Thread: Caliber feedback on a few non Savage rifles, IE Mausers

Team Savage

Caliber feedback on a few non Savage rifles, IE Mausers

So this is what I have.

Savage long action control feed now set up as a 223 target gun.
    Have a magnum bolt and a 473 bolt head so can be converted to most anything.
    Have a few barrels.

Also have a short action savage and have 223 and 7mm-08 sporters barrel for it. Probably will live as a 223 varmint gun.

Then I got on a Mauser and military rifle buying binge and also ended up buying an 8mm mauser M24/47, a M24/47 action and a Yugo 98 and finally a K31 swiss to top it off.

K31 swiss (non numbers matching) has been chopped and Boyds restocked to a decent sporter 18.5" barred at about 8.5# with a scout scope but may switch scopes later to a normal scope. For those that dont know, straight pull rifle, 7.5x55 swiss, great trigger, very accurate out of the box. About like a 308 in terms of killing power.

Have a Mauser M24/47 8x57mm that I will leave as is in military dress with iron sights. Mint and stright bolt handle.

2nd Mauser is a M24/47 action and I bought parts for it to put together a hunting rifle.
    Bought a bent turk 1903 bolt so I can use M98 barrel with that, so just screw it on, torque it down and finish ream and index mark. Pretty easy really.
    That rifle now has a 8x57mm cut down 19.5" military barrel on it.
    Also - I have filed out the mag well so it will take a 9.3x63 round, IE 3.29 COL if I want to go that route.
    Have a 9.3x62 barrel coming from Mcgowen sometime soon.

3rd Mauser is a Yugo K98. Non numbers matching. Originally bought this to build the 9.3x62, but now I dont know.

I plan to use the K31 most of the time for an all around hunting rifle.

Originally before I bought the K31, I bought the M24/47 8mm to set up as a 8mm hunting rifle, but now that I have a K31, Dont know how much I will use it and I do have the other 8mm Mauser in military dress rifle.

9.3x62 will be a heavy hitter and can be built on the intermediate action or the long action, so now I find myself questioning what to do with the longer 98 action.

Or maybe I should set up the M24/47 as a 6.5x55 long range gun and set up the M98 as the heavy hitter.

Either way now I have too many to choose from.

Realistically I will be using the K31 and 9.3x62 more than anything else.

Leaves one oddball M24/47 that is totally finished in 8mm sitting in a laminated Boyds stock.

Thx

Oscarflytyer
    7.5 is awesome and way accurate. 8MM is a great caliber too. If you want a 6.5, go get a Swede. They are built like a singer sewing machine. VERY nice, light recoil and very accurate and fun to shoot.

Team Savage
    Yes I have heard that and maybe I should just do that.

The metal on this K31 rifle is some of the hardest I have ever come across. Had to cut down an action screw and LOL I went after it with a hack saw expecting normal metal and it did not even put a dent in it. Barrel metal is way hard too. Actually I would like to have this K31 in 6.5x55, but very expensive to have a barrel made.

Oscarflytyer
    OK - you are making me cry! I would say just go with a stock K31, a stock M38 or M96 Swede and a stock 98K.

If you want a really neat shoulder fired arty round, go get a Steyr '95 in 8x56R. My youngest son's fav!

Team Savage
    I already have a k31 and 3 mausers - LOL.
    All of the sudden I am a Mauser nut.
    Right now if I continue forward and leave the 2nd 24/47 as I built it and screw the 9.3x62 bbl ont he 98, I will have the K31-7.5x55, Mauser one, stock military 8x57mm, Sporter 24/47 8x57mm, M98 9.3x62.

And I am not modifying the actions of any of these rifles. Only barrels if non numbers matching.

This entire thing started with me ordering a Savage 9.3x62 barrel from McGowen, then I decided I would like to have a real control feed and something a bit bigger than 30 caliber so I ordered a M24/47 and figured it would arrive non numbers matching so no issue chopping it up and modifying it, but it showed up numbers matching and mint so I changed my plans and decided to hold onto the numbers matching parts and was going to restock it, new bent bolt and chopped 2nd barrel. That was under way and then the bent bolt I received was a Turk 1903 bolt for use with a regular 98 barrel on an intermediate and wont fit the M48 or 24/47 with a factory M48 or 24/47 barrel.

I then decided a proper place for the 9.3x62 barrel was on a mauser, not a Savage so I ordered a Yugo M98 to build that on and changed my order with Mcgowen. At that time I found a very cheap stripped 24/47 barreled action on gunbroker. Snagged that to keep the original 24/47 in military dress adn used the 2nd action, turk 1903 bolt etc to build the 8x57mm sporter.

That is where I am now.
    K31 sporter - boyds stock.
    M24/47 military dress and nice
    M24/47 8x57 sporter
    M98 action sittin hear waiting.

Here is what they look like.

M24/47 I am keeping as is

M24/47 sporter 19.5" barrel
    Will weigh about 8.5# with a light scope if I decide to drill the butt stock.

Since this photo I have polished the bolt.
    2nd photo is with an ADI non destructive scope base. There are several non destructive scope mount options for all of these.

This is a wet sanded permalyn sealer finish. Creates a nice matt finish. Doing the same to the K31 stock only trying out a minwax concoction.

K31 - Boyds stock and 8#-9oz. If you know how heavy these rifles are then you know the diet reduced it by about 2#. My goal with both these sporters was about 7.5# without a rail or scope. The 9.3x62 will be more like 9-9.5# total with scope.

K31 is nice in that is has a 6 round magazine.
    This is before finishing the stock and it is coming along nicely. Finished will be very dark gray.

Although I cut the barrel down it is non matching, and I can always have another barrel fitted if I want, but very expensive. It would be cheaper to buy another K31 rifle than have a barrel made.

Last edited by tammons; 04-16-2014 at 12:41 AM.