Thread: Scope selection for Savage Striker

rlpointer

Scope selection for Savage Striker

I have just recenly purchased a Savage Striker 510 chambered in a 22-250. I am unsure about what scope would be a good application for this.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Richard

tyler.woodard04
    You doing rifle or pistol scope? I have three with rifle and one with pistol scope.

rlpointer
    Tyler I really don't know but looking at the fact you have 3 rifle and 1 pistol scope I am leaning that way. I was afraid there wasn't enough eye relief using a rifle scope.

tyler.woodard04
    Head over to handgun hunter magazine and or specialty pistols and do some research. Great people at both forums. There are some tips to using a rifle scope on them. First is set up the scope as far rear as you can. Second is do not shoot with a full field of view unless you prove to yourself you will not get smacked in the eye. Two of mine I'm comfortable shooting full field after much practisce. Those are 223 and 6brx. The other is a 7wsm that I can get close but not quite. Now these all have adjustable objectives so you set to parralax free and it does not matter if you are perfect behind the scope. I've made shots to 630 on chucks using this method. These guns all are in rear grip stocks with brakes also but it can be done in center grips and with 22-250 no brake should be doable as well.

Rifle scope if you are mainly shooting paper. I have had a couple of pistol scopes and could not get use to them. Rifle scope also has way more options. All of my striker barrels are braked too.

Basic Member
    If you're new to shooting the specialty pistols I would recommend a handgun scope. The Burris and Leupold models are all really good. It's easy to get "kissed" by a rifle scope until you get a feel for the gun. If you have a muzzle brake it's not a big issue with the smaller chamberings. I have a VX-3 6.5-20x50 on an unbraked 284 Win, but that's about as big as I'd go with a rifle scope on an unbraked barrel.

I typically run rifle scopes on mine. I've used various Mk 4s, VX-3s, Sightron SIII, Weaver, Nikons scopes on the Strikers. The Leupolds and Sightrons work best for me. The Nikon Monarch worked well but the eye relief was a little finicky for me.

Congrats on the new pistol!

Andrew

Basic Member
    Burris makes a 3X12 power pistol scope that would work well for your caliber because of your ballistics. Amazon has them for about $361 and that's a very good price for a good pistol scope. I have the 2X7 on my 260 Rem. Striker and really like it a lot.

Rupe
    I use a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 sf rifle scope on my mid grip Striker and use it with .308win., .243win., .270 win., and will be using it on a 7mm08 once I shorten it. The only one with a brake is the. 308. When hunting deer and Elk I use a 2-7 x handgun scope but
    for everything else I use the rifle scope. Takes to long to get a shot off with.the rifle scope. I think starting out you should go with a handgun scope. Burris makes a good one.

Rupe

Basic Member
    I'm looking for the old vortex 2 x 7 to try. The same nikon was hard to see through unless you got your head adjusted just right. Don't guess a larger tube is made in an EER? I also need a two piece base that the back one doesn't hang forward over the ejection port. Seen them but don't know what brand.