Thread: Build Started

Basic Member

Build with Range Report

After a lot of reading on this forum I decided to do a custom build on a savage platform. I wanted a 1000 yard capable gun that I could also use for whitetails/hogs in Alabama. This gun, when used for hunting will only be used on agriculture fields and clearcuts. I'm going with the 6.5-284 cartridge, I already have the dies for a buddies savage in the same caliber. I am trying to keep the weight down below 10lbs, which is going to be a struggle.

I started with a 30-06 Stevens 200 with the plane tupperware stock.

I ended up going with the Criterion Barrel, recoil lug & precision barrel nut, compliments of Northland Shooters. These guys are great and had the barrel to me within a couple of day's. I ended up going with the varmit contour stainless (26")

I then adjusted the stock Stevens trigger for creep, over travel and weight. It now breaks clean and is right around 3.5-4lbs, which I find ideal for a rifle that will be used in a treestand on a cold morning.

I went back and forth on the stock that I wanted. I wanted something somewhat tactical but weight was the deciding factor. I ended up ordering the Boyd's Tacticool. I have several Boyds stocks and have been pleased with all of them. I wanted an unfinished version of this stock but settled for the finished one with the non skid black coating. I also ordered, From Boyds the stainless hardware and trigger guard.

Since this is a "custom" gun, i use that term loosely, LOL. I decided that the plain black stock was to plain. So, I taped off the areas that I wanted to keep the non skid and started sanding. I referenced a McMillan stock for the area to be left alone.

I then used the highly precise way of opening up the barrel channel to fit the new Criterion Barrel, A socket, sandpaper and elbow greese.

I had originally planned on painting this stock tan and doing the Krylon webbing paint over it. After an unsuccessful trip to multiple store, in order to find the webbing paint; i decided to go with a stone look. I could have ordered the paint but I am impatient and wanted to work on it. I was, after completing the paint job, very pleased with the look. In addition to the paint it received several coats of AlumaHyde Clear. Here is the gun mocked up.

I am 99% sure I am going to put a 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquest on this gun. I would however, take some additional recommendations if you have them. I also need to determine what I want to do with the bolt body, which bolt handle/knob (Stainless or black) and what bases. I am leaning towards a 20moa rail. What other options are out there and recommended?

This has been a fun project and there is a ton of useful information on this sight! I have built/modded several guns in the past but this is the first one that I have done a barrel change on. several years ago I sporterized a 100 year old Mosin Nagant. It has proved to also be very accurate and I have had the opportunity to take several deer with it. I guess this started my obsession with customized guns.

Last edited by Joshm28; 04-26-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Nice job on the stock. I ordered the 6.5x20 Zeiss this morning for my 6x55 wildcat. I chose the #42 reticle, MilDot. You will probably want to grab a 20moa base for your build if you decide to stretch its legs out as far as the 6.5x284 can go. That deal in the vendors section goes away tomorrow, so if you want that scope for the $599 as advertised, you better jump on it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I jumped on it earlier this afternoon! I am going with the 20 moa rail or equivalent one piece rings/base.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshm28 View Post
    I jumped on it earlier this afternoon! I am going with the 20 moa rail or equivalent one piece rings/base.
    Good choice. Did you get the MilDot reticle, or the z-Plex?
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Mildot. Once I have the load worked up I'm going to order Kenton turrets.

Mildot. Once I have the load worked up I'm going to order Kenton turrets.
    I plan on doing the same.

Basic Member
    Well my scope rings and base came in so I was able to get everything put together over the past 48 hours. The barrel has been headspaced and the scope was boresighted. I picked up a 100 count of Lapua brass and some IMR4831 powder, so I will hopefully get some handloads worked up sometime today. Range report by next weekend, hopefully.

Basic Member
    That is a great looking rifle. Thanks for sharing the build process. What is the availability of brass and projectiles for that caliber?

Basic Member
    Lapua brass is in stock pretty much everywhere. I think I paid $128 for a 100. Everything I read says that I can get 6+ reloads out of one pice of brass. 6.5 bullets are a little bit harder to find right now. Especially Bergers.

Build Started

Bullets.com has 140gr Hunting VLDs in stock...Hybrids at Powder Valley, Bullets, Third Gen, etc.

One good lookin rifle!

Basic Member
    Josh, you did an excellent job on your build, from the stock to your scope selection, doesn't look like you could have done better! plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. good shooting.

Bruce

Basic Member
    Very nice! What did you end with for weight? My carry rifle was doing good till I put a kick eez magnum pad on. Really considering the waffled pachmayr next time around.

Basic Member
    Thanks fi comments guys. The weight needed up being 10.5lbs. I was hoping to keep it under 10 but its still not to bad.

Basic Member
    Range report time!

Lapua Brass
    48.5 grains of IMR 4381
    140 grain SSTs ( .520BC)

100 yards, light crosswind

Range report time!

Lapua Brass
    48.5 grains of IMR 4381
    140 grain SSTs ( .520BC)

100 yards, light crosswind
    Very, very nice! Ya got a shooter! Did you chronograph the loads?