Thread: Lightweight stock

kweeks10045

Lightweight stock

I have a Savage Model 110PL in 7 mag. It is a beautiful gun, but weighs a ton! The Monte Carlo stock with rosewood tip is very nice but heavy. I am re-barreling the rifle, and want some ideas for a stock. This is a left handed model stagger feed, with a metal bottom plate. I can be with a blind box magazine if necessary. I am going to have it painted tan with black webbing if it is not already. 22-24oz for a stock would be great, but I'm not sure if anyone has one this light. It will wear a magnum sporter weight barrel (#3.5 or so).

Basic Member

Re: Lightweight stock

The Stockade Hunting Sporter should be close to 24 oz. They will make it for your action and whichever magazine style you want.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html
    Stevens 200, .260/ Sin Arms Brux #7, 24"/ Stockade Woodchuck/ Rifle Basix SAV1/ Nikon Buckmaster 4x-14x-40mm

Team Savage

A Savage plastic stock is going to be the lightest you'll find at around 22 to 24 oz. A Savage birchwood stock with walnut finish only weighs a few ounces more. I went with the Stockade Hunter (28 oz) with the blind magazine. Forget a stock with the drop box magazine and hinged floorplate hardwear, since it will add about 9 oz to the overall weight of the rifle verses the blind magazine. Look at barrel contour and length to reduce the most weight. My hunting rifle weighs 8 lbs with a Savage LA, Stockade Hunter stock, 22" FW contour barrel in .260 and Leupold compact scope. In comparison, switching to my 24" A&B magnum contour barrel in .338-06 adds 25 oz in weight to the rifle. That might explain why a magnum bore rifle seems to get heavier with age. ;D

If you think that 110PL is heavy, you really need to start eating some Wheaties. My old 110PEL (same gun, just fancifully engraved) wasn't but a half-pound heavier than a modern 111F with the factory (hollow) synthetic stock.

Also, those older 110's used a shorter trigger group that isn't exactly compatible with newer factory and aftermarket stocks. Putting a newer stock on it will leave about 1/4" less of the trigger sticking out through the stock. Same holds true for putting a newer barreled action in that older stock...the trigger will hit the trigger guard before the action seats in the stock.

Of course, you could remedy this by installing an aftermarket trigger at the same time.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain