Thread: Jump to lands

tippet

Jump to lands

I have a Model 12 .223 with 1:9 twist. I want to try a Berger 52 or 55 Target bullet with H335. Rather than trying a wide range of jumps to lands, and wasting a lot of ammo, can someone give me decent range of base to ogive or jump to start with? Thanks!

Luke45
    Not sure if this is the proper way to do it, buts its always worked for me. Ive picked a powder i want to try, then i start 5 thou off lands mess with powder from min to max in incriments untill you find the best accuracy with a given powder charge while watching for pressure signs. Once i knwo what wieght of powder shows the most promise i then make a batch of shells at that weight powder at seating depth incriments just off the lands to 25 thou off or so, 5 shells each at each OAL . once you find the most accurate seating depth then i mess with the powder a bit higher or lower to see if i can further gain accuracy. this process usally takes 50 rounds or so. IT usually produces 1/2 moa after only 50 rounds fired or so for me with pretty much all my bolt guns, and if it didnt i would switch powder or bullet and try again. Again this probably isnt the proper way but its a quick easy way and only take 2 or 3 trips to the range. Is see posts about people doing ladder tests, ect which is probably more scientific way to do it though

tippet
    Thanks! It looks like you select and ladder the powder first, next select the bullet, and then determine jump. An interesting approach that deserves some thought.

Luke45
    Well I select the bullet first as well as the powder! Do I do this way different than most? I am a self taught reloader and started when I was 11 so I probably have some bad habits

Basic Member
    Luke,

I hope that its not too wrong..... I do it exactly the same way
    MOAON AABE

Luke45
    ive been doing it forever and it works for me so why change it!

Basic Member
    Me too!

I do things the same way except that over the years I have found the sweet spot in most of my rifles to be at 20-25 thou off the lands. I start there and adjust powder charges. I can generally find a great load pretty quickly.