Thread: 21 day alaska trip in June

21 day alaska trip in June

Me and the wife are going to Alaska in June for our 10 year Anniversary. 21 days driving around staying in Anchorage, Wassilla, Denali/Healy, Soldoltna, Homer, and Seward. I am putting together day packs for each of us. I have been hiking loacally here in Flat, Flat, did I say Flat Florida and I am back up to 35 lbs in my ruck for 4 miles. That said I don't want to pack anywhere near 35lbs in a day pack for our hikes. I am curious what you guys/gals that have been to alaska and done some hiking carry. I have a pair of Life straws from my Hunting pack I am bringing for oh crap worst case senario and of course a fire starter, First aid bag, emerg blanket, and canteen with metal cup. We will not be hiking very far on any of the trips, because my wife is just not down with a 6 hour trek. I think the furthest planned is 5 miles round trip and all but denali are known popular trails. Denali is prob going to be the one that I just say lets go there when i see something cool to hike to from the shuttle.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

the Ranger
    in that area I would include a handgun of atleast .44mag on your side, on maybe bear spray. I have driven through that area, but didn't do any hiking.

and don't forget to wear your little bells, so other hikers can identify the grizzly scat.

LOL! Yes .454 casull will be in the shoulder holster, but we are also grabbing some bear spray for each of us. As for the bells well I plan on making the wife wear one! I have been told the moose are much more dangerous then the bears in June.

Basic Member
    Optics, take good optics including a light tripod and a spotting scope.
    You do the hiking, ill let my eyes do mine looking for the sheep etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    LOL! Yes .454 casull will be in the shoulder holster, but we are also grabbing some bear spray for each of us. As for the bells well I plan on making the wife wear one! I have been told the moose are much more dangerous then the bears in June.
    You just need to be sure you can run faster than her and you'll be fine. If she runs past you on the trail, don't turn around to see why. You'll be dinner if you do.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You just need to be sure you can run faster than her and you'll be fine. If she runs past you on the trail, don't turn around to see why. You'll be dinner if you do.
    LOL! yes that is why she is wearing the "dinner" bell and I am not.

Basic Member
    And as mentioned take some bear spray. The bears like people flavored with it.