Thread: Compressed loads

Luke45

Compressed loads

With slow burning extruded powder, how compressed can you go before there are negative effects if any? I've had lots of lightly compressed loads but just curious since I'm at max charge with my 280ai with h1000, and it's slightly compressed but with zero pressure signs, wondering how compressed you can cram powder before there are negative effects such as higher extreame spreads? (assuming you stay below max pressure)

My current load- 64gr h1000
    With 140 Berger vld, chronoed at 3050 fps

Hodgton website says this load is only at 58,700 psi

Will
    Cramming more powder in have ill effects?

Basic Member
    Luke, only your particular rig can tell you where the limits are. And the only way to find out, particularly when you are approaching the maximum recommended load, is to creep up on it, about .1 or .2 grains at a time. At the first sign of pressure, you back off a couple of tenths and tell yourself that you've discovered the limit for that particular loading and firearm. The only ill effects of cramming more powder into your cases is that it accelerates erosion of the throat and barrel. The larger the load, the higher the chamber pressure; the higher the chamber pressure, the more heat you create; the more heat your loads create, the faster they will erode the throat and barrel. What you need to ask yourself is: am I chasing accuracy or MV? IMHO, accuracy ALWAYS trumps MV.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    Luke, only your particular rig can tell you where the limits are. And the only way to find out, particularly when you are approaching the maximum recommended load, is to creep up on it, about .1 or .2 grains at a time. At the first sign of pressure, you back off a couple of tenths and tell yourself that you've discovered the limit for that particular loading and firearm. The only ill effects of cramming more powder into your cases is that it accelerates erosion of the throat and barrel. The larger the load, the higher the chamber pressure; the higher the chamber pressure, the more heat you create; the more heat your loads create, the faster they will erode the throat and barrel. What you need to ask yourself is: am I chasing accuracy or MV? IMHO, accuracy ALWAYS trumps MV.
    Thanks for the info! This load has actually gotten more accurate the more powder I've crammed In it. That's the reason why I'm considering putting even more
    It than published loads say. I'll need to just get
    A chrono out and start testing!

Patch700
    Are you using a drop tube to get the charges into the cases? If not then chances are you are leaving a whole neck portion of room so to speak on the table... Try a 6" drop tube with your current load and see what you wind up with... If your using a 6" go to a 12".

Seating bullets and hearing the crunch of powder will wreak havoc on your seating depths in my experience.

Basic Member
    You can also use vibration to settle the powder quite a bit. I think its Scope-eye who runs a bench grinder on the table to do this. I simply tap the brass a few times with the powder pan after dropping it in. According to Quick Load I have run up to 110% full without predicting (or experiencing) high pressure for low bulk density IMR4064. As said, creep up on the load for safety.

Basic Member
    Drop tube and you will be amazed at how much more room you have in your case!

Luke45
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I usually just dump the powder in a funnel and tap it a few times. So what height drop tube would you reccomend? And I may try the vibration as well. It's more of a curiosity thing at this point, gotta test it out!

Another way of getting more powder into the case, is not dumping it in the funnel, for lack of a better turn if you "sprinkle" it slowly, you will notice a big difference on how much it settles in the case, and you be able to get more powder volume into the same case.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Mike Vegas
    The worse I did on the compressed load within the load data specs is, I pushed the primer out :D

Luke45
    Thanks a bunch scope eye and mike, will definity try it out! I'm ignorant to compresse loads so all the advice is great

Basic Member
    Please remember, though, Luke45, that your safety, and the safety of those folks around you when you pull the trigger on one of the compressed loads is the most important thing for you to consider! Shooting a hot load that winds up maiming you or someone at the next table at the shooting range is totally irresponsible! Please explore this area of reloading with great caution! There really is a reason that there are published guidelines with recommended maximum loads to give us all some guidance.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    Please remember, though, Luke45, that your safety, and the safety of those folks around you when you pull the trigger on one of the compressed loads is the most important thing for you to consider! Shooting a hot load that winds up maiming you or someone at the next table at the shooting range is totally irresponsible! Please explore this area of reloading with great caution! There really is a reason that there are published guidelines with recommended maximum loads to give us all some guidance.
    Defintly ! This load is a relatively light bullet With a slow burning powder and the pressure is way below Sami max even with the maximum load. So I'll work my way up carefully :)

A compressed load does not necessarily mean a hot load, I just find it to be a more efficient load, If I load a case and it's hit it's max and is only 90% full, then I am on to a slower powder, and if that slower powder hits it's max and I am only at 95%, I will keep going to slower powders until I reach 100% case capacity, or more with a slight compression, and that is how I have always found my max velocity and tightest grouping, it does it every time without fail.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    A compressed load does not necessarily mean a hot load, I just find it to be a more efficient load, If I load a case and it's hit it's max and is only 90% full, then I am on to a slower powder, and if that slower powder hits it's max and I am only at 95%, I will keep going to slower powders until I reach 100% case capacity, or more with a slight compression, and that is how I have always found my max velocity and tightest grouping, it does it every time without fail.

Dean
    Dean I always like your insight

Basic Member
    Go for it, guys! I'll continue to approach the issue very carefully (timidly, if you will).

Basic Member
    The biggest problem with compressed loads is sometimes the bullets get pushed back out, and /or seating depth and concentricity will be inconsistent.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    A 6" drop tube, gentle tapping on the case while filling it, and slowly dumping the powder in will help a lot. I usually have better luck with 95-100% capacity loads. A little compression is great as long as the neck tension is right

Andrew

thru the yrs Ive infact found higher MV to give me great results...but Ive also found other lighter charge weights sometimes with the same propellant to give me the same consistant/accurate results.takes some time to find the other node, but its indeed there.
    Ive since gone with less MV, added 20 MOA bases to all my rigs, and am hitting from 100yds out to 1200 with no problems other than the wind causing greef..... less wear and tear on the shoulder and the barrel.
    Reloading is so subjective.
    140gr pill going 3K fps sounds abit on the hot side to me...but then again...who am I to talk....... I found a nice and tight load launching a 175gr SMK @ 2865..........after about 200 rds thru the tube?.....I quickly developed the need for more research. My shoulder defently agree,d
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Luke45, you asked about a portable reloading bench, and this is what I use:
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...loading-bench/
    Just check with your range officer before you set everything up! They're generally OK with the idea, but you need to make sure you set up well out of the way of shooters walking around the shooting bench area.