Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sent My 17wsm back to Savage...

The above targets HAS to be at 50yrds or maybe 25! I tried mine out to 100yrds yesterday and the best that two different shooters could get was at BEST 4 MOA
    This was with 20 and 25 grain rounds.

I can only hope that with a couple more boxes down the tube it MIGHT get better!

I can say right now, this was money wasted, and a BIG disappointment of Savage!!!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Rainorshine
    In my conversation with Savage's CSR about what groups could be expected from B-Mags their answer was 1.5" at 100 yards. The replacement Sporter model rifle they sent me appears to do that. The target that Savage sent with it was a 3 shot, 1.03" group which I assumed was at 100 yds. I haven't had enough ammo and time to really test the replacement out but I have shot a few 3 shot groups better than 1.5" at 100 Yards with both 20 and 25 gr ammo with the 20 gr grouping the best. After reading a couple reviews where people improved their rifle's grouping by adding the Sims barrel de-resonator (on sale now at Cabelas for $10) I put one on my skinny B Mag and shot one 5 shot group at just over 1" with 20 gr ammo at 100 yards.

Fla9-40, I'm not sure if any of this helps but according to what Savage told me groups of 1.5" or tighter at 100 yards should be expected.

savagetoter
    Wow, sounds like you have had some serious issues. I am going to the range tomorrow, to test out the new Savage .17 HMR I bought. If it shoots as well as the ones I have heard about, then I will not even consider the .17 WSM.

Basic Member
    Everyone should be boycotting all Savage products until they do something about their WSM rifles, and if the fault lies with Winchester, then Savage should be pressuring Winchester to get their act together.

Basic Member
    e-mailed them again today, but the last time 2 weeks ago the lady said it would be the end of August before it might ship Not happy

jugchoke
    Well, I am waiting on two rifles, the heavy barrel B-mag, ordered a couple of weeks ago, and not yet even charged for.
    And the Franklin Armory, AR type platform, ordered two months ago and due in a couple weeks now.

At least, it seems that the ammo stream has started to fill up a bit here.
    I was worried that I would have one or both of the guns, but no ammo for a while.
    Been scoring some boxes pretty regularly now, the last two weeks.
    And building up a little stash, come on, guns get here!

Basic Member
    well here we are at the end of Sept and still no rifle or words on it (((( they have had it since June 2nd

Basic Member
    you can about bet somebody from Savage is watching this forum, you would at least think they would post once in awhile with updates on our rifles

You'd probably loose that bet, and even if there was someone watching I'm betting there's a company wide gag order in terms of commenting/posting anywhere online. Even emails from anyone at Savage usually come with a rather lengthy Confidentiality/Non-Disclosure statement at the end.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    you R probably right

Basic Member
    Join my boycott of Savage firearm products; when the sales drop to nothing, they'll listen.

Basic Member
    still no word on when my HB SS B-mag will ship out my patience is starting to wear a little thin

bremereric
    Buy another one?

Basic Member
    I really thought about that and Told Cynthia at savage that was what I was thinking about doing, asking for a refund and buying another
    but since they changed the twist to 1:8 I kinda want to wait

Well I have had a few more trips to the range with the B-Mag....and at 100yrds I can do as well with a shotgun as I can with this thing! There is NO way the test targets Savage sent back with my replacement is at 100yrds....maybe 25yrds at best or they got them mixed up with someone else's targets!

Here is my BEST target with the new gun:

I'm about to make it a tomato stake in my garden! I really hate to sale this to someone, knowing it will not shot no better then it does. I guess I'm stuck with it.
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    I really think savage puts these guns in a jig without a stock and test fires them. Very few rifles have been able to match the factory qualifying targets sent back with a returned rifle.

Basic Member
    Does anyone here know how to contact rimfirecentral ? I messed up trying to register and I cannot contact an administrator.

Does anyone here know how to contact rimfirecentral ?
    Willey I sent you a PM......

Well I took the B-Mag back to the range today to give it another chance. This is the replacement gun with the Tupperware stock that was about 95% floated.
    I did take some sandpaper and a dowel rod and made sure it was full floating.

I started off with 25gr rounds and the target looked exactly (or maybe even worse) like the one above.
    So I switched to 20gr and the gun seemed to like them better. The target was like the bottom half of the above target… a little over about 1.750MOA.
    I wished now I would have saved the target!

Maybe more rounds down the barrel and maybe a Boyd’s stock and it might be a shooter one day! I just hate to spend $100 more dollars on this thing to make it what it should have been from the factory!

Rainorshine
    Seems like my replacement B Mag sporter has lost the accuracy I thought it had. When I received it from Savage last July it was shooting 1-1/2" groups with 20 gr. and 2 - 2-1/2 " with 25 gr ammo. I added a Sims resonator and that brought the 20 gr. groups down to close to 1" at 100 yds. I haven't shot it since then until recently. Now the 20 gr. is 3+ inches, Sims or no Sims, and the 25 gr. is about where it was. Maybe it doesn't like the cold weather?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    Seems like my replacement B Mag sporter has lost the accuracy I thought it had. When I received it from Savage last July it was shooting 1-1/2" groups with 20 gr. and 2 - 2-1/2 " with 25 gr ammo. I added a Sims resonator and that brought the 20 gr. groups down to close to 1" at 100 yds. I haven't shot it since then until recently. Now the 20 gr. is 3+ inches, Sims or no Sims, and the 25 gr. is about where it was. Maybe it doesn't like the cold weather?
    Are you shooting the same lot of ammo as last july ? Ammo varys a bit from lot to lot. I Have the same issues with my original sporter barreled Bmag. At one point it shot great then it went down hill and I have not been able to correct.
    I replaced it with a HB version and have had very good consistent results. There is just something weird about that skinny barrel. The heating of the barrel and harmonics just don't work well.

Rainorshine
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    Are you shooting the same lot of ammo as last july ? Ammo varys a bit from lot to lot. I Have the same issues with my original sporter barreled Bmag. At one point it shot great then it went down hill and I have not been able to correct.
    I replaced it with a HB version and have had very good consistent results. There is just something weird about that skinny barrel. The heating of the barrel and harmonics just don't work well.
    Yes, I only had a few rounds left from July but they wouldn't group either. I remember you went through a lot with your origal B Mag. Glad the HB is working out for you. I'll keep working with this rifle - hopefully not making it any worse. Thanks for you input!

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but....

Well I FINALLY got my B-Mag to shoot half way decent groups @ 100yrds! I found some of the American Eagle 20gr at our local Bass Pro and decided to give them a try...

The pic I posted above was the last time I had shot it and was using the Winchester 20 and 25gr.
    Here is the American Eagle (obviously the "X" out holes are from another rifle ):

No more Winchesters for this rifle!

I might just get another stock for it now!!

Compare this to this post: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...l=1#post285291
    Last edited by fla9-40; 05-15-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123