Thread: First Post! Question for first custom build.

Easton77

Question First Post! Question for first custom build.

I have a savage model 110 30-06 with a synthetic stock. I have zero work done to except for a tasco 3-9x40 pronghorn scope that was already on it when the rifle was given to me by my grandfather. I am not sure if there is an accutrigger installed or not. The rifle's main use will be mostly target shooting and possibly one day used for hunting. Any minor or major suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Well if theres a sliding blade in the middle of the trigger its an accutrigger. I would have the action timed and trued by Sharp Shooter Supply and the comp trigger , a good solid stock and a criterion or mcgowen barrel and my personal opinion is to check out the sightron scopes good glass and track true.

For a hunting rifle I like the boyds stocks, I like the Bell and carlson medalists for target use and a little hunting

Welcome to the site , theres great info and awesome people here.

I would say, let the rifle tell you what it needs. Most Savages will shoot 1" at 100yds right out of the box. Take her to the range and let her talk to you.

Don't shoot very fast. The 30-06 burns a fair amount of powder and those sporter contoured barrels tend to heat quickly. A couple of minutes between shots will help keep the barrel cool and give you better barrel life and better accuracy. Also, don't go crazy scrubbing out the bore. Most factory Savage barrels like it dirty. Only do a good cleaning once accuracy falls off, then shoot 4 or 5 shots to dirty the ol' girl back up and go right back to your shooting. You will probably be able to shoot 100+ shots before accuracy falls off but each barrel is different so yours may or may not take/last that long.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Easton77
    Thanks for the info. It is just a little overwhelming....I am not sure where to start haha. Like bootmcguire said above, Ill just have to take it to the range and see whats going on.

The first thing you should consider is getting a good scope on it.The pronghorn was a 40.00 scope several years ago.They work but repeatability just isnt there.I would go with at least an sII sightron or a V2 leupold ,bushnell 4200,nikon buckmaster at least.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Shoot the rifle first to see how it handles for you. The Tasco scope is probably going to go belly up on you when you least want it to so I would replace that first with better quality glass. If your not a hand loader, your going to have to try different brands of ammunition to see what your rifle like the best and stick with that. If you've got the money, there's a boatload of things you can do to the rifle for precision shooting but for now, I would get familiar with the rifle before changing anything but the scope.