seen that, I am not a hunter, so the only time I watch stuff like that is if I at my fathers house and he is either watching hunting or golf.

Quote Originally Posted by campdude View Post
    Thinking about building up a Hog Hunter in 308 any pics or tips for a new member ?

Thanks
    Well, I don't have any pics of me shooting hogs, squirrels or ANYTHING for that matter from a helicopter...

BUT I do have a Hog Hunter in .308 Win. I LOVE this gun! Even with the OEM stock, I thought it was very cool. Heres what I did; Put an A2 Flash hider on the muzzle (for aesthetics - thought about a brake but the cost and the relatively moderate recoil did not warrant it for me- I also wanted to protect the threads.). Took off the iron sights (they are made by LPA and are nice, but my old eyeballs AND the distances I want to shoot require a scope). Put on an EGW 0 MOA rail (lucky me, EGW is about 5 miles from my front door!). Used a set of Burris Medium Signature Zee rings and mounted a 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmasters scope. Then I bought a Boyds varmint thumbhole stock for it. I favor the thumbholes and this is the regular- not the "light" varminter. Color is "pepper" -looks great even if I do say so myself! I use a Harris bi-pod- the 9-13" most of the time, although I have the 11(?)-27" also..

The wife and I are trying to figure out how to retrieve our pictures that are in our computer somewhere (!!??) I've been wanting to post pics of my guns for a while, so maybe next week I'll take some new ones and post 'em.

Did I mention I love this gun? Got some loads worked up and it consistently shoots in the high .2xxx- low .3xxx at 100 yards- shot it at 200 for the first time a few weeks ago and grouped in the mid .8xxx" at 200. This is with 155 Gn. AMAX bullets. I'm betting it will do better but I'm holding it back!

You won't be sorry with a purchase of this gun- and the 20" barrell is NO hinderance in any way. I'm totally hooked on Savages-and this gun, like many other Savages, delivers ACCURACY- customizability (is that a word?) and that elusive but tangible "coolness factor" for a VERY fair price...

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

DUH- I just "got" Balljoint's comment= Hog Hunter pictures- pictures of a person hunting hogs....(us folks that live in the Philly 'burbs are a little slow sometimes...)

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

campdude
    Brian,

Sounds like a nice setup and would love to see some pictures, I have been eyeballing the pepper colored stocks from Boyd's myself.
    Last edited by campdude; 04-20-2014 at 08:09 AM.

badmutha6
    I love my hog hunter too man, you have to replace that stock but other than that its great.

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

It's not a 308, but you get the idea.

223 Hog Hunter with B&C Medalist Tactical & SWFA SS 10x42 Mil/Mil

campdude
    Quote Originally Posted by badmutha6 View Post
    I love my hog hunter too man, you have to replace that stock but other than that its great.
    That is why I wanted to see pics, so I can see what stocks and other mod can be done to this rifle.

SK13R,

That looks great, how do you like that fixed scope and what kind of range do you shoot?

Thanks

badmutha6
    I know man but I'm at work and the rifles at home

Basic Member
    Thanks! It's been a fun gun to work up to and learn with. I love the scope! I've only been able to have it out in the field once so far I had a Vortex Diamondback on it before. Furthest I've shot with it so far was 400 yards. I was consistently and easily hitting the 6" steel plate that far. I'm going to stretch to 5 and 600 when I can get out again.

badmutha6
    Alright man, I got some photos transfered and I had to come to the office. Some things have changed on the rifle a bit since the first pics. From stock, only a couple things have been done. I added a Yankee Hill muzzle brake for my YHM Titanium Phantom QD that is coming in (UPS Says today Thank God Finally). That brake works really well. There is a Harris bipod on it now though I had a cheap Caldwell one on there. I replaced the 0 moa base with the 20 moa base and went with lower rings. I'm running the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mildot and love it for the money. Its passed the box test and tracks well and is inexpensive. The stock is the Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist that I shipped to CDI for inletting and bottom metal. I really like the setup but some folks dont. Here's a link to a guy on the hide who further modded his BC Medalist a whole bunch.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...ification.html

Things to note: Yes in one of the pics the brake hasn't been fully torqued.
    Things I would consider: If you are planning on going with a magazine system, I'd strongly consider one of the chassis systems from Mcrees or MDT or something. I have nearly $600 ($300 for stock and shipping and $300 for inletting, bottom metal, shipping) in the stock now and while I do really like it, I probably won't go this route for any future builds but instead work on getting a chassis from the start.

Here's the pics though.

campdude
    Looks good bad and I will most likely end up doing a magazine setup for it. Lots of this is new to me so I am learing as I go and glad to have entered into a site with lots of knowledge.

hank440
    I went with a HS varmint stock from stocky's and an accurate mag bottom metal, it was all drop in with just a little sanding to get the perfect fit.

LeatherDr
    Love the hogs guys! I had my eyes set on one to build. No one had one local though. Too late now as I took it a step farther! But I still want a hog with the short barrel.

Here is my Hog Hunter.

campdude
    Wow Ray, would have never guessed that was a Hog Hunter, looks good.

Yep its a great shooter too.

badmutha6
    Ray, when you took off the irons, did you fill the holes?

Basic Member
    That is well done Ray!

badmutha - you can plug the holes with the set screws from where your scope base attaches. That's what I did at least.

badmutha6
    ****, where did I put those?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badmutha6 View Post
    ****, where did I put those?
    LOL! I know how that goes!

Quote Originally Posted by SK13R View Post
    That is well done Ray!

badmutha - you can plug the holes with the set screws from where your scope base attaches. That's what I did at least.
    Yep that is what I did too. Eventually I will change the barrel out... That is the nice part about shooting a Savage.

Raydee, what chassis is that? Awesome looking stick, man.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Raydee, what chassis is that? Awesome looking stick, man.
    That is a XLR Industries Evolution chassis.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast