Thread: 6.5/300 win mag

6.5/300 win mag

Has anyone run this configuration. I wanted to do one a year or so ago but smith talked me out of it. Telling me that I wont see much of a diffrence vs a 264 win mag. I can't get the idea out of my head. I don't care if its an absolute nightmare on the barrel. I just like the idea of a fast 6.5 for a hunting rig it would take me a long time to burn up the barrel at 20-30 rounds a season. I would like to just neck down 300wm brass and run. Good idea or bad, any info would be great

Good idea, at one time it was used as a 1000 yard cartridge at camp perry. There are a few that still shot it. I am going to build a 6.5x300WSM this year for hunting and maybe some long range woodchuck hunting out east.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ok promising so far. Now I seen that a 6.5/300wm improved is running around .does any know what's all diffrent

the Ranger
    I just screwed on a .264WM barrel, haven't shot it yet.

certainly the 6.5/300 has enough extra powder capacity to make a difference, it becomes somewhat less efficient with powder. I guess it just depends on how you feel about forming your own brass. I say go for it!

I would like to try it I just have to find the reamers for it

Basic Member
    I had one for 3 seasons actually. Shot about 320 rounds thru it and killed 2 antelope 420 and 610 with it before sending it on its way.
    I had a 26" 8 tw Brux barrel on a lefty short Savage action. Used 270 wsm cases which duplicate 300 wsm cases except easier to neck down.
    We all have to touch the paint to see if its dry so go for it.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I had one for 3 seasons actually. Shot about 320 rounds thru it and killed 2 antelope 420 and 610 with it before sending it on its way.
    I had a 26" 8 tw Brux barrel on a lefty short Savage action. Used 270 wsm cases which duplicate 300 wsm cases except easier to neck down.
    We all have to touch the paint to see if its dry so go for it.
    he wants to use a .300Win mag parent case, not a WSM case.

Oscarflytyer
    Read your first sentence and immediately thought - Why? Just go with 264 Win Mag. Same basics in a factory round. Just my 2 cents. I had a 300 WM - and loved it, but parted ways after my shoulder rebuild. Plus overkill on my Southern whitetails...

Looked hard at a 264 WM (because I am a HUGE 6.5/264 bullet and terminal performance fan - 6.5x55 Swede), and ditched that after I did some research and determined that all I really was looking at was a 300 WM smack with a 6.5 bullet.

Yep I already have the 300 wm and a 264 wm. I just though It would be a fun thing to try. Plus I have plenty of 300 win mag brass and figured it would be diffrent but the way it looks it wont be happening . I have called every where trying to find the reamers for it and it doesnt look good. lots of places tool to make the 6.5 wsm but not the one im looking for.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarflytyer View Post
    Read your first sentence and immediately thought - Why? Just go with 264 Win Mag. Same basics in a factory round.
    for those who didn't know, the .264Win mag has the same case length as the .338Win mag, they are both shorter than the .300Win mag. thus 6.5/300WM would have a greater powder capacity than the .264WM.

I would go for it, "big surprise there" it holds 10gr more powder then a 264WM that sure comes in handy, I can't see why you couldn't send 140s at 3400 fps + at safe pressures with healthy doses of IMR7828, H1000, and RL25,

they have your reamer

http://www.reamerrentals.com/

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Good deal thanks scope eye

Bushwackr,

I'm another one running the Leopard(6.5X300wsm)
    A guy in Utah had it built, and discovered he had to do some inferring to load it.
    By case capacity, i'm essentially the same as the 264WM. So starting loads will get you started.

Pretty sure that receiver has the 223wssm barrel on it at the moment. So you could always buy my barrel and dies :-D
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    he wants to use a .300Win mag parent case, not a WSM case.
    Once again, he wants a 6.5/300 Winchester Magnum, not a 300 WSM based wildcat.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

As far as Dies go, you could use 6.5 WSM for the neck and shoulder, lee makes them and a gutted 300Win Mag for full length sizing, I am sure if you stepped it down to 7mm Rem Mag first, the brass would come out nicer, so it would be 308, to 284, then 264

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988...ProductFinding

I am using those exact same Dies for my 6.5 RUM, and what do you know they are in stock, as much as I am a wildcat fan I refuse to spend big bucks on custom dies, you don't have to, you can always make something work with off the shelf stuff, and if I can't for what ever reason, I am not building it.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

RiverSink
    I'm pretty sure McGowen has a 6.5-300wm reamer if you got one of there barrels.