Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sent My 17wsm back to Savage...

Sent My 17wsm back to Savage...

Well I sent my 17wsm back to Savage 2 weeks ago..... Called them Wednesday of this week to check on if they had fixed it yet and was told by the nice lady that are going to replace it with a new one! She said it would ship in about a week, they had to test it first before it shipped out to me.

I ask what the problem was, and she said the work order did not list the reason why they are replacing it.

Maybe they will send one of them bull barrel models!!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Sniper Steve
    Tell her you want a heavy barrel and will pay for the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Steve View Post
    Tell her you want a heavy barrel and will pay for the difference!

I think I will call her Monday and make that offer....
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Crockett
    It's a $50 check or a # to call for payment and a copy of your LGS's FFL is what you will need to get an upgrade.

Yep called them today and it is $50 and a copy of my FFL....and then wait AT THE VERY least 3mo just for them to get a run made!
    She said she happen to check on the SS bull's last week and was told by production there 3 months out!

Just my luck!

Crockett
    We can only hope that they make them even better by then!

Basic Member
    I think I'd still do it. Wait and get the better model.

n4ue
    I have the original BMag and recently picked up the SS bull. There is NO comparison between them. The SS (which I polished) shoots like a target rifle.
    I'd use the original for a tent stake, but I doubt if it would even work for that!!! ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    Beaver Dam, Wi. 8 mi from the biggest cattail marsh in the US
    I had an issue with a model 12 in a .22-250 that was bad. They told me that they would also replace my rifle with a new one. I would have to wait (about a month) for the next run. I begged and pleaded with them 'cause hunting season was approaching. They did tell me that they would "walk" my rifle assembly on a special assy. line.
    Be NICE and ask if they will do that for you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    i have the original bmag and recently picked up the ss bull. There is no comparison between them. The ss (which i polished) shoots like a target rifle.
    I'd use the original for a tent stake, but i doubt if it would even work for that!!! Ha ha

ron
    ditto !

Basic Member
    Traded off my light barreled BMag for a SS heavy barreled model. Cleaned it and lapped the barrel a fair amount with JB. Took it out today and with the 25gr loads shot a 3/4 in group. Gonna do it again tonight and try the 20gr loads tomorrow.

Did I mention that I hate the bolt on this rifle. I lapped it some too and put some high quality grease on the locking lugs and it still closes like an old rusty gate. I am thinking about stoning the locking lugs on this beast.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

n4ue
    I put the Glades handle on both BMags and the additional leverage makes a huge difference......
    One thing...I have large hands and had to bend the bolt slightly forward, otherwise, there wasn't much room to grip the stock....
    Very well made. I even had them make the last one 'in the raw', for the polished SS rifle. GREAT company to deal with!!!

ron

Basic Member
    Has anyone tried stoning the locking lugs on one of these.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    Shot it again today and the first group was 5 shots with the 25gr bullets and it came in under 1/2 in. After that I shot a one inch group with the 20's and then it went downhill like you can't believe. the last two groups with both loads were close to 2 in.

Basic Member
    That's with your heavy barrel SS ??

Basic Member
    Wasn't the NRAAM just held recently? Hopefully Savage customers inundated the Savage booth with questions about what is going on at Savage recently with so many complaints about Savage products, not just the 17 WSM. I think the customers deserve an explanation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave View Post
    That's with your heavy barrel SS ??
    Yes. I have been trying to get back to the range but the *&^$#%$wind will not let up here so I am just waiting for it to die down to run another batch of ammo thru. I will report my findings later.

MrMarty51
    I will be watching this thread.

Basic Member
    Watching for??

Basic Member
    Went to the range. Finally some calm conditions. Very strange results. Tried both weight bullets today and neither shot under 1.5 in @ 100yds.

HOWEVER I wore out the rabbit steel at 200yds and put 5 in a 6in gong at 300yds. The 20grainers were crazy flat shooting.

.................It's OK I don't believe it either and I was there.
    Last edited by Rooster 50; 05-03-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Update on my 17 sent back to Savage.....

I guess I should of asked for a heavy barrel replacement, I still do not have my replacement rifle back from Savage!!! I called last week and they said it would be ANOTHER 2 to 3 weeks before it would be tested and shipped!!!

Hope to get it back soon...They have had it now since 3/26

Basic Member
    I would call them and pay the $50 extra to get the heavy barrel replacement :)

rona
    X 2 on spending the extra 50.00 for the heavy barrel

Basic Member
    I just took mine and traded it off. Lost about $100 and called it a win. So far I like the HB but am waiting to put it in a Boyds to see what it will really do.

Sorry for all your trouble.

Rainorshine
    Sent mine back about the sane time 3/30. Called yesterday and was also told to wait another 2-3 weeks. After I mentioned that this is what they told me 3 weeks ago the CSR stated that they did get some rifles in at that time but they didn't meet specs.

Ironic that when I bought mine it was the first one I could find in a 100 mile radius. They were selling as fast as the LGS's got them in. Now both models are prevalent. The sporter model was O.K. for me as I wanted a rifle that I didn't have to worry about scratching. After seeing how great the HB models look that many of you have assembled with the Boyds stocks I'm starting to think that's the way to go as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast