Hi everyone,
I recently joined this forum as I decided to purchase a savage rifle. I bought a Savage M12 LRP .260 rem. I'm having elevation issues. I've mounted two different scopes from rifles that shoot less than 1 MOA with my handloads, so I'm pretty sure they're good. I've used three different style bases - the first was Leupold two piece standard with standard super high rings, and a Burris Fullfield II E1 6-20x50mm (objective bell clearance was about 3/16ths of an inch), the second was a Blackhawk 20 MOA (shimmed under the rear mount pad to .040) and a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40mm, the third was an EGW 20 MOA base with Burris Signature Zee Rings, +.020 in the bottom of the back ring and -.020 in the bottom of the front ring, I mounted the Weaver on this one as well. Barrel clearances were always within 1/4 inch at the objective bell. The reason for all the MOA is that my first attempt at sighting in resulted in the bullet hitting the ground 25 yrds from the bench at a 50 yrd target, and no amount of scope adjustment would bring it up.
I'm not looking to get into any pissing contests, and love the looks of this rifle. I have contacted Savage, they are willing to look at it, but I wanted some input before I throw in the towel. The thing is, I've been shooting/reloading for nearly 40 years-I know how to sight in a rifle. Not tooting my own horn, just don't want a bunch of guys jumping down my throat for obvious things, just am stumped.
Another interesting thing, if you bore sight by looking down the barrel-you'd swear the rifle should be shooting 2 feet high. The closest I've come to POA is 4 inches below, with the blackhawk base, .040 in shims and scope bottomed out in adjustment. Any input would be great, although I believe this is a barrel issue, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I find it hard to believe that a rifle would need that much MOA to get it to shoot at 100 yards.
(ammo:Federal Vital Shock 120 BAllistic Tips/20 rounds thru the tube; Nosler Custom 140 Accubonds/6 round thru the tube)