Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 FP EGW 20 moa mount?

leutherv

Savage 10 FP EGW 20 moa mount?

I have a Savage 10FP in .308 and the EGW 20 moa mount. Scope is a Millet TRS-1. I have the Burris XTR medium rings. There is a bit of a gap between the scope objective and the barrel. Just wondering if the standard or low rings would work with this setup and still have room for the lens cover, even with the 3" extension.

Thanks,
    Donald

Re: Savage 10 FP EGW 20 moa mount?

Go to Burris' website, and they have a chart for ring heights. Compare the difference in height of the rings you have to the rings you wanna get, then take the difference measurement and see if you have that amount of clearance on your gun now. If so then it'll work.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

gunman_7

Have the same set up, you can run up to a 56mm bell on your scope with any EGW base (0MOA or 20) and LOW XTR rings, med's are to high... Lows work well without being to close...

Basic Member

Have to agree w gunman. I have XTR med height rings w plenty of room to spare. Used them cause they were lying around and I don't mind the height.

bodywerks

Yes you can use the XTR low rings. I am using the same base, same scope, but with Warne steel low rings. still 3/16" to spare.

3fingervic

I have a 110 FCP-K, EGW 20 MOA base, and Burris XTR's (low). For a scope I have a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50. Here are some pics with my sun shield on.

http://gallery.me.com/pvfrenchies#100031

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingervic
    I have a 110 FCP-K, EGW 20 MOA base, and Burris XTR's (low). For a scope I have a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50. Here are some pics with my sun shield on.

Some one broke your gun and then put it back together backwards. The bolt is on the wrong side.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

3fingervic

The sad thing is, it cost me an extra $200 to have them "break it". ;D

BrettSass844

I have the same setup. I only have a hundred rounds through it so far. How do you guys like the millet scope? So far it seems good for what I need!

joseph

Your rings are on backwards also. ::)

joseph

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingervic

Some one broke your gun and then put it back together backwards. The bolt is on the wrong side.
    Is your Vortex a 1" tube or 30mm? I am getting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm which is a 30mm tube. Will the low rings work for me? I also have a very thick barrel with a straight taper.

joseph

3fingervic

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I used the low Burris XTR's. You should be fine with the low rings IMO.

joseph

I just ordered the medium Burris Tactical Extreme 30mm rings from SWFA. The scope that I have on it now has a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. It is atop a EGW 20 MOA with 1" high rings. With this set up the bottom of the objective is 3/4" above the barrel. If I used the 1/4" rings the scope would almost touch the barrel and I do not think I could fit lens cover on it. With the 1/2" rings this leaves me 1/4" above the barrel. I do need to mention that I have a heavy barrel with a straight taper to the muzzle.

"Aim small miss small", ;D

joseph

3fingervic

I had a setup before that was so close, that I had to notch out the bottom of my cover. Let's see the pics when you get it set up.

EGW1

Hello All,

The Std Tactical rail is .400 from the top of the receiver ring to the top of the rail.

We recently introducted the HD 7075 T6 Rails that are .350, almost 1/16 lower if that helps.

Not sure the height of the rings you mention? we offer our HD rings and our Practical rings.
    from the center of the scope to the top of the rail is .850 using a 30mm tube.
    The Practical rings are 59.99 and of course made in our shop here in Quakertown Pa.

Thank you Very much for all the support on here.

as an aside, the EDGE mounts should be back from Anodize friday if anyone is looking.

best regards,
    geo

www.egw-guns.com

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

Looks right err...I mean correct to me!!! ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

If you are going to get an EGW mount make sure you buy better quality screws and throw the ones that come with the base away. I stripped out the heads on 3 of 8 trying to take my 20 MOA bases off my SA and LA trying to swap barrels. Now I have to try to get the screws out and that is going to cost me$$$! The bases themselves are great, but the screws will put the screws to you!

firemachine69

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952154000P

Unless you torqued your base like a gorilla, that screw-out set should be all you'll ever need. I speak from experience here. :D

But in all seriousness, the screws are junk. I just ordered a new steel base from EGW, and I'm starting to wonder if not getting two-three spare sets was a mistake...

joseph

I just did this with my 30 mm scope with a 50mm objective. Hope this helps.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=533299

joseph

EGW1

Our screws are made from 4037 steel. cold formed into shape, than the thread is rolled which makes a stronger thread.
    They are heat treated at Woller heat treat to 40-43 RC thant black anodized.

We recomend that they be torqued to 20 inch lbs.

We destructive test parts, using 3 different torque wrenches for reference and a hex driver that fits the head the heads strip out at averate of 43 inch lbs. That is over 2x the recomended torque. The driver is fresh, not rounded out and we were using 4 torque wrenches. We pulled one that gave a higher number so the average with the high thrown out is 43.

If you installed our mount and the screw stripped email us egw6@pil.net and we will send a set out to you.

Torx screws will take a higher inch lbs before they strip, around 53 inch lbs at which point the driver twists off.

Are you guys using torque wrenches?

thank you
    geo

www.egw-guns.com

DGD6MM

I'll remember you said that, for if and when I strip mine out. I will try my best not to over torque them. :D

pa hog

Never had a problem with EGW's Factory Screws, but they will give you Torxs screws for a small fee, if you order the bases directly from them.

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by EGW1

Our screws are made from 4037 steel. cold formed into shape, than the thread is rolled which makes a stronger thread.
    They are heat treated at Woller heat treat to 40-43 RC thant black anodized.

We recomend that they be torqued to 20 inch lbs.

We destructive test parts, using 3 different torque wrenches for reference and a hex driver that fits the head the heads strip out at averate of 43 inch lbs. That is over 2x the recomended torque. The driver is fresh, not rounded out and we were using 4 torque wrenches. We pulled one that gave a higher number so the average with the high thrown out is 43.

If you installed our mount and the screw stripped email us egw6@pil.net and we will send a set out to you.

Torx screws will take a higher inch lbs before they strip, around 53 inch lbs at which point the driver twists off.

Are you guys using torque wrenches?

thank you
    geo

www.egw-guns.com

Does this mean you'll send me a spare set for the ones I killed? I had them installed by my gunsmith, I watched him do it with the torque ratchet. When I went to take them out, I still had 2 out of 4 stripped.

For the record, I'm the poor Canuck who wanted a left-hand-port steel base.

Basic Member

I did use the Wheeler Fat Wrench(all I have in the way of a torque wrench) on the second one. I just used the provided allen wrench on the first try. I took both sets of screws out on the same night while attempting to switch barrels. I can't imagine why 3 of the 8 would round out when the others didn't. I will pass on the kind offer to replace my screws (but thanks though) and just get a set of Torx screws from my local gunsmith. Thanks also to firemachine69!!! That got me back in the game for only $16 and I can use it all around the house!

firemachine69

319:

I have NO idea how I lived without it. It looks so much like a late-night informercial sham, but it truly DOES work! ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast