Thread: 17 or 22 to teach my kids

17 or 22 to teach my kids

Well its time to upgrade my oldest from her red ryder! I, like most of you started with a 22. When I turned 9 my dad gave me his Ruger 10/22,taught me the basics, handed me a brick of .22's, pointed to the woods and said go have fun! I have been hooked on guns ever since lol. Now days even though its getting better 22's are still a pain to find. I personally have switched over to 17hmr for all my plinking duties and love that caliber! So I am leaning towards getting another 93r17 in some form to teach my kids. That way we can share mags and ammo. The problem is that my girls are tiny physically so something like the Rascal might fit them better. I can not seem to find a 93r17 that comes with a youth sized stock. I thought about ordering a boyds and cutting down the length of pull and saving the pieces to reattach as they grow.

Sorry for the ramble I am just trying to bounce ideas off you guys, Thanks.

n4ue
    03, don't give up on the .22. I have 2 handguns and 3 rifles chambered for .17 HMR and they shoot shoot fantastic. I use the Savage .17s to teach new shooters / visitors to my buddy's farm. Perfect gun/cal for that. One thought that may or may not help with your decision....
    "reactive targets". I make them for our range. I have found that the HMR is about 75% effecting 'setting them off'. .22s won't. .223 and up, 100% effective.
    At some point (hopefully!!) the bottom feeders just trying to buy and flip the .22 ammo will reach the point of diminishing returns. If guys wouldn't buy 'flea market .22 ammo' or any other source over regular price, this nonsense would just stop.
    .22lr ammo is out there, ya just gotta look.
    I was secure enough in the future of .22 lr ammo to recently buy another bolt gun for this caliber. Not a Savage though, sorry folks.....

The ammo mfg all say they are going to 'greatly expand production in 2014' for our beloved .22lr.

Lastly think about this..... the current shortage of .22 mag is no doubt due to the huge increase in .17 HMR production. SAME case, just necked down.....

Just like when the .17 WSM first came out...Winchester speculated about ctgs based on the nail gun ctg in additional .22, .25 calibers.
    That is, until the crummy Savage BMag hit the shelves. I own one of the first, so I can honestly state that. I own >12 Savage rifles, and just love them.....
    I also own the new HB SS .17 WSM version and it shoots FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Due to the pricing, you may find that .17 WSM is the same price as .17 HMR (and cheaper than .22lr!!).
    Combine any of those 3 calibers (with a suitable stock) and you'll have an excellent teaching tool. However, when you see the kids eyes after they shoot a 2 liter water filled soda jug (or a reactive target) with the .17 WSM, and you'll know the answer. (new SS BMag)

ron

Sosalty
    Quiet 22 subsonic rifle to introduce shooting. The .17hmr to get into bench shooting and doping the wind. Hunter's Ed and Appleseed courses make an enjoyable family day!

JCalhoun
    Maybe consider one of the serious airguns on the market nowdays.

Or check to see if Boyds makes a youth stock for the Mark II and Model 93.

Basic Member
    I started mine with an air rifle since you don't need hearing protection. Then to the 22.

Basic Member
    I taught my four children and my four grand children with 22LR's, and I'd suggest you buy those gals of yours a Rascal and get on with the training! I have a couple of 17HMR's and have had my grand children shoot them as well. Their only comment was that they were louder! Youngsters don't really care that much; they want the quality time with an adult who's focused on them, and some bragging rights at school about how they whupped up on some tin cans/balloons/water bottles/clays with their dad or mom!

californialove
    My 3 year old is learning on a .22lr.. she cant get enough ...lol. . She is small and I thought she might be scared of the noise at first but I was wrong.. good luck and enjoy the time

Thanks for all the good advise as usual! I think the plan is for now to let her get more proficient with the Red ryder then towards the end of summer take her for a surprise car ride to pick our her new cricket! The next in line also gets her Red Ryder this summer so looks like dad will have a little different type of fun at the range this year.

bremereric
    Only cause of the shortage, right now I would go with the 17hmr, you can still find it for 15 bucks. 22lr is harder to find. m2c

In my neck of the woods, it's easier getting 17HMR than 22LR or 22 Mag which seems to be made from "unobtainium" for the last year. 17HMR is a great and accurate caliber with ammunition that seems to be available every where.

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    In my neck of the woods, it's easier getting 17HMR than 22LR or 22 Mag which seems to be made from "unobtainium" for the last year. 17HMR is a great and accurate caliber with ammunition that seems to be available every where.
    +1

I'd go for the .17HMR also, based strictly on ammo availability.
    But I'd also recommend it because it's a more versatile, longer range round, that will serve your girl well until she is ready for her first centerfire.

fartsinpublic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    I taught my four children and my four grand children with 22LR's, and I'd suggest you buy those gals of yours a Rascal and get on with the training!
    Yup.

There's also something to be said for learning with a round that isn't a flat shooter. Sure, a flat shooting round close-in will be "more accurate", or easier, (to some) but learning how to "fly" a round like the 22LR in wind, out to a 100 or so... That's a subtle challenge that teaches skills that carry on to center fires and farther distances.

Rascal = great teaching tool, and it can be upgraded for more competitive use, too: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=547334

my 6yr old son loves his. Just took the BSA red dot off his air rifle and moved it to the Rascal.

Just picked up her new wood stocked Rascal! Ill get some pics of her shooting when I give it to her on Friday. I had her shoulder one in a store a few weeks ago and its a perfect fit.

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    Just picked up her new wood stocked Rascal! Ill get some pics of her shooting when I give it to her on Friday. I had her shoulder one in a store a few weeks ago and its a perfect fit.
    You know, I actually shot one recently. It's a good shooter. And easy to use. With a longer stock I could even see myself using it for squirrel hunting. :)

fartsinpublic
    The Rascal also takes 22 Short, which is sometimes more available, and a beginner won't notice much of a difference. It still goes "bang" and puts a hole in the target.

Doug76
    Quote Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
    The Rascal also takes 22 Short, which is sometimes more available, and a beginner won't notice much of a difference. It still goes "bang" and puts a hole in the target.
    Yes, good point.