Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much MOA required

Westcliffe01

I think a half mm (.020") bore difference would be a blowup. Sorry, I made the reference to .243 in calculating the field of view when bore sighting with the bolt removed.

SKami
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill N Grill View Post
    I wonder if the bore diameter is too small. May have the right chamber but wrong bore. Having a 260 chamber and a 243 bore??
    I thought about that too, and I have a 243, should have held a bullet upto the barrel to see. The thing is, this isn't really a sight in problem per say, the rifle is not shooting where the bore is pointing, by alot-more than any scope has available in adjustment. I calculate something like 7 or 8 ft at 100 yrds. Savage will get it figured out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    I think a half mm (.020") bore difference would be a blowup.
    Oh, I dunno. I know a clown (don't ask!) who fired a 308 Win round in a 280 Imp chamber. Windage was perfect but elevation was about an inch low at 100. No damage to the rifle, the shooter's ego on the other hand ......

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill N Grill View Post
    I wonder if the bore diameter is too small. May have the right chamber but wrong bore. Having a 260 chamber and a 243 bore??
    I wondered almost the same thing....
    At this point?........almost anything is possible.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by SKami View Post
    I thought about that too, and I have a 243, should have held a bullet upto the barrel to see. The thing is, this isn't really a sight in problem per say, the rifle is not shooting where the bore is pointing, by alot-more than any scope has available in adjustment. I calculate something like 7 or 8 ft at 100 yrds. Savage will get it figured out.
    roger that.......
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Oh, I dunno. I know a clown (don't ask!) who fired a 308 Win round in a 280 Imp chamber. Windage was perfect but elevation was about an inch low at 100. No damage to the rifle, the shooter's ego on the other hand ......
    I bet the copper fouling on that shot was horrendous!

SKami
    Just to update, savage has replaced the barrel, it's being proof tested today should have it back in about a week. Incidentally I've purchased two more savages, a model 11 cabelas exclusive "prairie dog" in 22/250-Boyd's thumbhole pillar/bedded action shoots lights out! Model 110 action/shilen select match varmint barrel 1:8 twist, waiting on stock. Thanks to all, for help and advice!

SKami
    After the last post, I believed this rifle would be sent out by early June, it's now July 23rd-no rifle, been told for the last 6+ weeks their waiting on ammo! told them I'd send it to them! Finally got tired of the run around and told them to send it out anyway. Very poor service in my opinion, even Midway gets ammo in faster than this, I know I've been on their waiting list for .260 stuff and always get notified within a week or ten days for it.

Team Savage
    Shaprshooter nailed it! If it is that far off, you can tell with the naked eye. If the bore is drilled that far off or the threads are that crooked, you couldn't see through it to bore sight.

Bill

SKami
    I don't believe it was a "warped" barrel, as I feel the same-you could not look down the bore. I have a safe full of firearms, all sighted in, in three shots, all .75 moa or better with proper load work up and if I do my part. Savage reported the barrel was replaced, I assume they tested or checked something before they slapped a new barrel on it. 3 months is an awfully long time to wait for "ammo". And the thing is, Savage never contacted me, I called them for updates. I wasted a good bit of factory ammo trying to get this thing on paper, and honestly if I was at a public range, or shooting over concrete, it may have been very dangerous. I believe it was an out of round bore/muzzle or very bad crown. I don't have the tools to check these things, but obviously something was amiss, or Savage would not have told me the barrel was replaced. Suffice it to say, it's going to a gunsmith the minute I get it back, to be sure( on my dime!). I feel customer service is lacking at this point!

lucky_13
    I have a Model 12 260 LRP that has been at Savage now for over a month. I had a Vortex Viper PST on it with 64 MOA of side to side adjustment. With the knob turned as far as it would go, I was still 4 inches to the right at 100 yards. That's 36 inches right at mechanical zero. I was told today, after hearing that my rifle is still sitting at the range after 2 weeks, that Savage is waiting for ammo to come in before they can even test my rifle to see if what I say is accurate.

Don't worry about it. There are a bunch of bad LRPs out there right now. Particularly the .260s for some reason. Savage will make it right.

SKami
    I'm sure savage will, just a bit frustrated. Our season in northeast wisconsin is a short one (at least recently), half the summer is gone. I still think 3 months is a long time for warranty work.

Basic Member
    I have one scope thats off crazy like this but once you get it aligned optically centered (between it and the savage tilt) it.takes 30 moa to get there. Once thats done its.fine. travels full range and is repeatable. In my case its more.scope.then rifle. I'd send it in but don't want.to be without it.

SKami
    Scope or mounts were the first things I suspected, but tried three different scopes off of known rifles, and went through a number of different mounts-so I pretty much ruled those out. The thing is, I have a M11 Prarie Dog in 22/250 that shoots 3touching at 100yrds, and recently finished a M110LA, with a Shilen Select Match in .243 that also shoots lights out at 100 anyway-so although I'm not necessarily "brand loyal" I do have other Savage rifles that I'm quite pleased with, and am familiar with the possible causes. Hopefully if/when I get it back, it will be as good as the others.

SKami

So after a long wait, I finally got it back-slapped on the new Vortex I bought for it, bore sighted it, 3 shots-I'm doing load development, after some testing, settled on a load of H4350, 140grn AMAX's,2.87 COAL. Showing promise with less than 60 rounds thru it! I'm pretty happy!

SKami
    Incidentally, in review, magazine feeding is flawless so far, and I tried different COAL's, from 2.8 to jammed, about 2.925, all fit in the mag so there's plenty of wiggle room. This heavy barreled rifle has nearly no recoil as well-nice firearm!

lucky_13
    I'm glad to hear you got a shooter back. Mine is still at Savage. I was told today that the ammo will be here on Friday Per Andrew. They are going to test my rifle and re-barrel it. I know ammo is tough to get, but you would think Savage would test their target rifles at the very least before sending them out.

gotcha
    Testing costs money so they let the customer do it all :) NOT just a Savage problem these days.

Glad to hear the problem has been eliminated.

SKami
    quick update-using berger lrhpbt's, the first rifle I've ever been able to get to shoot these! And shoot them it does!

Basic Member
    Very very nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12