Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sent My 17wsm back to Savage...

rona

Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    Sent mine back about the sane time 3/30. Called yesterday and was also told to wait another 2-3 weeks. After I mentioned that this is what they told me 3 weeks ago the CSR stated that they did get some rifles in at that time but they didn't meet specs.

Ironic that when I bought mine it was the first one I could find in a 100 mile radius. They were selling as fast as the LGS's got them in. Now both models are prevalent. The sporter model was O.K. for me as I wanted a rifle that I didn't have to worry about scratching. After seeing how great the HB models look that many of you have assembled with the Boyds stocks I'm starting to think that's the way to go as well.
    Both models being prevalent probably is a sign more and more people are learning how much fun it is to have a rifle and no shells. To be quite honest the 204 is looking better all the time. At least you can reload them yourself.

Basic Member
    I was going to get the ss hb 17 WSM but I have decided to wait at least another year; quite frankly, with all the negative publicity I've been reading mostly on this forum, I'll be thinking twice before buying another Savage.

Basic Member
    too bad that Savage and Winchester are not reading this forum.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

DE_Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I was going to get the ss hb 17 WSM but I have decided to wait at least another year; quite frankly, with all the negative publicity I've been reading mostly on this forum, I'll be thinking twice before buying another Savage.
    I was also thinking of waiting but I had already purchased 1250 rounds of ammo and didn't have a rifle. So I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a SS HB for $350, once i replace the stock and other items, swap on one of my leupold's. I'll have a nice rifle with ammo under 1K. I've got 3x that in just a rifle alone with no ammo.

I will say that the ammo Winchester puts out is junk, but what do you want for $15 a box. If Hornady gets in the 17wsm game you can bet it won't be $15 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Shooter View Post
    I was also thinking of waiting but I had already purchased 1250 rounds of ammo and didn't have a rifle. So I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a SS HB for $350, once i replace the stock and other items, swap on one of my leupold's. I'll have a nice rifle with ammo under 1K. I've got 3x that in just a rifle alone with no ammo.

I will say that the ammo Winchester puts out is junk, but what do you want for $15 a box. If Hornady gets in the 17wsm game you can bet it won't be $15 a box.
    And I bet the Hornady ammo will not have splitting problems either!

Also I STILL don't have my rifle back from Savage! I plan on calling them....AGAIN... tomorrow!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Well I just got off the phone with Savage and was told my rifle was with an engineer and was being checked over to make sure it has no flaws/problems.
    He said the engineers were talking their time to make sure of this. He also told me it could be another 2 or 3 weeks before it is ready to ship!!! I told him that is what they told me 3 weeks ago and all he said they wanted to take their time to make sure it is correct before shipping it out...
    I wonder if they know the concept of time...Does 3 weeks really mean 3 months or better!!!???
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    Well I just got off the phone with Savage and was told my rifle was with an engineer and was being checked over to make sure it has no flaws/problems.
    He said the engineers were talking their time to make sure of this. He also told me it could be another 2 or 3 weeks before it is ready to ship!!! I told him that is what they told me 3 weeks ago and all he said they wanted to take their time to make sure it is correct before shipping it out...
    I wonder if they know the concept of time...Does 3 weeks really mean 3 months or better!!!???
    Having sent two B mags back because of problems I think they are taking time trying to make sure they send (good) ones back to the consumer. This whole B Mag business is bad enough but evidently they sent new rifles as replacements gambling that the quality control had tightened up. That didn't happen and now they are going all out to make sure they send good ones out. At this point with no ammo for them I try to put it out of my mind and go fishing instead.

Rainorshine
    Just got a replacement from Savage for my Sporter B-Mag sent in over 2 months ago. It came with a 3-shot test target of 1.03". I don't have enough ammo to do much shooting but was able to shoot a 1",3-shot group at 100yds. with 20 gr. ammo. Not so good with 25 gr., about 1.5". At this point I'm pretty happy. Ready for Winchester to crank out some more ammo!

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    Just got a replacement from Savage for my Sporter B-Mag sent in over 2 months ago. It came with a 3-shot test target of 1.03". I don't have enough ammo to do much shooting but was able to shoot a 1",3-shot group at 100yds. with 20 gr. ammo. Not so good with 25 gr., about 1.5". At this point I'm pretty happy. Ready for Winchester to crank out some more ammo!
    Sounds like you got a good one. My guess is it will improve the more you shoot it. Like you I will smile to see some ammo come down the pike.

Basic Member
    I hope it doesn't take 3 months everytime they just got my SS HB today on UPS. 3 months all the fun nice shooting time will be gone

Sounds promising...I sent mine in Late March! Maybe they will be sending it home soon!
    I'd be happy with 1.5 MOA compared to what it was shooting

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    I hope it doesn't take 3 months everytime they just got my SS HB today on UPS. 3 months all the fun nice shooting time will be gone
    Not sure what is worse sending it in and hoping to get a "good one" or finally get it and no shells to shoot it. Its really strange how shells seem available and reasonable at both the east and western states plus Florida but none to be found here in Minn.

Basic Member
    or in Iowa now we need a pal on the east or west coast that has plenty to buy more and sell/ship it to us :) I don't even look at gunbroker anymore, it just plain $%%$& me off

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    or in Iowa now we need a pal on the east or west coast that has plenty to buy more and sell/ship it to us :) I don't even look at gunbroker anymore, it just plain $%%$& me off
    I hear you there! If my blood pressure is low I look at Gunbroker and gauge goes right up. Looking back I could have bought a 204, reloading equipment and been having a lot of fun. Maybe spent a little more money but would have sure been in a better mood. I add up a ss version of the B-mag 389.00 plus over 200 for a finished fancy stock and that would buy a 204. Shells might be a lil more but I reload anyway so no large expense with basic reloading equip.
    The last I bought came from a fellow in RI who returned his 17 to the store for something else and advertised his stock of ammo for sale. He was very fair with the price and it ended up cheaper then local prices at the time. None of the local dealers have any idea when shells will be available. I truthfully believe a lot of the ammo is being bought right from the wholesaler by his friends and resold at places like Gun Broker.

I'm in the east. No .17 WSM to be found here.

Jim

Basic Member
    I finally saw and held a B-mag with the heavy ss barrel; what an unbelievably, pathetic, ridiculously cheap stock. I'm sure the Weatherby S2 synthetic stocks cost less than $10 more to make and it is about 1000 times nicer. There is no excuse for making such a pathetic stock. It's almost as though Savage wants to be the King of Ugly. And to get a Byod's stock up here in Canada cost about 50% more than what you can get if for in the US.

Basic Member
    Okay....make that "Boyd's" stock.....

Rainorshine
    The stock of the replacement B-Mag rifle Savage sent to me is stiffer and I think a little thicker in places than the stock of my original rifle but the forend still contacts the barrel. It has a slight curve just like the stock on the original so it looks like the barrel "leans" left. The CSR at Savage did state that the barrel was supposed to be free floating. Apparently this "warp" isn't causing too much of an adverse effect on grouping.

Basic Member
    Talked to Savage yesterday, the guy I talked to said they were shipping me a new rifle to my FFL, but did not have a ship date yet

Basic Member
    Sorry to say, there is no ammo to be had on the LEFT coast either. I have put in paid orders on 3 sites and have been waiting months for the ammo.

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by onegreatshot View Post
    Sorry to say, there is no ammo to be had on the LEFT coast either. I have put in paid orders on 3 sites and have been waiting months for the ammo.
    This is starting to look like two companys got together to pull a get rich quick scam with our gov's blessing. I was going to mention I read in another website that Savage laid off between 30 and 40 emplyees the first of the year and just laid off another 30 or 40 lately.
    In another note our local gun dealer said some ammo is getting down the pipeline. He had gotten 30 bricks of 22 mag last week and some of the price gougers are lowering their prices. I would suggest don't buy anything from the scalpers. Let them sit on it.

Well I called Savage.....AGAIN to check the status of my 17 and AGAIN the lady told me it would be another 3 weeks or more! She said they only get around 5 rifles a week to test and out of those 5 if only one passes the test then they can only ship that one out to the next customer in line!
    She also talked like the twist rate was the grouping problem and have now changed to a 1:8 twist on all the 17wsm.

I think they have had possession of my gun more then I have! Shipped it around the 31st of March.

Basic Member
    I am gonna call them again today myself to see if I get a better answer

Basic Member
    No better answer, they are also shutdown the first 2 weeks of July I was told. and I let them know about it, that there are a bunch of people that sent them in and are tired of waiting to get them back it does not take that long to test a rifle out to make sure it shoots right

Well it FINALLY came in today!
    They sent it back with a Bushnell 3-9 scope on it. I wished now I would of stepped up to the fat barrel after waiting this long for this one!

These are the test targets they sent back, I can only assume this is @ 50yrds they did not mark any distance down:

Group 1 : 0.59"

And another

Group 2 : 1.08"

Can not wait to see what it will do for me!!
    Last edited by fla9-40; 07-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast