Thread: Savage 99 303 question

outback

Savage 99 303 question

Guys this is my first post and I was just looking for a little information. I have a Savage 99 in 303 Has that crescent butt plate, serial number starts with 325. I just got this gun tired some reloads I did for it and shoots not to bad about a 2 inch group at 100 yards. My question is I want to use this gun as a carry in the woods gun, If I mount swivels on her for a sling will I devalue it at all ? Its in about 75% or better condition and while I would like to use it I have other rifles, just be kind of handy to pack over my shoulder.

Is that enough information with the serial number for any of you guys to date it and value it , I dont know how to post photos but could send them via email if anybody would like to see it or post the photos on this thread. I dont want t o sell it just be nice to know if its a junker or a hang on the wall for another 30 years.

Thanks in advance for help on it.

Basic Member
    Welcome! and Yes, you will compromise value by altering metal or wood, don't do it before photos help us evaluate it at least. Are there two or three more digits after the 325?

Two inch-100yd groups with factory ammo are great!

There is someone making leather slings that loop snuggly around the butt and forearm, no holes required, that would be your best investment.

Those crescent butt plates are pretty severe to hunt with, you might just try carrying it on nice days, to see if you like how it comes up on you.

No reason to think it belongs on a wall, 99's are pretty long lasting guns, have a gunsmith check it if you're concerned about proper function.
    Jeff518

rlott
    Don't drill it. This one works like a champ. http://www.accu-riser.com/products/Universal-Sling.html

Is the serial number 5 numbers or 6?
    Savage- "never say never".

emtrescue6
    You bought it to hunt with right? I it's truly a 75% gun now, hunting will continue to cause wear and tear...put the sling swivels in it and enjoy it....value isn't alway in $'s

outback
    Sorry Guys I have not been back on the board for a bit. Mad Dog the serial is 6 numbers and I was told its an early 99A featherweight around 85 years old. It looks just like Rlott's pic above without the peep sight.

rlott thats a nice sling thanks for the link I may go with something like that.

emtrescue6 yes I kind of have it to hunt with, I dont really hunt much just to put meat in the freezer and even using it I bet I dont put 5 rounds a year through her.

Thanks for the reply's .

emtrescue6
    Enjoy hunting with it....I have several 99's and still regularly hunt with a 99 in 308 and my daughter hunts with a 1950 99 in 250 Sav....I have many options in my safe to hunt with, I simply prefer to hunt with my 99's. They just feel right....carry right, shoot very well and never fail to put meat on the table.

That's a pretty uncommon model.

24" barrel?
    Savage- "never say never".